PDA

View Full Version : How to convert a dvd to play on your Ipod

Gasitman
02-23-10, 13:14
I found a way to do this finally, it will not work with bluerays from what I have seen, but here are the links if you would like to know.

http://www.anders.com/guides/convert/video/iPod/windows.html

http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod/

bulbvivid
02-23-10, 13:24
Though it's handy information to have, and I don't agree with the law, it's pretty much illegal to remove encryption from encrypted DVDs. Not sure this is the best place for such info.

It's good to know, though, for ripping unencrypted stuff, like family videos, to put on a portable device.

Iyyobr
02-23-10, 14:16
Not sure the legalities of those two sites but there's also a program called tunebite I think .. It's somthing with bite in the name, anyway it does not remove the Erma from the paid media but it doesrecord it in an unprocted format for backups or whatever you would like to do with the media you paid for with the exception of reselling ect . It's also a pay program I haven't paid yet but I dowloaded the trial vesion from cnet

bulbvivid
02-23-10, 14:27
I definitely feel like the DMCA was a bad idea and that it should be illegal for companies to take actions that impede our fair use. My daughter's killed more than a few movies and it would have been nice if it were just backups instead of master disks (wait, maybe it was ;). I can't remember).

But I've seen mods frown on suggesting "illegal" things here. Instead of posting the links, you may just suggest that people PM or email for the info.

Iyyobr
02-23-10, 14:43
Oh and the program I was talking about is 100% legal it works because of loopholes ect they had a few write ups about it

bulbvivid
02-23-10, 14:57
Oh and the program I was talking about is 100% legal it works because of loopholes ect they had a few write ups about it

Apparently a federal judge said making the backups is ok, distributing the software is not. Hollywood has certainly helped make some retarded laws.

As DVD Decrypter facilitates the removal of copy restrictions, certain uses may be illegal under the United States Digital Millennium Copyright Act unless making copies which are covered under the Fair Use Act. In countries without similar laws there may not be any legal restrictions.
On June 6, 2005, the developer (known as "Lightning UK!") announced[1] via the CD Freaks[2] website that he received a cease and desist letter from Macrovision.[3] He later stated it was within his best interests to comply with the letter, and stopped development of the program. By June 7, 2005 a mirror site was up,[4] which allowed people to download the final version (3.5.4.0). On 27 November 2005, Afterdawn.com, a Finnish website, announced that it complied with a letter received from Macrovision demanding that DVD Decrypter be taken down from its site. Shortly after, an original unofficial DVD Decrypter mirror site with no connection to Lightning UK! appeared.
Under United States' Federal law, making a backup copy of a DVD-Video or an audio CD by a consumer is legal under fair use protection. However, this provision of United States law conflicts with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act prohibition of so-called "circumvention measures" of copy protections.
In the noted "321" case, Federal District Judge Susan Illston, of the Northern District of California,[5] ruled that the backup copies made with software such as DVD Decrypter are in fact legal but that distribution of the software used to make them is illegal. As of the date of this revision, neither the US Supreme Court nor the US Congress has taken definitive action on the matter.
The software was still legally available due to many countries not having such restrictions, however, as of November 2005, Macrovision acquired the intellectual property rights to the software and started sending cease-and-desist letters to distributors on the grounds of copyright infringement.[6]
On October 4, 2005, Lightning UK! continued the development of the burning engine used by DVD Decrypter in his new tool, ImgBurn.[7]. ImgBurn, however, does not have the ability to circumvent copy protections of encrypted DVDs.

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_Decrypter)

There's no telling if linking to the software is legal or not. Surely it's cease and desist worthy, though. Hooray for fair use.

Volucris
02-23-10, 15:05
You're the legal owner of the material and you have the ability to make backup copies of said materials for personal use only. You're doing nothing wrong by ripping a Blu Ray movie, DVD, CD, or game for your own use as a backup. There are plenty of programs which help you do all of this. Let it be known that it is illegal to go and rent a movie and rip it, or borrow one of your friend's to rip. If it was truly illegal to make a copy of a movie or cd that you owned for personal use, it would be illegal to play the media because at some point the data on the disc would be copied and stored in a location separate to the disc.

Programs that will help you create legal copies of your legally acquired media:
Handbrake
DVD Shrink
DVDFab
Slysoft's products
IMGburn

etc

AfterDawn is a pretty good media backup discussion community.

MPAA, RIAA, and alike organizations are all designed to prey on harmless individuals and absolutely decimate their lives in favor of big greedy recording companies based upon rulings which stem from a general ignorance towards technology. They rely on the same false logic of the gun control crowd.

chadbag
02-23-10, 15:25
handbrake

Volucris
02-23-10, 15:42
handbrake

Basically what I use. Run Slysoft's AnyDVD with Handbrake for Blu Ray and HD DVD movies. IMGburn is perfect for games. I don't like taking out discs of software to install/reinstall all the time so I keep .iso images of my software on a designated backup drive. Makes things so much faster when you can emulate a disc image using a great program like Slysoft's CloneDrive.

With handbrake you can run it on OSX or Windows and readily make iPhone-friendly versions of movies you own.

Rated21R
02-23-10, 15:42
handbrake.

chadbag
02-23-10, 15:46
With handbrake you can run it on OSX or Windows and readily make iPhone-friendly versions of movies you own.

Or any other "friendly" version you need. I ran it on the Magpul Art of the Tactical Carbine disks and put them on my iPhone and watched some of them last fall on the long plane ride to Japan... And some of the kids DVDs for my son to watch on the plane as well. He did not end up watching any due to the excellent in-flight entertainment system each seat had but I got tired of the movies they offered and got some of the training stuff watched.

kwelz
02-23-10, 17:33
I use Handbrake as well. It works great.

m4fun
02-23-10, 22:14
handbrake - even to store movies on thumb drives for long trips, let say with a laptop where you turn the harddrive off.

mildot
02-27-10, 13:40
handbrake.
Anyone have a link for this?
Will this enable you to "burn" DVD Blue movies with the SlySoft software?
Do ya need a "special" DVD?

ejeffreyhorn
02-27-10, 16:20
I use Smartripper/DVDDecrytper to rip the DVDs and Handbrake to encode for the ipod and Iphone. Occasionally I run across a disk that DVDdecrypter can't handle, but its rare.

Mildot - Do a google search for handbrake. If you can't find it PM me and I may be able to help out.

ghost762
02-27-10, 23:46
An easier way is to get a Mac and use a program called Handbrake. I ripped my whole DVD collection for my upcoming deployment.

kwelz
02-28-10, 07:50
Anyone have a link for this?
Will this enable you to "burn" DVD Blue movies with the SlySoft software?
Do ya need a "special" DVD?

http://handbrake.fr/