PDA

View Full Version : IN - Rapist/burglar shot 3 times by neighbor.

Irish
02-23-10, 23:51
http://www.wave3.com/Global/story.asp?S=12029499

SHELBURN, IN (AP) - Police say an attacker who had tied up two women inside a rural western Indiana home was stopped when a neighbor shot him in the leg.

The Sullivan County Sheriff's Department says a man broke into the home near the town of Shelburn Sunday morning, tying up a woman and her mother and sexually assaulting the younger woman.

Sgt. William Snead says the older woman was able to send a text message to a neighbor asking for help. The neighbor's boyfriend, Sonny Osborn, heard the confrontation and went inside with a gun.

Police say Osborn told the attacker to leave before shooting him in the leg three times. The man was treated at a hospital and was being held in the Sullivan County Jail.

Honu
02-23-10, 23:58
to bad it was not in the head 3x !

Irish
02-24-10, 00:02
to bad it was not in the head 3x !

I agree. Probably someone with little training and not fully prepared to take a life to defend another's.

13F3OL7
02-24-10, 01:24
Thankfully the neighbor was able to stop the rapist before anything else happened.

bobvila
02-24-10, 01:55
Removing his manhood by bullet would have been a nice start for his trip through the justice system.

Honu
02-24-10, 02:12
maybe the neighbor shot his MIDDLE leg 3x :)

Alpha Sierra
02-24-10, 05:17
Aim higher

Spiffums
02-24-10, 07:56
So now the rapist will sue the man for shooting him in the leg.

trukreltrog
02-24-10, 08:11
Removing his manhood by bullet would have been a nice start for his trip through the justice system.

This! :D

Yup, thats probably how it will go. :mad:

500grains
02-24-10, 08:12
I love stories where the bad guy gets what he deserves. But in this case I am afraid the BG got less than he deserved.

Alex V
02-24-10, 08:44

exactly... if you are going to use deadly force, make sure there is no one left to sue you over lost wages, pain and suffering.

should have shot him in the junk with the 4th pull of the trigger like bobvila said

theblackknight
02-24-10, 10:45
Go Indiana!

Icedaddy56
02-24-10, 11:17
Sounds like a training problem, center mass, center mass, center mass.:D

mmike87
02-24-10, 11:39
I agree. Probably someone with little training and not fully prepared to take a life to defend another's.

Or, perhaps not willing to go on trial for murder on behalf of a third-party. Taking a life on behalf of someone you don't even know is asking a lot, especially in today's society. Hell, these days she's lucky anyone came to help at all.

Damn shame it's that way. You should be able to shoot a rapist in the act and not worry about going to prison.

Irish
02-24-10, 12:13
Or, perhaps not willing to go on trial for murder on behalf of a third-party. Taking a life on behalf of someone you don't even know is asking a lot, especially in today's society. Hell, these days she's lucky anyone came to help at all.

Obviously they knew the neighbor well enough to have their cell phone # and the ability to text them quite readily. The going on trial for murder part definitely rings true.

R/Tdrvr
02-24-10, 13:16

Damn shame it's that way. You should be able to shoot a rapist in the act and not worry about going to prison.

I don't know how the law is in Indiana, but in Florida this would be covered under self defense because that provision includes "the defense of others".

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/self_defense.html

Q. When can I use my handgun to protect myself?

A. Florida law justifies use of deadly force when you are:

Trying to protect yourself or another person from death or serious bodily harm;
Trying to prevent a forcible felony, such as rape, robbery, burglary or kidnapping.

and this:

Q. When can I use deadly force in the defense of another person?

A. If you see someone who is being attacked, you can use deadly force to defend him/her if the circumstances would justify that person's use of deadly force in his/her own defense. In other words, you "stand in the shoes" of the person being attacked.

Preferred User
02-24-10, 13:48
INDIANA

IC 35-41-3-2
Use of force to protect person or property (http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar41/ch3.html)
Sec. 2. (a) A person is justified in using reasonable force against another person to protect the person or a third person from what the person reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person:
(1) is justified in using deadly force; and
(2) does not have a duty to retreat;
if the person reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony. No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary.

shooter521
02-24-10, 13:56
Yay Hoosiers! :D