PDA

View Full Version : Scored BCM upper today, now what the hell do I do with it?!

tmanker
02-23-10, 18:12
I scored this today. http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-BFH-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-LaRue-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20bfh%20lt12.htm I received the email this morning and they were out of stock this afternoon. I need a set of BUIS, most likely Troy. I need to mate it to a lower, I need rail panels, sling...but most of all the optic. I'm not sure if I'm going to go with red dot or conventional scope. I have two bushmaster rifles with conventional scopes and my m&p MOE is showing up next week which will get a T1 in larue mount. I'm thinking a TA11 or 31 will fit nicely on this new upper. I wouldn't mind enrolling in some training and using the new BCM. Any ideas for optics?

JonnyVain
02-23-10, 18:32
Primary Arms makes high quality training optics. You could buy a red dot and a 4x ACOG clone for around $200 combined, and decide which you like before dropping $400 on an optic. PA lasts well and stays zeroed, but the battery life is lacking.

RetreatHell
02-23-10, 18:58
Although you're already getting an aimpoint T-1 in Larue mount for your M&P15, I'd highly recommend buying another one for this carbine as well. I have 3 T-1s and they rock! When paired with a LT mount, it's pretty much bomb-proof. The only other red dot sights that are either on or near the same level as the T-1 are, well, other aimpoint models in Larue mounts;)

That's what I'd suggest for a non-magnified optic for your new upper. If you want some magnification with it, then there's always the aimpoint 3X magnifier (in a Larue flip to side mount, of course).

I'm not going to comment on any Trijicon optics, simply because I don't have anywhere near the experience with them as I do the aimpoint red dot sights. Whatever you do though, don't skimp on optics for that sweet new BCM upper of yours.

Just my $.02, anyways.

Semper Fi,

-Paul

SWATcop556
02-23-10, 19:07
I agree with Paul and would just get another T1. I use them on my BCM rifles and love the setup. If you want magnification you can get a 3x magnifier or try out the trijicon accupoint, which has great glass.

Primary Arms makes high quality training optics. You could buy a red dot and a 4x ACOG clone for around $200 combined, and decide which you like before dropping $400 on an optic. PA lasts well and stays zeroed, but the battery life is lacking.

Or save the $200 for a quality optic instead of throwing it away on shit optics. I would rather run irons only than trust that junk. Optics are not where you want to be cheap. You definitely get what you pay for there.

RetreatHell
02-23-10, 19:26
Or save the $200 for a quality optic instead of throwing it away on shit optics. I would rather run irons only than trust that junk. Optics are not where you want to be cheap. You definitely get what you pay for there.

I was trying to be more polite about it, but yeah, this:p LOL!!

-Paul

JonnyVain
02-23-10, 20:25
I agree with Paul and would just get another T1. I use them on my BCM rifles and love the setup. If you want magnification you can get a 3x magnifier or try out the trijicon accupoint, which has great glass.

Have you ever used a PA optic? They're not made for field use. As I stated, they are a training optic. Anyway, isn't that what co-witness is for? If the optic fails, you use the irons. I have a quick release mount too.

It wouldn't be a waste of money if it helps him decide. He could always sell them. PA has a good reputation.

tmanker
02-23-10, 21:00
Are most of you running 1/3 co-witness with the LT660 mount? Is there any reason to run absolute with this setup? Are the larue BUIS the way to go to mate up with this setup? I can't wait to get this setup and throw it across the room at a block wall like Pat Rogers.

Cascades236
02-23-10, 21:02
Unbelievable how fast this was gone. Woke up, saw the email. Tried to confirm with my bank that I had the funds and they're sold out. Might settle in the DD rail.

tmanker
02-23-10, 21:13
I really want this same weapon with the FSB and larue 9.0. I think I can settle for this for now! :D

jvencius
02-23-10, 21:25
When I get my next AR, THIS'LL BE THE OPTIC (http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=325)

tmanker
02-23-10, 21:31
I've fondled the accupoint numerous times as well as shooting it a few. I thought the glass was good, triangle reticle didn't impress me and it almost felt toy-like to me. I'm not sure why I say this, but that was the feeling I had walking away from it each time. I think if I was going to go 1-4x (or 1.1-4) I would go with S&B. The good news is that my life doesn't depend on the optic.

