PDA

View Full Version : MLB bans guns from clubhouse

Buckaroo
02-24-10, 18:38
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2010/02/mlb-bans-guns-from-clubhouse/1

Major League Baseball is making it clear to players as they arrive to camp: Keep guns out of the clubhouse. Signs are posted in locker rooms stating "individuals are prohibited from possessing deadly weapons while performing any services for MLB."

The rule applied last season, but signs were not posted.

"The commissioner's office negotiated the policy with the union, as it applies to players," players' association head Michael Weiner said. "The content of the notice itself was not agreed to by the union."

The rules were adopted after former New York Giants receiver Plaxico Burress accidentally shot himself at a nightclub. And last month, NBA commissioner David Stern suspended Washington Wizards star Gilbert Arenas after he brought guns to the Verizon Center.

One Players Response:

Guns in the Clubhouse Are Just Fine With Ryan Franklin

There are new signs around Major League Baseball clubhouses alongside the ones reminding players that gambling is against the rules of the game. They advise players that they are "prohibited from possessing deadly weapons while performing any services for MLB."

The rule actually went into effect last season, after the league negotiated it with the union, but the signs are a new addition and have given the rule a visibility that it didn't have in the past. Given what's happened in recent years with Plaxico Burress and Gilbert Arenas, it seems that baseball is taking the rather sensible approach that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. That's just my opinion, though, and it is one that Ryan Franklin of the Cardinals doesn't share.

Franklin, described by the St. Louis Post-Dispatch as an avid outdoorsman, doesn't like the ban on firearms in the clubhouse. "If you grew up around it, being in the outdoors and stuff, I was taught as a young kid how to respect firearms," Franklin said following Saturday's workout. "First of all, you don't get stupid with it. Always treat a gun like it's loaded. That's what I taught my son and daughters. There's a place for them."

"There are a few guys that screwed it up for everybody. If it wasn't for the NFL guy a couple years ago bringing a weapon into a nightclub ... you've just got to be smart."

Franklin's argument is a good one for why there shouldn't be a blanket ban on firearms but it doesn't really address why he would need to bring a gun with him to work. There aren't many workplaces that would be okay with allowing employees to bring guns to work, and Franklin's comments do a fine job of explaining why.

You have to be smart and, at the same time, you have to protect against the fact that not everyone is smart about the way they handle guns and other weapons. Look no further than the Burress and Arenas incidents for examples of how wrong things can go when people aren't smart about it. There are other ways that Franklin can show off his new hunting rifle to teammates without having the firearms in the clubhouse.

The MLB rule accepts that you can't legislate intelligence so it does the next best thing and legislates the amount of damage that stupidity can do in their work environment.

Now if we could just do something about overly elaborate goatees.

Too bad for Mr. Franklin and other responsible gun owners. Obviously the writer of the second article does not understand us.
There are other ways that Franklin can show off his new hunting rifle to teammates without having the firearms in the clubhouse.

Buckaroo

dookie1481
02-25-10, 04:06
Franklin's argument is a good one for why there shouldn't be a blanket ban on firearms but it doesn't really address why he would need to bring a gun with him to work.

Maybe because he's worth a few million dollars?

That will get you a CCW in a state that doesn't generally issue permits.

I think it's good enough for a regular guy who may just want to defend himself and his family.

Jay

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-25-10, 08:09
I hate that "Show me why you need a gun so that I can decide if you can have one".

I guess they can still lock one in their cars?

Macx
02-25-10, 10:14
I hate that "Show me why you need a gun so that I can decide if you can have one".

I guess they can still lock one in their cars?

Thug says: "Alright, now I can jack a fine mercedes and get a free gat with the deal"

Other thug says "I wonder how much a stolen baseball player is worth"

Third thug says "I wonder what the daily limits on cards in that wallet add up to"

What I mean is, taking a pretty high profile person and announcing to the world that they will be unarmed, while their location is going to be fairly public . . . . just seems to me, to be setting these guys up to victims of violent crime. Imagine if it was announced that "the President would be at the Starbucks at such and so adress without any Secret Service & here's a handy guide to when" . . . . every nut job, ner-do-well, fanatic, and thug you can think of would be flocking to cash in on the target! Dial that back a half dozen clicks to such and so the sports god 21 hours before the big game & bonanza! A pay day no thug can resist, just jack a molester van and gather the posse and away they go.

chadbag
02-25-10, 14:00
Let your feelings be known.

The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball
Allan H. (Bud) Selig, Commissioner
245 Park Avenue, 31st Floor
New York, NY 10167
Phone: (212) 931-7800

I for one will write a letter (not that it will do much good) and articulate that this is one reason why I have stopped caring about baseball.

SIGguy229
02-25-10, 17:38
"individuals are prohibited from possessing deadly weapons while performing any services for MLB."

So, I guess they won't be using bats or balls during pre-season?

OldGreg
02-25-10, 17:50
Go Cardinals! (http://i.imgur.com/WASk0.jpg) <----- Puljos and Franklin know how to have fun.

:D

Spiffums
02-25-10, 21:52
If I was worth a couple of mil, I'd have someone to carry for me if I couldn't and someone to take the ass whopping for me if I ran my mouth.:D