PDA

View Full Version : AR's used for hunting

jahwarrior1423
02-24-10, 20:56
Cant find a thread at all about AR's being used for hunting purposes. Ive seen a few threads of guys having larger caliber's. But where's the guys that use the .223 as their hunting round for predators?

Post up pictures of your weapon...

Im in the process of building a AR for predator hunting but want to see what others use.

Buckaroo
02-24-10, 21:00
See here: https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10

uwe1
02-24-10, 21:06
I'm not trying to be a smartass, but I think if you're just looking for a rig for hunting, you would have a free floated barrel on your AR, consider a decent scope (your choice), maybe a bipod if you wished, and a 2-point sling. I took my DDM4 to hunt whitetail and had just those things, but I took off the bipod after day 1 to save on weight.

bkb0000
02-24-10, 21:25
there've been a number of posts, if not threads, on hunting with ARs.. our Southern brothers love them for pig hunting, and our plains brothers love them for dogs and yotes, and i started deer hunting with my SPR last year. mostly .223 for all these, but some guys have 6.8s and big bores that i've never paid any attention to so cant even comment on.

simply stating that it's so isn't much help, i know... but it IS so. :)

try this in your google search bar (without the quotes):

" hunting site:m4carbine.net "

lots of stuff, and different key words will give different results.

jahwarrior1423
02-24-10, 21:27
See here: https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10

Isnt that link for Beyond 5.56/.223? :rolleyes:

TWR
02-25-10, 07:51
I kill deer and coyotes with mine, no problems.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v374/TOM64/ars003.jpg
I use the 60gr Nosler Partition on deer and 50gr hollow points for coyotes and bobcats. I have used the 77gr SMK for coyotes and it works well, I built up the SPR with a Noveske SPR barrel just for shooting those but am still in the testing process on this upper. My Colt light weights shoot em pretty good too though. I just need to test the bullets better before using them on deer.

jahwarrior1423
02-25-10, 10:59
I just need help choosing a barrel. Figured other guys would post their hunting rifles and give specs. I guess I could also considermy build a SPR, but it will mainly be used for hunting predators. I am just not finding good information anywhere with the concerns I have. And the barrel is what's delaying my build...rather build it once.

My concern is that I do not reload. So I only buy commercial loads in .223. And I see 50-55gr every where I look...I rarely see any 40gr or 62gr. So I want a barrel that would be great for bullet weights 50-55gr. And I do not plan to shoot out past 300yds, maybe every once in awhile I will shoot out past that distance.

What barrel do you guys recommend I use?

Ive been told to go with Olympic Arms Ultramatch 20" with a 1/10twist.

Then was recommended DevArms, but Ive never heard of them and I dont know anything about their quality.

trukreltrog
02-25-10, 11:14
If your looking for an Accurate Predator Gun. Lots of satisfied customers on PredatorMasters forum.

http://www.dtechsuperstore.com/

I just use a 1 in 9 twist ShrubbMaster Barrel. Mostly Timber here, too thick to get much more than a 100 yd shot. :(

TWR
02-25-10, 15:34
Personaly I don't think you can build it just "once", it takes 2 for me.

I like my 1/7 twisted Colt light weight barrels for a calling rig with a 1.5-5 scope. Makes for a quick handling gun that doubles as shotgun duty and is still accurate enough for clean kills out to 200 yards or so.

I used a Noveske SPR 18" 1/7 twist barrel for the longer shots found in open country sometimes and will eventually send this 3.5-10 off for an elevation turret and run the 77gr SMK's or similar. And will use this one for deer hunting as well.

jahwarrior1423
02-25-10, 15:46
Im trying to stay away from 1/7 twist because I do not reload, so I am limited to 50-55gr bullets. Those weights are what I find all the time in retail stores.

I am looking for a 1/9 or a 1/10 barrel in either 18" or 20". And so far, the Oly Arms Ultramatch is what Im leaning towards.

cschwanz
02-25-10, 15:53
working on building a "jack of all trades" AR as my first and it will partly be used for varmint hunting (coyotes, etc). Going with a midlength gas system, 1-7 twist, 16". Im planning on reloading my own ammo for it eventually as well. Will of course get pics when its done-just got confirmation that most of the items needed will be in early next week.

Buckaroo
02-25-10, 17:04
Isnt that link for Beyond 5.56/.223? :rolleyes:

Sure is have you tried the search?

https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php?searchid=1772658

TWR
02-25-10, 17:13
Im trying to stay away from 1/7 twist because I do not reload, so I am limited to 50-55gr bullets. Those weights are what I find all the time in retail stores.

I am looking for a 1/9 or a 1/10 barrel in either 18" or 20". And so far, the Oly Arms Ultramatch is what Im leaning towards.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I shoot 50 gr American Eagle Hollow points into just over an inch groups at 100 yards with a Colt chrome lined, 1/7 twited 16" light weight barrel. 55 gr NBT's that I reload do better.

Don't think you can't shoot lighter bullets with a 7 twist.