PDA

View Full Version : Spare AR?

Chameleox
02-24-10, 20:40
So, here's the scenario:

I have a used, but well maintained S&W M&P 15T. Older model, but with a 1:7" barrel, and extended ramps. I also have a Colt 6920 for work. Since 1 is for work and the other is kind of a range toy/safe queen, I'm wondering if I should just get rid of it.

My conundrum is that I'd like to condense my guns. I figure that it might make more sense to have 1 fewer gun to maintain and shoot.
I'd like to sell my M&P (or just the upper) to finance an SBR (just for HD), or for ammo/class/suppressor for my work rifle and handguns. I also thought about just keeping it, and packing it away for a rainy day, or spare parts.
I could buy something else, but it makes little practical sense since I'm restricted to Glock and Colt in my professional and CCW lives.
What say you?

JHC
02-24-10, 20:51
I agree with the thinking that once you settle on your primary serious firearms, it's a good idea to have two. AR carbines and Glock 19's for instance.

Safetyhit
02-24-10, 22:03
If you really want the SBR then that is your personal decision. Otherwise you sound good to go as is.

Safetyhit
02-24-10, 22:04
... I'm wondering if I should just get rid of it.

My conundrum is that I'd like to condense my guns. I figure that it might make more sense to have 1 fewer gun to maintain and shoot.

Meant to add that this is a very unusual point of view. I respect it, but still...

Chameleox
02-24-10, 22:16
Meant to add that this is a very unusual point of view. I respect it, but still...

This is mostly so I can focus on getting better with one gun, one that I'd be more likely to have when it hits the fan. I see the wisdom in keeping the Smith, either for just the sake of keeping it, but also for parts, since only Colts will ride out on patrol, per the bosses.
I already have my shooting time full with my handguns, patrol carbine, intermediate sniper rifle, and my Remy 700.

Surf
02-24-10, 22:17
.....I'm wondering if I should just get rid of it.

My conundrum is that I'd like to condense my guns. I figure that it might make more sense to have 1 fewer gun to maintain and shoot.Hmmm, most here are enthusiasts and the idea of having more guns to shoot and maintain is a good thing.

Bottom line however, it is up to you.

Chameleox
02-24-10, 22:22
That's why I'm thinking about SBR'ing it. It will be something somewhat different to shoot, yet practical.

ChicagoTex
02-25-10, 01:56
If you run an AR for "work", it means your life depends on it to at least some extent. That being the case, your life depends just as much on your ability to use it.

Sell the second carbine and take a class - it may just save your life, and that trumps cool toys any day.

CoryCop25
02-25-10, 02:35
I have one rifle for duty and another set up very similar for training. I always bring two rifles to a training class in the event one goes down. That was I don't hold up the class or miss drills while trying to get my weapon back up.

rob_s
02-25-10, 05:38
http://www.tacticalyellowvisor.net/8301/11801.html

while that article is old, and neither of those guns is set up the same way anymore, I still think the concept is sound. Having two rifles that are mechanically identical but functionally dissimilar is a good thing IMHO. The grip, stock, controls, rail, are all identical, the lights and reticule are virtually identical where it matters, but one is setup for close-range or indoor shooting and the other is setup for longer-range or outdoor shooting. Both would go with me to training and competition events and one would be the spare to the other. virtually seamless transition when I changed from one to the other.

GermanSynergy
02-25-10, 10:57
I have one rifle for duty and another set up very similar for training. I always bring two rifles to a training class in the event one goes down. That was I don't hold up the class or miss drills while trying to get my weapon back up.

Sound advice.

Chameleox
02-25-10, 11:14
This is all sound advice.
I'm thinking of converting it to an SBR that would still be similar to my work gun (Colt with original handguards per policy), but still effective for home use or as a spare/primary for classes and training. Class might be a moot point anyway. Wisconsin is a bit of a dead zone for firearms training.
I should point out that for patrol and SWAT needs I also have an issued Colt 6921 that I could use as a short term replacement if need be.
Rob S, thanks for the link. Great article, and great info on your site, as always.
Keep' em coming, people1 This is why I like this site. I consider myself partially educated, but I always learn something good here.
Corycop- wouldn't you know it; I was born in Easton. Moved away, and now you guys seem to have a lot of great classes coming your way.

bkb0000
02-25-10, 11:43
how can it cost you anything to simply own a weapon? if you seriously have no use for it, douse it in preservative, bag it up, and store it for the apocalypse.

i voted "other," because i think you should shoot the shit out of it.. it's just a wasted gun otherwise. if you want to SBR, why not SBR the gun you have? you can file the form 1, oil the gun and stick it in the back of the safe... then someday, after you've forgotten all about it, you'll get a packet from the ATF with a tax stamp and approved form. it'll be like christmas.. then just send the barrel to ADCO and playa playon.

or, as chicago mentioned, configure the weapon as similarly to your duty weapon as possible, and just use it as a backup.

you should always have at least two ARs... if for no other reason, as a loaner for guys who dont have them or in the event somebody's goes down during training. if i didn't have ARs to loan friends, i'd train alone about 90% of the time.

Sarge45
02-25-10, 13:05
I maintain two carbines. I use a BCM as primary and I keep my Colt 6920 as backup in the safe. Occassionally I will shoot the Colt but the BCM is my go-to.

cschwanz
02-25-10, 16:28
IF you sell it/part it out, you HAVE to get another rifle of somesort. Isnt that the rule, you can sell a gun only to finance another one :p

I like the idea of a backup rifle, especially if you go to training courses.

