PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Tractors

mmike87
02-23-10, 18:47
So, I should close on my new house in early March. I have nearly 4.5 acres, and about half is probably grass.

Obviously, the push mower is not going to cut it.

So, educate me on lawn tractors. I know some of the important features to look for, like 4150 steel, properly staked carrier keys, and a Milspec receiver extension. What else do I need to be concerned with? What brands to people like, and why? Cub Cadet? Troy Bilt? John Deere? BCM?

Closing costs are very high, so I don't have a lot of cash. So, money is definitely a factor. I'd like something I can put a blade on to push snow (obviously, only a few inches at a time, not going to push two feet of snow with a 20hp tractor.)

Thoughts? Thanks.

Elvis269
02-23-10, 20:14
Nothing runs like a Deere...

larry0071
02-23-10, 20:26
Well, I wont get any high praise for this but....

I have a 24HP Sears GARDEN tractor, Hydrostatic trans. Purchased in 2002, its been 7 summers of weekly cutting my 3 acres, and I dont own a square foot of level ground in my 20 acres.

I added the 80LB per rear wheel sand weights that I got at a local Husky dealer (Husky makes the Sears Garden tractors, or at least did back then) and I also put chains on the rear tires.

I do not plow with it because I use a Yamaho Rhino 660 for that with a Warn 72" plow and Warn RT4.0 (4,000 LB) winch.

In seven years of cutting and 3 sets of blades I have only had 3 belt replacements that were no big deal. Never a mechanical breakdown, nothing but oil changes and 3 belts.

For the cost, I say you are hard pressed to do better. If you can afford a John Deer Diesel.... get it, but you'll be paying about the equal of 4-5 Sears units.

Steer clear of those junk ones at Lowes and Home Depot, the ones with odd names not known to professionals lawn care folk.

Yellow or Green are about tops.... that would be Cub Cadet in Garden or small farm and John Deer in Small Farm. I'm not a fan of the Deer garden tractors, I feel that a Cub will do you better. Also, if they still exist, White made some real quality garden tractors.

Side note: Go big on the deck. If its a 42" or 46" deck, your going to learn to hate it. Sure, they scalp less... but time spent cutting grass is time wasted. Go big.

mmike87
02-24-10, 07:43
Lowes is selling Husqvarna (sp?) and Troy Bilt. I have a TB push mower and it's been great so far ... are they not any good?

HeavyDuty
02-24-10, 08:33
I bought a Simplicity when we moved to this house in '02 and I've never regretted my choice - except that I really wish I had bought a zero-turn instead.

13MPG
02-24-10, 08:51
The John Deere and Cubs sold at Lowes and Home Depot are low end units but can still do the job. A friend who worked at a Deere shop told me the main differences are the metal quality and the motor quality. The “pro shop” tractors can last a lifetime. I would look at the Deere X500 with the 54” cut.

Think of it like comparing a RRA AR and Colt AR. The RRA will work for some fun plinking but would you want to take it into harms way? Where the Colt will do what you want it to whenever you want.

Troy Built is ok for smaller lawns but you should get something a bit better with the size of the lawn that you have.

Right now I have a Sears tractor that was given to me as a gift when I bought my house. My main issue with it is that it is only a 42” cut and I have a 2 acres to cut. It’s held up ok and I have used it a bush hog at times to clear scrub pines, lol. When it dies I plan on getting a X500.

High Desert
02-24-10, 09:05
I bought a Toro Zero turn about three years ago. It cut my lawn mowing time in half. If you have a lot of trees, beds and other things in the lawn as part of the landscape, then I would not consider anything else.

Now that being said, the most valuable machine on my place is my Kubota farm tractor. I dont know what your situation is, but they sure save your back for all the chores around a small ranch / farm.

Kubota runs 0% interest loans all the time, so you can buy it on their dime.

Congratulations on your new place.

HD

mmike87
02-24-10, 09:11
The John Deere and Cubs sold at Lowes and Home Depot are low end units but can still do the job. A friend who worked at a Deere shop told me the main differences are the metal quality and the motor quality. The “pro shop” tractors can last a lifetime. I would look at the Deere X500 with the 54” cut.

