PDA

View Full Version : I will never make fun of math teachers again

Spinone
02-23-10, 20:28
Another "gun free zone" shooting. Where the hell do these people come from? A middle school? This school is only a 30 minute drive from my home and is also quite close to Columbine High School. And why the hell to schools still have the students hide in the classrooms?

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_14456094

2 students shot, 1 man arrested at Deer Creek Middle School
By Howard Pankratz, Kevin Vaughan and Joey Bunch
The Denver Post

Posted: 02/23/2010 03:37:08 PM MST
Updated: 02/23/2010 06:28:45 PM MST

Deer Creek Middle School math teacher apparently tackled gunman. Two students have been shot at the Deer Creek Middle School this afternoon and the suspected shooter - an adult male - is in custody, according to the Jefferson County Sheriff's department.

Mark Techmeyer, spokesman for the sheriff's department, said the two juveniles have been transported to a hospital where they are in stable condition.

He said both victims were outside the school.

The shooting was reported at 3:14 p.m., according to Techmeyer. The students were identified as Regan Webber and Matt Thieu. Both 8th graders were being treated at Littleton Adventist Hospital where Regan was listed in good condition and Matt in fair condition, according to hospital spokeswoman Maurine Taylor.

Techmeyer said that the wounds are not life-threatening although the man was using a "high-powered rifle."

Jared Nelson, 13, was on a bus when he saw the gunman round a corner on the north side of the school, pull a rifle off his shoulder, fire a round into the air and then shoot a student.

"It was kind of shocking when I saw it happening," he said.

Several people said that math teacher David Benke then charged and tackled the gunman as he got off a second shot.

Sean Ahearn, 13, saw the same scene unfold, dropped his cello, and jumped in a stranger's car. Then he called his mother, Colleen, with chilling words: "Don't come and get me. Somebody's shooting in the school. I'm in a lady's car."

Luke Myrant, 14, says an older guy came in the front door and fired one shot into the air and then reloaded.

"He didn't look happy at all," Luke said.

The kids scattered.

"I was scared to death for my life," Luke said. "My body was shaking and my lip was quivering like I was cold."

"I've never been so scared in my life."

Teachers were telling kids to get down and not make any noise. The kids were scattered and began texting one another.

Techmeyer said the gun used was a high-powered rifle.

Techmeyer said the man launched his attack as the kids were leaving school and boarding school buses.

Outside, monitoring the school bus boarding, were several staff, said the sheriff's spokesman.

He said that two staff members saw the shooter and simultaneously tackled him. He said a third staff member rushed to their aid and all three were able to disarm the man.

"There were some true heroes here today," said the Techmeyer.

By the time deputies arrived the man was being held by school staff and had been disarmed, he added.

Techmeyer said he did not know the relationship, if any, between the shooter and the two children.

Peyton Pritekel, 13, said one of the victims, a girl was brought into the school after the shooting and was bleeding. The girl told them that this guy walked up and asked if they went to Deer Creek. They said yes and he fired twice.

"He was just some random guy," Pritekel said, describing him as in his late teens or twenties. "God was looking down on us. I mean amen."

Although the shooter is believed to have acted alone, at 5:45 p.m. officers were still carefully checking the school "to make sure we have this under control," said Techmeyer.

Deer Creek Middle School, 9201 W. Columbine Drive, is in the Jefferson County School District.

Students from the school were being taken at 4 p.m. from Deer Creek Middle to nearby Stony Creek Elementary school. Parents were asked to go to Stony Creek to pick up their children.

Both schools will be closed on Wednesday. Counselors will be at Stony Creek Elementary at 7:30 a.m. to talk with any students who would like their services.

Techmeyer said that he "expects a long, long investigation" and that interviews with students and staff will be "non-stop" beginning today and lasting several weeks.

He said that as far as he knows the shooter was armed with only the rifle. He said the Jefferson County Sheriff's Department will attempt to trace the origins of the rifle but may ask for the assistance of the ATF.

Techmeyer said that authorities are hoping to let students and staff back into the school early this evening to collect their belongings.

Howard Pankratz: 303-954-1939 or hpankratz@denverpost.com

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/ci_14456094#ixzz0gPozfpx0

LMT42
02-23-10, 20:41
"Luke Myrant, 14, says an older guy came in the front door and fired one shot into the air and then reloaded."

Sounds like a bolt action. At least it wasn't an "assault rifle".

Mac5.56
02-23-10, 21:15
Sean Ahearn, 13, saw the same scene unfold, dropped his cello, and jumped in a stranger's car. Then he called his mother, Colleen, with chilling words: "Don't come and get me. Somebody's shooting in the school. I'm in a lady's car."

Talk about calm under pressure. Way to go little man!!!

Spinone
02-23-10, 21:21
Talk about calm under pressure. Way to go little man!!!

I said the same thing to my wife. That kid has a great head on those little shoulders!

decodeddiesel
02-23-10, 21:28
That school is literally in my backyard. A number of folks from my work have children that go to that school.

