PDA

View Full Version : Need Gas Block Info...

Razorhunter
04-12-07, 19:51
Guys,
I'm about to install a JP VTAC on my Colt 6920. I am using the standard one piece, and I will remove the stock Colt FSB.
Anyhow, I will NOT be cutting my FSB down to use for a gas block.
I want to purchase a low profile gas block, and send it to ADCO, along with my upper, and have it pinned in place.
Anyhow, I am wondering if there is any reason at all, to choose a particular gas block for this application?
I think the Noveske stainless steel gas blocks are kind of cool, and I guess the only others I even know to really consider would be the VLTOR, Larue, and I think Troy? even makes on?
Can anyone give me a reason to go with any of the above in particular???
Would any of the above be better suited for pinning in place with taper pins???

-OR-

Are you guys going to tell me that a "gas block is a gas block is a gas block is a gas block" ..... ??????

Thanks for the help guys...

Robb Jensen
04-12-07, 21:41
If you want absolute reliability cut down the FSB to fit under the VTAC. Anything else is a compromise.

Razorhunter
04-12-07, 22:42
EVEN a pinned low pro gas block??? How can this be a compromise? Very interested...

PrarieDog
04-13-07, 00:31
You can also look to a JP adjustable gas block that is cut down by Randall at I think his site is AR15 Barrels .com.

http://www.ar15barrels.com/

Robb Jensen
04-13-07, 05:13
EVEN a pinned low pro gas block??? How can this be a compromise? Very interested...

Who makes these?

I've seen where Noveske, Randall and ADCO will pin a gas block. I'd rather just save the money and cutdown the FSB making it into a lo-pro gas block and then refinish in GunKote and install. I'm currently building a new upper for my 3gun rifle using a RRA midlength bbl, VLTOR upper and a JP VTAC tube. I'll take some pics of it soon.

Razorhunter
04-13-07, 06:08
Yeah, no one makes them, it costs $25 to get any gas block pinned.
I'm not worried about the cash, I want to do it right, without sacrificing any OEM parts....

RWBlue
04-13-07, 09:26
You can also look to a JP adjustable gas block that is cut down by Randall at I think his site is AR15 Barrels .com.

http://www.ar15barrels.com/

You don't have to go to Randall any more. JP has a low pro gas block. I have one, it looks good. It does use set screws. I have not mounted configured this upper (yet), but that is another thread.

I also have a YHM low pro gas block that works on my light weight AR. It is attached with set screws also.

Is there a reason, you want it pinned and set screws will not do?

Razorhunter
04-13-07, 16:40
Yes, pinned gas blocks are more reliable, and I realize some people have good luck with setscrews, but that's not for me, and just because some have good results, does not mean that it shouldn't be pinned.
Gas blocks SHOULD be pinned, and that is exactly why Colt pins the OEM gas block when the rifle is made.
It's super easy, and if you pay to have it done, it's very cheap as well.
I can't see how anyone would not choose to pin their gas block.

I started this thread, to see if anyone could tell me IF there is a particular gas block, that would be BEST suited for pinning, for use with my VTAC. ????
I'm still looking for that answer. I realize that cutting down the FSB would be cheapest, but I'm not looking for the cheapest route here.
I want to save my stock FSB for if I ever sell my rifle (OR if I ever want to use it again myself).
$25 to have a gas block pinned is CHEAP, BUT to buy a replacement Colt FSB is NOT cheap.
Thanks guys.

David Thomas
04-13-07, 17:57
If you are going to have ADCO do the work call them and ask them which low-pro gas blocks they will pin and which one they like the best. GotM4 has given you good advice, and I assumme other people haven't really chimed in because there is not much else to add.

If you want to pay $60 for a gas block and another $25 to get it pinned instead of using a shaved FSB go ahead. I do not see that big of a difference between a VLTOR, LaRue, Noveske, etc... Personally, I like the Larue gas block.

BigCraig
04-14-07, 11:45
I would use the LaRue lo-pro gas block, it is longer and will cover both pin holes that were used by the original FSB.

If ADCO or Randall could use the existing holes in the barrel for the pin hole locations in the LaRue GB, that would be perfect, but I dont know if it is possible.

alias
04-14-07, 12:38
How does one properly align a low profile gas block?
Is there any positive means of insuring alignment of the gas port holes?

Razorhunter
04-14-07, 15:08
I would use the LaRue lo-pro gas block, it is longer and will cover both pin holes that were used by the original FSB.

If ADCO or Randall could use the existing holes in the barrel for the pin hole locations in the LaRue GB, that would be perfect, but I dont know if it is possible.

Now THAT is what I'm talking about brother! I KNEW someone here had some good advice, that would make this thread worth starting!
I just KNEW there was something that I needed to be looking out for, and I KNEW there was SOMETHING that I did not know, that others WOULD know.
Thanks bro!
I have never used a Gas block other than the stock FSB, and I was unaware that the Larue was longer than others.
I have also been looking into the Noveske stainless gas block, as I just think it would look kind of nice. Looks are definitely not everything, but IF I can have something that performs correctly AND looks good too, I'm all about it.
However, I do not know if it is long enough, to cover the original taper pin holes, as you say the Larue is...
Is the Larue longer than MOST other gas blocks??? Have you compared it to others, such as the VLTOR, Noveske, etc, etc, etc????
Thanks.

AR15barrels
04-25-07, 03:37
Now THAT is what I'm talking about brother! I KNEW someone here had some good advice, that would make this thread worth starting!
I just KNEW there was something that I needed to be looking out for, and I KNEW there was SOMETHING that I did not know, that others WOULD know.
Thanks bro!
I have never used a Gas block other than the stock FSB, and I was unaware that the Larue was longer than others.
I have also been looking into the Noveske stainless gas block, as I just think it would look kind of nice. Looks are definitely not everything, but IF I can have something that performs correctly AND looks good too, I'm all about it.
However, I do not know if it is long enough, to cover the original taper pin holes, as you say the Larue is...
Is the Larue longer than MOST other gas blocks??? Have you compared it to others, such as the VLTOR, Noveske, etc, etc, etc????
Thanks.

LaRue and MI blocks are longer than most others.
LaRue runs $70 and MI runs $45.
As it's "just a gas block", I would go with the MI.
Either of these will fit under a JP Vtac without any issues.

LaRue:
http://ar15barrels.com/gfx/larue750gb.jpg

MI:
http://ar15barrels.com/gfx/mi750gb.jpg

Your typical gas block seat on the barrel is 1 7/8" to 1 15/16" long.
LaRue and MI gas blocks fill most of that and will certainly cover the taper pin cuts.
Most other low profile blocks like PRI, Troy and Vltor are in the 1" to 1 1/4" long range.
These ALL leave the front taper pin cut showing.