PDA

View Full Version : Listening to Mp3s with MSA EarPro

PlatoCATM
02-23-10, 17:28
There has to be a way to connect MSA/Sordin Supreme Pro-X electronic ear-pro to one's Mp3 player or ipod. I read a sketchy how-to on another forum but many of the links were dead and most of the writing unintelligible. I mistakably thought that I could use the cord that came with the headset, but that turned out to be a no-go.

Can anyone write step-by-step instructions on how to listen to one's ipod through a set of electronic hearing protection?

ToddG
02-23-10, 17:51
I've done it with Peltors but haven't set up my Sordins yet.

My advice: take your iPod and your earpro to Radio Shack. You'll almost certainly walk out with a solution in hand.

Chameleox
02-23-10, 19:15
I've done it with Peltors but haven't set up my Sordins yet.

Todd, Are you talking about the small 2 prong ports on Peltors, eg. the Tactical Sports? If so, how did you find the right adaptor? I'm interested in this as well, to run my comms through the headset.
radio shack was none too helpful.

ToddG
02-23-10, 19:20
It's been a couple of years, I don't have any recollection of what the cable looked like or even where I "archived" it. Sorry.

Brother Rat
02-23-10, 19:24
I can plug mine in just like a normal set of headphones to my ipod touch, using the cord that was supplied with the headset... what about your setup makes it a no-go? The plug doesn't fit or? Not to presuppose, but the headset is turned on, right?

vaspence
02-23-10, 19:41
I can plug mine in just like a normal set of headphones to my ipod touch, using the cord that was supplied with the headset...

Ditto the above. Sound quality sucks though, at least to my ears.

Brother Rat
02-23-10, 19:48
Agreed, it's usually pretty quiet.

Ak44
02-23-10, 19:52
I've run my IPOD mini to my Sordin Pros with an AUX cord. The sound quality is low and muffled and seems more of a novelty. I've listened to a few songs but if I wanted to listen to music while I shoot, I'll bring a boom box haha.

GIFFMANN
02-23-10, 22:11
To run into a Peltor, if you're industrious, you can pick up the plug itself from Aircraft Spruce and build a cable. Peltor also sells a cable that goes from the 2 pin to a 3.5 jack. Cost is like $30 though while the jack itself is only $5 and change. The Aircraft Spruce part # is: 11-00701

Heavy Metal
02-23-10, 22:22
Why not just wear your earbuds under your earpro?

PlatoCATM
02-23-10, 22:36
I'm not sure why it isn't working then, unless it is and I don't have it turned up high enough. Both units were turned on though.

I didn't have my ear buds with me in my carry-on and I didn't test it before getting on the plane. My intention was to make it obvious to annoying sojourners that I didn't want them to bother me. Sometimes earbuds aren't enough. Other times I'm trying to drown out monotonous machine gun fire but I'm still too close to go without ear-pro.

It is somewhat of a novelty, but if there was a simple/cheap fix, it might be worth trying. I think I'll venture into the shack when I get a spare evening.

chadbag
02-24-10, 01:22
Are you getting the cord plugged in far enough? I know on my iPhone I had to make sure that the cord was plugged in far enough. Also, you want a stereo to mono converter cord I think. I think that the cord that comes with the Sordin is a mono but the iPhone/iPod touch jack is a stereo cable.

I did it once and it sounded fine but it was a year ago and I have not bothered since.

M4Fundi
02-24-10, 02:44
I run my ear buds under the ear pro, buuut I'm not sure if it is reducing the seal and increasing the risk of hearing damage. I was hoping to get Sordins someday and plug in. I guess you could get the gel cups and customize them to run your earbud thru them:confused:

I haven't done this in awhile as I did it at my old range where I felt safe, but as I now train in the boon docks I like to better hear anyone/vehicles approach while shooting, so no iPod for now.

Heavy Metal
02-24-10, 09:56
buuut I'm not sure if it is reducing the seal and increasing the risk of hearing damage.

It is likely not doing nearly as much to the seal as the arms on your Eyepro is doing to it.

I hope you wear Eyepro.

John Hearne
02-24-10, 11:02
I've run my MP3 player into my Peltors while working in the shop and cutting/grinding metal. You need the connector that has two prongs on one end and the standard 3.5 mm connector on the other. I got mine from LE Targets (www.letargets.com) and the setup works well.