PDA

View Full Version : MASSIVE ISSUES

kraigy25
02-23-10, 19:15
so i've got a superior arms ar 15, this is my seconed rifle, never had a problem before with them. but now, the rifle wont cycle, i can get one shot and the bolt will only blow back a quarter of an inch, ive been using wolf ammo for quite awhile, i've checked, and rechecked the internals, they look fine, i can't figure otu why it wont cycle..any ideas????

should i have replaced the gas tube?

Boss Hogg
02-23-10, 19:26
Dude......I'm not sure that the cycling issue is the massive issue.

kraigy25
02-23-10, 19:30
thats why i have a five inch flash hider on it, that way its legal again....at least thats how i interpreted the NFA laws...i could be wrong...

Brother Rat
02-23-10, 19:31
Might be a good idea to square away the legality thing before figuring out the functioning thing. I dunno, just a thought.
ETA: Is the flash hider pinned and welded in place?

kraigy25
02-23-10, 19:34
yes, its welded

bgoode
02-27-10, 20:26
clean, lube, and try different ammo

Jay Cunningham
02-27-10, 20:28
While cleaning and lubing it is always a good idea, if it is exhibiting this behavior with the same ammo that it used to run on, you may have a weakness in the gas system. Possibly FSB, but more likely culprits are carrier key or gas rings.

JonnyVain
02-27-10, 22:36
- What length barrel.

- What length gas?

- What type of receiver extension and buffer?

- Is this a new rifle, or have you used it fine before, and now have problems?

- What was the last mod you made before this problem occurred?

Remove your BCG, pull your bolt in the extract position (pulled out) and set the BCG bolt down on a table. If it collapses, you need new rings.

KellyTTE
02-28-10, 02:50
While cleaning and lubing it is always a good idea, if it is exhibiting this behavior with the same ammo that it used to run on, you may have a weakness in the gas system. Possibly FSB, but more likely culprits are carrier key or gas rings.

What The Katar said, or possibly a popped primer inside the gas key. That one sucks and it happened to me at LMS Carbine I in LV.

Iraqgunz
02-28-10, 08:19
I hate to do this, but I have to.

The first thing you need to do is ask yourself- "Have I changed anything on the weapon that could affect its' performance"? If not, then you need to troubleshoot.

The weakest link in the M16 FOW is the bolt carrier key, gas tube, gas rings and potentially the gas port in the barrel. When these components get worn or break the weapon will usually start to sputter and die. Here is what I would do.

1. Clean the weapon and inspect the above mentioned critical components. I would ensure that the carrier key is clear and as mentioned by KellyTTE look for a primer or other obstruction in the key itself.

2. Inspect the gas rings and test to see if they are worn.

3. Check the gas tube and make sure that the roll pin is still in place and that everything lines up correctly. Look for excess bleeding around the FSB.

Get a new, known reliable magazine and try some different ammo. Just because the Wolf was working, it doesn't mean that you don't have some bad rounds. If possible get some ammo that is known to perform well all around.

If you do all of the above, it should be GTG unless you have poured alot of rounds through the barrel and the gas port has eroded. Which isn't the case here based upon your post.

I always have a new mag, buffer spring and various parts in the shop that I can use as control parts to check the usual suspects. I also highly recommend that when buying ammo, buy several types that are known performers and keep them on hand. The reasoning is simple. If you sink alot of money into one type and or lot of ammo and it is defective or gets recalled you are pretty much screwed until it is resolved. This happened to us when I was in the military and we had a large stockpile of 9mm ball that was reclassed to unserviceable. As a supporting armory we all of a sudden had very little ammo left to issue to units for their needs.

KellyTTE
02-28-10, 08:27
I hate to do this, but I have to.

