PDA

View Full Version : M4 home defense sling question?

GaryO
02-23-10, 10:44
I will soon have an M4 mid length carbine with a 6 position stock and an A2 front sight. What kind of a sling set-up do I need for home defense/SHTF and maybe a little walk about hunting? Please include names and parts I will need. Thanks...

Outlander Systems
02-23-10, 10:56
If it were strictly Home Defense, I'd go with any decent single-point sling.

tr1kstanc3
02-23-10, 11:14
I would take a look at Gear Sector and Mapul for their single point offerings especially if this were a home defense use rifle. For longer term carry I would recommend the Vicker's Tactical VCAS 2 point sling.

cgrubb1
02-23-10, 11:26
maybe the magpul MS2. It can be a single point for home defense, or a two point for hunting.

jhs1969
02-23-10, 12:25
http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/tactical-slings-for-the-carbine

citizensoldier16
02-23-10, 14:48
+1 for the Magpul MS2. Its a single and a double point in one...you can't go wrong.

motorolahamm
02-24-10, 07:11
Just hope you have time to put your sling on @ 3am when some one is already in your house, i always dismount my sling when coming back from the range less snag etc. if i am moving thru the house

500grains
02-24-10, 08:28
This is not a direct answer to your question, but I see more disadvantages than advantages to a sling at home. As mentioned above, there is the issue of time to put it on. Next, there is the fact that adrenaline flow will deprive you of fine motor skills and coordination, so simplicity will be better. Also it is possible for the sling to get caught on things like door knobs, bed posts, etc. Further, your arms are not going to get tired just carrying the gun around the house. So IMO unless you use a particular sling all the time and it is part and parcel of your training and your muscle memory, then skip it.

Mung
02-24-10, 08:35
I don't have a a sling on it while in the house. I use a Larue sling with QD swivel that takes seconds to attatch if need be.

HeavyDuty
02-24-10, 08:37
IMO a Boonie Packer 2P-TQA with their M4 stock adapter would be ideal; add an M4-style side sling adapter if you don't already have one on your rifle. It'll let you work with a rapid adjust two point for less than $20 shipped.

Like this:

http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac123/HDF62/TQA-125-M4.jpg

rob_s
02-24-10, 08:44
My HD gun has no iron sights and no sling. White light, Aimpoint, Redi-Mod and (soon) TQ on the stock. It happens to wear a can but only because I already own the can. If I didn't I wouldn't buy one and even though I own it I may still take it off eventually. I keep a stubby VFG as an added control point.

The sights & sling can be added if I need them for a training venue (on a range a sling is like a holster and often non-negotiable) but otherwise it stays pretty basic.

TD mags were just for the picture.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/HD-nosights.jpg

tirod
02-24-10, 09:08
The question being, to sling or not to sling in HD?

When would a homeowner need to secure the weapon to his body when an intruder is in the home? Remember, an intruder won't do what you want - stay out - and is therefore aggressive, agitated, and probably prepared to be combative.

Likely, you ain't. Just woke up, walked in, or otherwise. It's a condition white environment for you, red for them.

You have the carbine in hand aimed at them. What will the sling do to help control the intruder? Better than two rounds COM, if necessary?

Slings are nice for LEO/MP when working the street, cuffing suspects, doing stuff that require securing the weapon while doing something else with the hands. A range is a great example.

Lots of HD "experts" out there recommend slings, but I don't see ANY advantage in HD for the average homeowner. It's a snag magnet, or allows an intruder that got too close to control or wrestle the weapon away.

Walk through the house with a sling flapping around and just check it out for the actual situation. I've got baker rack plant stands with exposed knobs, wrought iron railings with curls, door knobs, bifold door handles, fireplace sets, appliance and cabinet drawer knobs, chair arms, bed posts. whatever. I can hardly make it to the bathroom at 2AM.

Oh, just sling up? Did you have the time, do you practice it, will that not expose the sling to all the above? Does Murphy sleep at night or take a day off?

No sling for me. No cape, either.