That said, all I could think when I saw that is "Another "Gun Free Zone" success". :rolleyes:

The whole thing could have ended very differently if the gunman had trained on the teacher before he had the chance to tackle him. All I could think of was "boy, if only that teacher had been armed..."

Best wishes and a speedy recovery to the children who were shot.

decodeddiesel
02-23-10, 21:36
Of course this school is less than a mile from Columbine HS so all of the lib-tard media people are already drawing the parallel, which is ridiculous and offensive.

I feel ashamed to even mention the Columbine thing, but I am very sure this whole thing will be used as a platform for more gun control. Any remotely logical person can see that the "gun control" measures in place here completely and utterly failed, and now two children are in the hospital because of it. I'm just glad it wasn't worse.

Buckaroo
02-23-10, 22:06
Math teacher is definitely a hero!

Too bad there wasn't a CCW holder in the lot to take this guy out and demonstrate the usefulness of armed resistance on school grounds.

Buckaroo

decodeddiesel
02-23-10, 22:08
Math teacher is definitely a hero!

Too bad there wasn't a CCW holder in the lot to take this guy out and demonstrate the usefulness of armed resistance on school grounds.

Buckaroo

If there had been someone CCWing on school grounds they would have been committing a felony according to Colorado state law. Unless you are an on-duty LEO there is no guns allowed, period on K-12 campuses in Colorado.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-23-10, 22:35
If there had been someone CCWing on school grounds they would have been committing a felony according to Colorado state law. Unless you are an on-duty LEO there is no guns allowed, period on K-12 campuses in Colorado.

CCW, no. I thought a gun could be locked in the car? Got a few years till I have to deal with that..

Protection-Free Zones: Learn how to play dead better.

Sounds like a bolt-action - there goes your new 'sniper rifle' Decodediesel

decodeddiesel
02-23-10, 22:45
CCW, no. I thought a gun could be locked in the car? Got a few years till I have to deal with that..

Protection-Free Zones: Learn how to play dead better.

Sounds like a bolt-action - there goes your new 'sniper rifle' Decodediesel

Indeed. Not too much difference between a "sniper style high powered rifle" and a bolt action elk gun in 30-06 in the eyes of the antis.

As far as having a gun locked in a car, do you remember that girl who was on the JROTC drill team and had a plywood drill rifle in her car? It was remotely gun shaped and locked in her car on school grounds. Some dipshit thought it was real and called the cops.

Long story short the ultra-liberal superintendent decided that by having a plywood rifle in her car she was threatening the safety of the other students and expelled her, and left a bad blemish in her otherwise outstanding academic record.

Her parents had to sue the school district, and it went all the way to the Colorado Supreme Court before someone with a shred of common sense found in favor of the girl and let her back into school. :rolleyes: She almost didn't graduate because she lost so much school over the nonsense. Frankly I think the princible, the superindentant, and anyone else involved in the case up to the CO Supreme Court who didn't have the god damn common sense to say "this is stupid, you sir are a moron and you're fired" should no longer be working in these positions of responsibility. If they cannot exercise enough common sense to see how rediculous the whole thing is.

Moral of the story? Don't bring a weapon onto a K-12 campus, period.

Collegefour
02-24-10, 04:50

FMCDH,
You are correct about the gun being locked in the car, as long as it is UN-loaded.

As far as having a gun locked in a car, do you remember that girl who was on the JROTC drill team and had a plywood drill rifle in her car? It was remotely gun shaped and locked in her car on school grounds. Some dipshit thought it was real and called the cops.

Moral of the story? Don't bring a weapon onto a K-12 campus, period.

This type of enforcement is only possible if you or your kid attends the school. They can make it hard on you, but it IS legal to have an unloaded firearm in your vehicle, I just looked up the statute (CRS 18-12-105.5 (3)(a) if you're interested).

Also DD, you threw me a bit with the on-duty LEO part, so I checked that as well. Turns out it depends on your agency's WRITTEN policy. If they say you can carry concealed anywhere while off-duty, then you can. (CRS 16-2.5-101 (2) ).

decodeddiesel
02-24-10, 08:46
FMCDH,
You are correct about the gun being locked in the car, as long as it is UN-loaded.

This type of enforcement is only possible if you or your kid attends the school. They can make it hard on you, but it IS legal to have an unloaded firearm in your vehicle, I just looked up the statute (CRS 18-12-105.5 (3)(a) if you're interested).

Also DD, you threw me a bit with the on-duty LEO part, so I checked that as well. Turns out it depends on your agency's WRITTEN policy. If they say you can carry concealed anywhere while off-duty, then you can. (CRS 16-2.5-101 (2) ).

OK I am not going to turn this into a discussion of Colorado CCW laws, but I looked up the statutes and I don't believe you are correct. Mind you I am not an attorney, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. However if I am reading the statute correctly I think you can have it in your car if you are upon the real estate of any public or private college, university, or seminary. They make no mention of K-12 campuses in that section of the statute, only colleges and above.