*hurriedly boxes up a free internetz for IG with his box of LOL to ship out tomorrow*
:D

kraigy25
02-28-10, 19:28
i cut the 16 inch barrel to a 12 inch, and added a five inch muzzle break (welded), the gas tube is the stock carbine length. i added a front gas block, as well. the holes are lined up, it'll half cycle now, but wont eject the spent casing all the way, i've checked the gas rings, they look fine, the key is still factory tight. and i've torn the rifle down and cleaned and oiled everything

Don Robison
02-28-10, 19:47
i cut the 16 inch barrel to a 12 inch, and added a five inch muzzle break (welded), the gas tube is the stock carbine length. i added a front gas block, as well. the holes are lined up, it'll half cycle now, but wont eject the spent casing all the way, i've checked the gas rings, they look fine, the key is still factory tight. and i've torn the rifle down and cleaned and oiled everything

Did you have the gas port opened up? If not, your gas port is somewhere in the neighborhood of .063 for a 16" barrel; the gas port for an 11.5" barrel is .081 so you're under gassed.

BTW: Why would you cut a 16" barrel down to 12" only to add a flash hider that makes it 17" and gives it none of the benefits of a short or long barrel?:confused:

kraigy25
02-28-10, 19:51
you bring up a good point...lol...idk honestly

Jay Cunningham
02-28-10, 19:52
You cut it to 12" but you did not modify the gas port?

HD1911
02-28-10, 19:52
Did you have the gas port opened up? If not, your gas port is somewhere in the neighborhood of .063 for a 16" barrel; the gas port for an 11.5" barrel is .081 so you're under gassed.

BTW: Why would you cut a 16" barrel down to 12" only to add a flash hider that makes it 17" and gives it none of the benefits of a short or long barrel?:confused:

yeah really :confused:

shittercrewchief
02-28-10, 19:56
Sounds like a waste and your rifle doesn't run now. As said above under gased and most likely the port size.

R/Tdrvr
03-01-10, 10:18
This happened to us when I was in the military and we had a large stockpile of 9mm ball that was reclassed to unserviceable. As a supporting armory we all of a sudden had very little ammo left to issue to units for their needs.

Oh, the joy. It really sucks when you have guys deployed at sea with the same ammo that was just reclassed. :eek:

ra2bach
03-01-10, 10:46
so i've got a superior arms ar 15, this is my seconed rifle, never had a problem before with them. but now, the rifle wont cycle, i can get one shot and the bolt will only blow back a quarter of an inch, ive been using wolf ammo for quite awhile, i've checked, and rechecked the internals, they look fine, i can't figure otu why it wont cycle..any ideas????

should i have replaced the gas tube?

hahahhaa, this is funny...

alright, a joke's a joke. which one of you guys is this???

JonnyVain
03-01-10, 11:40
you bring up a good point...lol...idk honestly

Who cut your barrel down? You need to contact them and ask. I think we're all pretty confident this is the issue. Even if they did widen the gas port, Wolf is underpowered. You might have to ask them to widen it some more to cycle the cheap ammo. It will run pretty dirty with a wide port and steel ammo though.

Iraqgunz
03-02-10, 10:35
ATTENTION

This is exactly why people need to DO THEIR RESEARCH before they start monkeying around with their stuff. A knowledgeable gunsmith/armorer would not have just cut down the barrel without also opening the gas port to the correct dimensions. What baffles me even more is why you cut down a 16" to begin with and then had someone weld a large flash hider on there making it longer.

I am almost certain that if you were to replace the barrel (which I highly recommend) with a good 16" barrel it would start to function properly.

I would also look at getting some other types of ammo not weak stuff and seeing what happens as well.

CAVDOC
03-02-10, 10:41
agree with iraqgunz- also the FIRST and LAST rules with any weapon system but especially with ar's and 1911's in my experience-if it works leave it alone- no other 2 weapon systems see more failures come from efforts to "fix" what is not borke!

kraigy25
03-02-10, 10:49
yeah, ill agree, that was a retard move on my part...i put my "ar" upper on the mill, and milled out the gas port, and it works fine now..thank you for everyone's advice

JonnyVain
03-02-10, 14:23
yeah, ill agree, that was a retard move on my part...i put my "ar" upper on the mill, and milled out the gas port, and it works fine now..thank you for everyone's advice

I take it that means you cut your own barrel down ;). Glad to hear it works now.