Think of it like comparing a RRA AR and Colt AR. The RRA will work for some fun plinking but would you want to take it into harms way? Where the Colt will do what you want it to whenever you want.

Troy Built is ok for smaller lawns but you should get something a bit better with the size of the lawn that you have.

Right now I have a Sears tractor that was given to me as a gift when I bought my house. My main issue with it is that it is only a 42” cut and I have a 2 acres to cut. It’s held up ok and I have used it a bush hog at times to clear scrub pines, lol. When it dies I plan on getting a X500.

There is NO WAY I can afford that X500. Not even close. I have $11,000 is closing costs to pay ... :(

Nathan_Bell
02-24-10, 09:13
Unless you know the business owner, well, do not purchase a used unit from a lawnservice. These things are being sold for a reason, they are right at the edge of costing huge $$$ to repair.

If money is tight right now, I would track down an old Cub, JD, or Simplicity for cheap just to keep the grass mowed. Do some thinking on what you really are going to be using the tractor for. www.tractorbynet.com has a very good forum community to help you go beyond mow grass, maybe push snow.

13MPG
02-24-10, 09:26
There is NO WAY I can afford that X500. Not even close. I have $11,000 is closing costs to pay ... :(

Since you are in C'ville check the Buck Saver or Trading Post. From time to time some really great deals show up. It is a ton of dough to shell out for a new one but if you look at it over a 10 or 15 year period it's not really so bad, at least that’s what I am trying to tell myself:D.

Carne Frio
02-24-10, 09:50
Goats. Great grass cutters and come with built in
fertilizer dispenser. Their offspring are excellent
for BBQ at about 8 to 10 months old.:D

lethal dose
02-24-10, 10:17
Obviously, the push mower is not going to cut it.

Was this an intended pun? Haha. I've had great luck with the craftsman platform. If you buy off season, great deals can be had. Sipmplicity is good, too. Imho, jd is a bit overpriced and qc is up and down... that's just personal experience. Snapper makes a good zero, if you're in the market.

mmike87
02-24-10, 11:35
Was this an intended pun? Haha. I've had great luck with the craftsman platform. If you buy off season, great deals can be had. Sipmplicity is good, too. Imho, jd is a bit overpriced and qc is up and down... that's just personal experience. Snapper makes a good zero, if you're in the market.

The pun was unintentional. :)

I can't spend $6000 on a tractor, I am probably more in the $1500 range which obviously limits me somewhat. Good investment or not, if I don't have the cash it isn't going to happen, and other than cars and houses I never buy on credit.

I'll shop around a bit and see what I can dig up ... so is the general consensus that Troy Bilt are no good?

orionz06
02-24-10, 11:44
On the HD specials, we had one growing up. It wasnt the best, but we kept it washed, kept good oil in it, and took care of it and it is still running strong. My uncle got one at the same time also. Using his less, but not taking care of it has killed it.

My only concern for a tractor in that price range is the amount of grass that you might have to mow.

lethal dose
02-24-10, 14:35
Craftsman is top notch in that price range. Husqvarna is good, too.

Avenger29
02-24-10, 14:36
Now that being said, the most valuable machine on my place is my Kubota farm tractor. I dont know what your situation is, but they sure save your back for all the chores around a small ranch / farm

I fully agree, we love our little John Deere "utility" tractor. 33hp, front end loader, 3 pt hitch, both rear and underbelly PTOs...most excellent, it does everything and is in use constantly. But it also cost us $15K, too.

As far as garden tractors, I've heard that you should stay away from Cub Cadet, that's word from one of our maintenance guys at work, other than that, I don't know.

I also tend to prefer Briggs and Stratton engines on any equipment I buy, but that's just me.

orionz06
02-24-10, 14:38
I would avoid craftsmen only because typically their tractors (in that price range) are too often the same as HD, Lowes, and other places. You can get the same thing for a lower price elsewhere. I worked at a Sears and the lawn and garden kids helped us get our tractor by following the cross store branding/model info.

lethal dose
02-24-10, 14:43
I've had best luck with craftsman... buy off season, though.