PDA

View Full Version : burrs/shavings at gas port in bore of new barrel?

mr.tom
02-24-10, 10:58
just got a noveske 6.8 barrel, and upon inspecting it, i noticed it had quite a lot of burring/metal shavings, i know it was test fired, and that is what worries me, a little. it was quite a lot of trash. i patched it out, but it kind of seems like that should've been done by noveske, for the $480 i paid for it.

here is a pic, sorry, it's damn near impossible to hold everything still enough to get a macro shot... so...it looks minor in the pic, but the burring protrudes at leas 1/16" into the bore...

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/3137/picture019xb.jpg

i contacted noveske, they said not to worry, so i won't, but i wonder how common/normal is this?

on all the new barrels i've ever gotten, i've never seen one as bad as this, and from such a respected brand...my barrel shipped with the parkerized gas block, btw. anyone know why they changed over to a parked gb instead of the ss ones they used to use?

rob_s
02-24-10, 11:12
Interesting. I have one of the Cardinal bargain 6.8 barrels that has a similar bur at the gas port. Haven't fired it yet. Figured it would shoot out.

mr.tom
02-25-10, 00:12
yeah, started thinkin about it. as long as the rifling is good and the gas port was drilled properly, no biggie. definitely run a pipecleaner through the gb. don't want that trash in the receiver.

another question:

is the gas port supposed to be very slightly misaligned to the left if you were looking through the breach on a noveske barrel with a rh twist?

5pins
02-25-10, 00:38
I had a Sabre that had a burr in it about the same as yours. I called Sabre and they said that they shoot them out. The misaligned port hole is a bit of an optical illusion. I think the barrel was test fired it was before the gas port was drilled. I don’t see how you would have burr if it was done afterward.

CoryCop25
02-25-10, 02:43
I have a brand new DD CHF 16" Middy barrel and I had an issue with a gas block I installed. A friend of mine put a bore scope in it and we could see a sliver of chrome around the gas port. The general consensus is that it will smooth itself out after about 50 rounds.

mr.tom
02-25-10, 03:55
thanks fellas.

learn somethin new every day or two. i appreciate it.