GermanSynergy
02-24-10, 10:38
Throw a T-1 on it and hit the range! :cool:

KalashniKEV
02-24-10, 11:24
I say save the T1 for an application where it will shine, like on an HK or AK where you need to get low.

I personally vote for a TA31 series ACOG on that upper... that's what I have on my Recce.

jsharp
02-24-10, 11:56
Have you ever used a PA optic? They're not made for field use. As I stated, they are a training optic. Anyway, isn't that what co-witness is for? If the optic fails, you use the irons. I have a quick release mount too.

It wouldn't be a waste of money if it helps him decide. He could always sell them. PA has a good reputation.

I bought one of the Primary Arms M3 clones for this very reason. I've never used a 1X red dot on a carbine so I decided I'd try one before I dropped $450+ If I like it I'll spend the cash on the real thing. If not, I'm not out much.

If I bought the real thing first and didn't like I'd be out more than $69 when I sold it...

Skyyr
02-24-10, 12:12

Why waste money on something that you know is inter-rim in the first place? No disrespect meant to anyone, but this is why the myth that you have to be "rich" to afford nice rigs exists.

People blow $200 on a "clone" optic, and (if it's a tube-type scope or similar) another $100 on a "holdover" mount, and then they're out $300. If they decide they like that setup and want the "real thing", no one's going to pay them the half of what they put into it. Now they're out $300 (over half the price of the real thing) and they'll MAYBE get $100 back. Now, instead of paying $600-700 up front, they either end up spending $800-1000 on the same optic, or they can't afford it because of the initial "wasted" investment of $200-300.

Compare that to simply buying the real thing the first time: if they like it, they got what they wanted without having to waste their money on a clone. If they don't, they can knock $25 off the price they paid and sell it on the EE as "Like New" (and it WILL sell).

This doesn't mean that clones are totally worthless or even unusable, as the PA clones are pretty darn nice (for clones). If you're the kind of guy who only shoots 250 rounds a year at the range and his gun is simply a range toy, then a clone will serve you well and there's nothing wrong with using one. BUT... if you plan on upgrading, just skip the upgrade and either buy or save up for what you wanted the first time around. You'll save time and money in the long run. The same applies for the rifles listed on "the chart." There's nothing inherently wrong with having a rifle on the right side of the chart and, if it's a range toy, then have fun and treat it as such. However, buying a "right side" rifle and then trying to upgrade it to make it "just as good as" the left side of the chart rifles is insane from a money, time, and practicality standpoint.

Buy once and cry once... and you'll be able to get many more "nice toys" than if you waste money slowly upgrading from clones and knock-offs. Sorry, but it's the truth.

jasonhgross
02-24-10, 12:34
Go for the T-1 with Larue Mount right out the door and you wont be dissapointed in the future.

jsharp
02-24-10, 13:12
Why waste money on something that you know is inter-rim in the first place? No disrespect meant to anyone, but this is why the myth that you have to be "rich" to afford nice rigs exists.

<snip>

Buy once and cry once... and you'll be able to get many more "nice toys" than if you waste money slowly upgrading from clones and knock-offs. Sorry, but it's the truth.

Every situation is different. It depends on the $ numbers and what you can do with the parts and pieces if you decide to upgrade. If you're spending 50% as much for a cheap copy it probably doesn't make much sense. If you're spending 10% or 15% as much and you can use the cheap part on something else or dispose of it with minimal loss, then you're out little by going that route. It's a low risk way to go with low upfront costs.

I've got great optics, and not so great ones. I didn't put a $75 scope on my Sako bolt gun. But I won't put a $500 optic on a $125 Chinese SKS either...

