PDA

View Full Version : Noveske Switchblock & Supporting Stuff Question

K9222
02-24-10, 19:40
I have decided against a Gas Piston set up because I found a good deal on a 10.5 Noveske with pinned switchblock. My plan is to run it suprressed and unsuprressed. I plan on doing a LMT enhanced Bolt carrier but do I get it for SA or FA. I see alot of people that run supprressors run the FA in a SA gun. Why is this?
Also what buffer should I start with. I assume a H-buffer and but maybe an H2? I would think a H would be fine because the Switchblock will reduce the gas up front to where I wont have to run a heaier buffer. What bolt should I run? I was thinking a LMT regular bolt, because the enhanced bolts say for 14.5" barrels and longer. Last question, does Noveske make the 9.5" style rail and sell it seperate from their uppers? You know the rails that extend under neath the switchblock. Thanks for the help.

Thomas M-4
02-24-10, 19:52
Ar-15 was originally designed to run the FA bolt carrier it should be more reliable with the full weight FA carrier.
You should be fine with just the H-buffer that is what I use in my 14.5'' with the enhanced carrier.

Dano5326
02-24-10, 22:53
enhanced carrier will dump more gas.. this may or may not work for your application. they run cleaner than a normal carrier.. but the extra gas hole & cam path may not be ideal for a shorty. with the increased speed of a shorty a regular bolt with increased extractor tension may be more ideal. In any case let us know how it sorts.

Boss Hogg
02-25-10, 06:56
You're probably going to need to experiment with different buffer weights and springs- for a 10.5" SBR I might go as high as 5.4 oz and a Sprinco spring. The applications below are from their website.......

(it takes 30 seconds to change a buffer and spring, so perhaps you get a dedicated regular setup and a dedicated suppressed setup)

Also, note that your BCG is going to get filthy- probably 5-10X as dirty- when running the suppressor. I'd seriously consider a Young or BCM Ion Bond BCG.

CARBINE APPLICATION SOLUTIONS (2 OPTIONS):

Extra-Power Buffer Spring, best option for 16"+ barrels with carbine length gas system platforms with standard front sight towers and H buffers, gas piston guns, suppressed shorties, and 9mm. Color Coded RED.
Standard Buffer Spring, best option for all others, including most non-suppressed 7.5"-12.5" shorties, middy guns with adjustable gas blocks, 1st Gen M&P's, all Rock River Arms, uppers with light weight carrier groups (VTAC), etc. Color Coded BLUE.

K9222
02-25-10, 09:56
Yeah, I have decided to go with the BCM or Global-tactical IONBONDED M16 BCG. Both of theirs seem to have all the right upgraded internal parts along with the proplery staked key.

Todd.K
02-25-10, 10:41
We use a standard carbine action spring and H2 buffer.

We do not sell any rails.

SuicideHz
02-25-10, 10:49
I'd go with the FA carrier for the extra weight- that's why they are used.

An H2 is enough with a BCM FA group to cycle the switchblock, suppressed on the suppressed setting.

If you want a 9.5" rail you wouldn't be able to use the switchblock. The block extends to the top of a rail. If you want, you could get the DD RIS II for the mk18 which is 9.55" and cut out the top front of it. It wouldn't be hard. I've already did the measuring and you'd cut it and have a "bump" left at the front of the rail.

Hope this helps.

ColdDeadHands
02-25-10, 11:12
http://www.superiorweaponssystems.com/ar15extendedcarbine.htm

SuicideHz
02-25-10, 11:21
Definitely not ideal. You'd have 1.5" of emptiness in front of the SB. I wouldn't go that route myself. Never liked how DD extended their rails past the standard FSB and how everyone else did as well.

ColdDeadHands
02-25-10, 11:42
not ideal but a compromise between carbine rail and 10" which couldn't be used with a SB. I wish Noveske would sell rails at least to people who bought a basic upper.