Gunzilla
02-25-10, 16:52
Hmmm, most here are enthusiasts and the idea of having more guns to shoot and maintain is a good thing.

For the most part I agree with you, but I think there is a small percentage of enthusiasts that are being more practical in what they keep in their collections. If one is required to leave their home during an 'emergency' few are going to be comfortable leaving weapons behind (safe or no safe)....and not everyone has a toy hauler to load up. Those of us with small SUVs can only carry so much, this is why it makes sense to some of us to keep what's needed and lose what's not.

Like the OP, I too have pared down my numbers to focus on what is actually 'needed' if 'it' hits the fan. Having 2 complete ARs (or other primary rifle of choice) is a minimum and should be basically the same, add in a couple of your favorite handguns (1911s) and that should be a good to-go package. Focus the rest of your 'gun money' on ammo.

Of course it may be a good idea to have a few 'barter' weapons, and extra ammo, since the dollar will be worthless. :eek:

Chameleox
02-25-10, 18:23
I was at the range today, when I let out a comment. After uttering it, I suddenly realized that I'm in a similar situation, and have the opportunity to not do what I did wrong 4 years ago.
The phrase?
"Man, I shouldn't have sold my Glock 17"
Looking back, I wish I hadn't gotten rid of that gun. Or my G23. Maybe someday I'll learn.
I can't make the same mistake; I'll keep the M&P. Maybe I'll get another barrel (SBR), but I'm keeping it. Its a good gun.

Thanks to all!

Sarge45
02-25-10, 18:50
Good choice, IMO. ;)

Shark
02-25-10, 19:33
Dude,

Keep it! I voted "Other." I say keep it and then buy Mk18 upper.
Remember the 'ol saying, "One is none, two is one." Once you get the Mk18,
then you'll always have a spare upper for parts, etc., or shooting shitty ammo out of.

I was in the same boat, but getting a 16" Recce upper instead of a SBR/Mk18 type upper. For me living behind enemy lines makes it impossible to have an SBR or suppressor.

Iceberg
02-25-10, 20:11
Jeez, I have four and feel that I need more. Can you really ever have too many AR rifles? I would put it in your safe and save up to buy another rifle/carbine....lol.

m4fun
02-25-10, 20:33
Guys it is a disease - more and more - then you get into reloading...training...never stops

I voted on keep - I believe in the "one is none and two is one" I also like variety. A second rifle gives you every spare part you could need.

That said I do have my training/take to the hills model as well as what I collect.

Fuzzy-Reticle
02-26-10, 21:43
I always thought AR15 rifles magically reproduced in the basement! That is what I keep telling my wife. One becomes two and then three then every so often a mutant AK is born. :p

Not much you can do about it. I think we owe it to them to give them good homes.

djegators
02-26-10, 22:58
Not only do you need a spare, but you need a spare for your spare...

curmudgeon9
02-27-10, 10:01
Shark: Quote- "living behind enemy lines." :D OK if I steal that line to use elsewhere ?

ETA: I have an older 14.5" M-forgery I'll keep around for shooting steel-cased ammo and for spare parts if needed. My range toy is a 16" Colt h-bar just bought new this Jan. Waiting for the weather to clear a little here in Ohio to get out and shoot this baby.

RogerinTPA
02-28-10, 12:43

Likewise.

My 3 are all different but same controls, and features (light, RDS, VFG, Magpul BAD, Blue Force Ready Mag, Vickers Slings)

markdh720
02-28-10, 13:09
As a grade school teacher taught me while writing some punishment during detention: "Twice is nice, unless you can do it thrice." I feel cheesy saying it after all these years, but it makes sense.

I'm trying to brainwash the wife into thinking I need a spare rifle (and probably another pistol) so she doesn't get mad when I buy it anyway. :D

Surf
02-28-10, 18:48
For the most part I agree with you, but I think there is a small percentage of enthusiasts that are being more practical in what they keep in their collections. If one is required to leave their home during an 'emergency' few are going to be comfortable leaving weapons behind (safe or no safe)....and not everyone has a toy hauler to load up. Those of us with small SUVs can only carry so much, this is why it makes sense to some of us to keep what's needed and lose what's not.

Like the OP, I too have pared down my numbers to focus on what is actually 'needed' if 'it' hits the fan. Having 2 complete ARs (or other primary rifle of choice) is a minimum and should be basically the same, add in a couple of your favorite handguns (1911s) and that should be a good to-go package. Focus the rest of your 'gun money' on ammo.

Of course it may be a good idea to have a few 'barter' weapons, and extra ammo, since the dollar will be worthless. :eek:I can respect that point of view and good for you guys that can do it. :)

However, for myself, even though I feel I am a pretty prepared person, with a good disaster plan / supplies stored nicely on shelves in the garage, ready to go, I am not going to become a doomsdayer that wishes to curtail my hobby because of fear of shit hitting the fan. If it does hit the fan, I am not as worried about leaving weapons behind. If I can walk away from my home, I can walk away from some guns. I am not worried about others getting their hands on them either. There are just too many guns out there as it is, much less worrying about the ones that I personally own. If I really was a doomsdayer, I would just remove bolts, bolt carriers, slides etc, off my weapons that I left behind. ;)

Heartland Hawk
03-02-10, 16:08
I have several AR's. Each with a different focus. Varmint, standard 20", etc. But I also have 2 LMT's in almost identical configurations. Like others have said, "Two is one, and one is none. I would keep your second and use it as a plinker, or informal training gun.

Nefarious79
03-02-10, 17:03
I can find a lot of things that I could sell before I looked to my AR. Never selling my guns unless they are the last things i own.