PDA

View Full Version : Scratch Build rifle. Input needed. Building parts list

WinSomeLoseNone
02-23-10, 20:08
Ok, So I own and built up a 16" bushmaster and now want to build a custom rifle. Basically I need to build a parts list so that I can start ordering and assembling.
All I have at this point is the accessories and parts I have already used on my current rifle.

Now I need help selecting Upper/Lower, Barrel 16", BCG, gasblock and anything I'm forgetting that is not on the list. I am not made of money but the purpose of this build is to create a high quality weapon. Also, Have not decided on carbine or mid length gas system, I guess whatever works better with the CASV-S system which covers a carbine fully and a mid partially. I would prefer a heavy profile barrel for strength/accuracy.

Lower & Parts
-Noveske Bare Lower $180
-Daniel Defense Lower Parts Kit $70
-VLTOR EMOD stock kit -$187
-Magpul BAD level -$25
-Magpul MOE+ Grip -$25
-Magpul trigger guard -$15 - part of DD kit

Upper & Parts
-VLTOR Modular upper $220
-BCM BCG -$140
-Centurion 16" mid-weight w/gasblock -$375
-Delta ring assembly/barrel nut/gas tube ~$30
-VLTOR CASV-S rail system -$278
-KAC Buis -$200
-TROY front BUIS -$100
-Magpul MOE RVG -$25
-Phantom 5C2 Flash Guard -$30
-BCM Mod4 ChargHandle -$40

Optics & Other
-Aimpoint ML3 2moa w/ mount -$570
-LaRue RAS II mount
-Vickers VCAS Sling -$75

Thanks for your advice!

mhall
02-23-10, 21:39
go with the centurion arms hammer forged mid-length barrel with the pinned gas block. triple the barrel life, accurate,can go lightweight as well. good stuff and monty is a good guy as well. i have a bcm bcg that is pretty nice,it has all the features that one would want in a quality bolt can get it ion bond coated as well. thats my .02 cents,Mike

WinSomeLoseNone
02-23-10, 22:24
go with the centurion arms hammer forged mid-length barrel with the pinned gas block. triple the barrel life, accurate,can go lightweight as well. good stuff and monty is a good guy as well. i have a bcm bcg that is pretty nice,it has all the features that one would want in a quality bolt can get it ion bond coated as well. thats my .02 cents,Mike

Where can I get centurion arms barrels? they don't seem to sell from their site.

Edit... n/m they do, anyone know if distributor prices are cheaper than the manufacturer prices?

seebee
02-23-10, 23:12
I have also done a complete build from scratch..
I don't have a lot of tools so I had to buy a complete upper.. oh well.
my friend is building 2 ar's and using daniel defense cold forged barrels..
I would prob. buy one one day.. do you really think that people can actually use the full potential of their barrels? not insulting.. some can yes.. but i'd say 99percent NO!
so it really doesn't matter in my book. if you want something that accurate get a savage model 12... I've seen people shoot 300+ yards with 16inch barrel extremely accurately..
one thing I also got into was the spring.. ordered a wolff soft spring and a davidd tubb spring too.. a bit extra money but want to see what happens.
good luck..

WinSomeLoseNone
02-23-10, 23:50
I have also done a complete build from scratch..
I don't have a lot of tools so I had to buy a complete upper.. oh well.
my friend is building 2 ar's and using daniel defense cold forged barrels..
I would prob. buy one one day.. do you really think that people can actually use the full potential of their barrels? not insulting.. some can yes.. but i'd say 99percent NO!
so it really doesn't matter in my book. if you want something that accurate get a savage model 12... I've seen people shoot 300+ yards with 16inch barrel extremely accurately..
one thing I also got into was the spring.. ordered a wolff soft spring and a davidd tubb spring too.. a bit extra money but want to see what happens.
good luck..

Special tools aren't needed for the upper really, just an armorers wrench.

seebee
02-25-10, 09:23
Special tools aren't needed for the upper really, just an armorers wrench.

so if I buy a barrel, upper, gas block, front grip, compensator, gas tube and other parts you can put it all together with an armorers wrench? do you need a vice or just stick it between the knees?

bar197
02-25-10, 17:41
A bench vise and an upper receiver block that holds the upper and clamps into the vise is pretty much a must. A basic set of roll pin punches comes in handy also. As for the Centurion barrel, Rainier Arms sells them but I don't know if they are any cheaper.

WinSomeLoseNone
02-25-10, 20:31
so if I buy a barrel, upper, gas block, front grip, compensator, gas tube and other parts you can put it all together with an armorers wrench? do you need a vice or just stick it between the knees?

I agree that a bench vise and receiver block is necessary to be able to properly install the barrel.

But basically yea, some punches help. I used a very small finishing nail to drive out the tiny roll pins. A pair of robber coated pliers help.

Remember these rifles were designed to be simple and rugged. They were intentionally made to be easily assembled to facilitate mass production. My local gunsmith said he can assemble a rifle from a box of parts in a few minutes.

seebee
02-25-10, 20:35
A bench vise and an upper receiver block that holds the upper and clamps into the vise is pretty much a must. A basic set of roll pin punches comes in handy also. As for the Centurion barrel, Rainier Arms sells them but I don't know if they are any cheaper.

Thank you.. yes those are all very good tools to have arround.. Brownells sells a cool kit made of hardened plastic to hold everything while in vice.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=22385/Product/AR_15_M16_UPPER_RECEIVER_ACTION_BLOCK

WinSomeLoseNone
02-25-10, 20:46
I'm excited now, I think I might buy a Noveske lower for 180 from Rainer and get a parts kit assemble it myself and go from there.

I feel like it would be a real accomplishment to build a full rifle from a completely stripped upper/lower with the parts I have hand selected.

It seems like I could build a very high quality rifle for only slightly more than a fully assembled run of the mill weapon.

Is there any benefit to the different lower parts kits?*

bar197
02-26-10, 16:32
For me, there is no comparison between selecting your parts and hand assembling your own gun and buying one off the shelf. You have a feeling of pride in your weapon knowing that you built it. And also, there is no better way to truly learn the gun inside and out. Building your own rifle is probably the best learning tool there is. As far as lower parts kits go I have found none better than G&R's kits. They are right in line as far as price with any other parts kits on the market and they are of much higher quality. Stag/CMT also makes a good kit, but other than that for the $ difference it's not worth it to try and save a few bucks by going with DPMS, etc.

seebee
02-28-10, 09:06
[QUOTE=

Is there any benefit to the different lower parts kits?*[/QUOTE]

I really like the Rock River Arms 2 stage trigger and parts.. well made and everything fit purrfectly. I couldn't be happier.

Get good parts that you want the first time. my theory.