Skyyr
02-24-10, 14:49
I've got great optics, and not so great ones. I didn't put a $75 scope on my Sako bolt gun. But I won't put a $500 optic on a $125 Chinese SKS either...

True, but that's because you're treating the $125 SKS as a "cheap" gun. If you buy a Olympic Arms AR, then a PA clone is more than enough optic for your gun, as the gun will probably break before the optic will :D (j/k... sort of).

Point being, match your optics to your weapon.

DTHN2LGS
02-24-10, 15:01
Every situation is different. It depends on the $ numbers and what you can do with the parts and pieces if you decide to upgrade. If you're spending 50% as much for a cheap copy it probably doesn't make much sense. If you're spending 10% or 15% as much and you can use the cheap part on something else or dispose of it with minimal loss, then you're out little by going that route. It's a low risk way to go with low upfront costs.

These two schools of thought seem to be unreconcilable. Each side will NEVER convince the other side they are "Right."

I fall on the "Buy once, cry once" side myself. :cool:

ETA: Stupid Multi-Quote did not work. Site should always just quote the entire previous post with included quote.

jsharp
02-24-10, 15:52
These two schools of thought seem to be unreconcilable. Each side will NEVER convince the other side they are "Right."

I fall on the "Buy once, cry once" side myself. :cool:

ETA: Stupid Multi-Quote did not work. Site should always just quote the entire previous post with included quote.

Yeah, you're probably right. Honestly I fall on the same side 90% of the time. But like anything else, there are exceptions. That was my only point. ;)

Aggie510
02-24-10, 16:09
I'm thinking a TA11 or 31 will fit nicely on this new upper. I wouldn't mind enrolling in some training and using the new BCM. Any ideas for optics?

I have a TA31 on my AR. The optical quality is superb (better than Leopold IMO). The TA11 has a longer eye relief that a lot of people prefer. I have my TA31 mounted with the rear eye-piece directly over the CH. There is enough room for a folding rear BUIS and the eye relief is perfect for the "nose to charging handle" form.

You can't go wrong with an ACOG. They are as solid as a rock.

Also the BAC is a pretty nifty, little mind trick, and isn't that hard to pickup on.

tmanker
02-25-10, 13:34
Well, I pulled the trigger on the T1 with larue mount. I may have to try an ACOG down the road. Are most folks running the T1 on top of the receiver or are there some running it on the handguard?

KalashniKEV
02-25-10, 13:39
I have my TA31 mounted with the rear eye-piece directly over the CH. There is enough room for a folding rear BUIS and the eye relief is perfect for the "nose to charging handle" form.

That's proppa...

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/IMG_0040.jpg

DTHN2LGS
02-25-10, 17:42
Well, I pulled the trigger on the T1 with larue mount. I may have to try an ACOG down the road. Are most folks running the T1 on top of the receiver or are there some running it on the handguard?

On the receiver all the way forward.

Aggie510
02-25-10, 21:34
That's proppa...

Glad you approve. :p

KalashniKEV
02-26-10, 19:12
Glad you approve. :p

No doubt.

GLOCKMASTER
02-26-10, 19:19
This is what I did with my new Bravo Company 14.5" upper that arrived earlier this week.;)

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n355/STR8SHTER/DSC_0214.jpg
http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n355/STR8SHTER/DSC_0218.jpg
http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n355/STR8SHTER/DSC_0222.jpg
http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n355/STR8SHTER/DSC_0227.jpg
http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n355/STR8SHTER/DSC_0235.jpg
http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n355/STR8SHTER/DSC_0239-1.jpg
http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n355/STR8SHTER/DSC_0242-2.jpg
http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n355/STR8SHTER/DSC_0247-2.jpg
http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n355/STR8SHTER/DSC_0250-1.jpg
http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n355/STR8SHTER/DSC_0266-1.jpg

tmanker
02-27-10, 00:09
Well, like I said, the T1 is on the way. I ordered larue-marked Troy sights today and magpul xtm panels. The VCAS sling is coming next and most likely a TA31 with larue mount.