I do believe you are correct though with your interpretation of the LEO carrying a weapon. If it is in accordance with the written policy of their department they can carry at a school, but to be honest the language contains so much ambiguity I am having a hard time understanding it. Likewise it says that carrying is not a crime if The weapon involved was a handgun and the person held a valid permit to carry a concealed handgun or a temporary emergency permit issued pursuant to part 2 of this article; except that it shall be an offense under this section if the person was carrying a concealed handgun in violation of the provisions of section 18-12-214 (3); or. They do not mention where though this is true. I have always thought colleges and universities were OK to carry, but K-12 was not but now reading the statute I am very confused.

R/Tdrvr
02-24-10, 12:40
At least it wasn't an "assault rifle".

Doesn't matter. The liberal media will say it was whether it was or not. :rolleyes:

dirksterg30
02-24-10, 13:18
Doesn't matter. The liberal media will say it was whether it was or not. :rolleyes:

If it was a bolt action, the MSM will call it a sniper rifle.

GermanSynergy
02-24-10, 14:50
If it was a bolt action, the MSM will call it a sniper rifle.

You'll see something like this on the morning news:

Jim Schmuck: Bob, we're outside of O'Donnely's Gun Emporium this morning seeking answers to this senseless tragedy. What may be SHOCKING to viewers at home is that high powered sniper rifles, displaying a terrifying degree of accuracy can be bought over the counter here in CO.

JonnyVain
02-24-10, 17:38
"Luke Myrant, 14, says an older guy came in the front door and fired one shot into the air and then reloaded."

Sounds like a bolt action. At least it wasn't an "assault rifle".

Another article called it a 30-06 bolt action.

xfyrfiter
02-24-10, 17:53
Gun free zone = FREE FIRE ZONE

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-24-10, 18:39
Sounds like the guy was a Grade A nutjob. Saw somewhere that his dad said that the guy had started hearing voices. How come the voices never tell you to mow your neighbors lawn?

The best I've seen them do is three degrees of seperation from Columbine. A teacher at the school (not one tacklers), was a teacher at a school near Columbine when that happened. :rolleyes:

Anyone see an update on the boy that was still in the hospital.

Buckaroo
02-24-10, 18:56
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/02/24/colorado.school.shooting.benke/index.html?hpt=C1

Eastwood, who police said had been a student at the school in the 1990s, was charged with two counts of attempted first-degree murder. He appeared in court via video link from jail Wednesday morning. CNN affiliate KUSA reported a judge ordered him held on $1 million bond.

If he does post bond, the court ordered that he have no contact with anyone under 18 and said he must seek mental health treatment, KUSA reported. It also said that if he posts bond, he cannot possess alcohol, drugs or firearms and must be monitored by GPS.

Bond? WTF is the judge thinking?!!!!!!!

Buckaroo

Spinone
02-24-10, 21:45
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/02/24/colorado.school.shooting.benke/index.html?hpt=C1

Bond? WTF is the judge thinking?!!!!!!!

Buckaroo

A bond? WTF?

wes007
02-24-10, 22:35
You'll see something like this on the morning news:

Jim Schmuck: Bob, we're outside of O'Donnely's Gun Emporium this morning seeking answers to this senseless tragedy. What may be SHOCKING to viewers at home is that high powered sniper rifles, displaying a terrifying degree of accuracy can be bought over the counter here in CO.

Hah that sounds about right.

dmanflynn
02-24-10, 23:34
A bond? WTF?

Liberal judges. Thats wtf

kaiservontexas
02-24-10, 23:51
http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww256/crusaderwyn/misc%20firearms/LOGMod70.jpg
It is a sniper rifle . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Hathcock#Marine_Corps_career

The anti-constitutionalist do not care what firearm a person owns . . .

Keeping people disarmed is not working. They will never relent to obeying natural rights.

Collegefour
02-25-10, 03:17
OK I am not going to turn this into a discussion of Colorado CCW laws, but I looked up the statutes and I don't believe you are correct. Mind you I am not an attorney, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. However if I am reading the statute correctly I think you can have it in your car if you are upon the real estate of any public or private college, university, or seminary. They make no mention of K-12 campuses in that section of the statute, only colleges and above.

I see exactly where you are getting confused. Here is the statute that should clear it up for you: CRS 18-12-214(3) and (3)(a): "A permit issued pursuant to this part 2 does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun onto the real property, or into any improvements erected thereon, of a public elementary, middle, junior high or high school; except that:"

"A permittee may have a handgun on the real property of the public school so long as the handgun remains in his or her vehicle and, if the permittee is not in the vehicle, the handgun is in a compartment within the vehicle and the vehicle is locked."

dookie1481
02-25-10, 03:51
A bond? WTF?

Maybe I'm wrong but I was under the impression that bail was set according to a suspect's risk of flight, not as punishment for what crime they are accused of committing.

Jay