PDA

View Full Version : 18 or 20"

michschi
02-24-10, 08:28
First let me tell you that this is a build meant for touching someting out a ways. I plan on taking it Praire dogin'. I wanna buy a complete BCM rifle and I have been waiting on this upper! BCM SPR Mk 12 Mod 2X-Bravo (LT13) . which costs $1200 and on backorder til who knows how long. So I started looking at other options. If I go with their 20 inch upper same rails and bcg, chanrging handle and low profile gas black, I can cut almost 200 of the price of the upper. I want your thoughts on the 18 opposed to the 20. Thanks

tirod
02-24-10, 08:52
With 20", you're getting the longer rifle length with better sight radius, more FPS and foot pounds of force delivered, more accurately, at longer distances, for $200 less.

Or, getting a shorter. less accurate, slower speed weapon after a long wait, for enough money extra to buy the ammo for a prairie dog hunt. From that perspective, the question would be why isn't the 20" already on order?

Prairie dogs are waiting.

GermanSynergy
02-24-10, 09:57
I have a 20" Super SAM build for long distance shooting.

It's got a 20" heavy fluted Lilja barrel with Vortex FH and a Nightforce 5.5-24x50 on a LaRue SPR mount. So far it's accounted for 30 woodchucks with 75 grain Black Hills JHP :)

michschi
02-24-10, 10:01
I have a 20" Super SAM build for long distance shooting.

It's got a 20" heavy fluted Lilja barrel with Vortex FH and a Nightforce 5.5-24x50 on a LaRue SPR mount. So far it's accounted for 30 woodchucks with 75 grain Black Hills JHP :)

Beautiful Rifle man!

GermanSynergy
02-24-10, 10:07
Thanks man.... It's a heavy beast, but it's accuracy is out of this world. This was the last 20" Super SAM barrel that MSTN had, so I bought it and had Wes build it into this configuration. I also got the last 18" Super SAM barrel with VAIS comp built up for my dad.

michschi
02-24-10, 10:09
GermanSynergy

How do you like that stock that, is the one I am blanning for my build? Anything dislikes about it!

GermanSynergy
02-24-10, 10:11
GermanSynergy

How do you like that stock that, is the one I am blanning for my build? Anything dislikes about it!

I like the stock alot, the only "downside" is the weight. If this rifle is going to be for static shooting it shouldn't be a problem. OTOH, if you're going to be carrying it for miles on end it could get a bit heavy. :cool:

michschi
02-24-10, 10:16
I like the stock alot, the only "downside" is the weight. If this rifle is going to be for static shooting it shouldn't be a problem. OTOH, if you're going to be carrying it for miles on end it could get a bit heavy. :cool:

I got a nice RRA carbine for carring, I want a bipod and wanna be laying in the dirt with this one!

Boss Hogg
02-24-10, 10:17
The marginal increase in velocity is greater going from 16" to 18" than 18" to 20". (ie you don't gain much going from 18 to 20) I'd think that 18" with a rifle length gas system would be the heat.

seebee
02-24-10, 10:42
If I go with their 20 inch upper same rails and bcg, chanrging handle and low profile gas black, I can cut almost 200 of the price of the upper. I want your thoughts on the 18 opposed to the 20. Thanks[/QUOTE]

hate to say it but.. get a savage model 12 send it to 300below, do proper break in on gun and bam... extremely accurate rifle for not too much... same price if not cheaper than fancy upper. but if had to get the 20barell. rra has cool uppers with long barells. coyete carbine looks bad ass..