PDA

View Full Version : PMAG follower differences...problematic?

Blob
02-25-10, 00:37
I was inspecting one of my magazines today because it caused a double feed at the range and noticed a difference between the windowed mags and non windowed, both "Rev-M" style. At first I thought it was a defect but it appears that all four of my Rev-M windowed PMAGs are like this. What I noticed is that the followers on the windowed mags sit a little bit lower in relation to the feedlips than the non windowed mags do. While the follower on the non windowed mags makes contact with the feedlips, the windowed followers are about 1-2 mm lower.

I'm not a fan of this at all. I noticed that this feedlip-follower gap makes it so that empty mags don't eject from the receiver with as much force as the other mags. This can be a problem when the gun is tilted upwards or rolled to the side slightly, causing the empty magazine to remain in the rifle.

I will be taking my windowed PMAGs out of the serious-use rotation and stick with my awesome Rev-M PMAGs. Has anyone else observed this?

Sorry for not providing pics, my internet is down at my house for an unknown period of time.

Blob
02-25-10, 11:12
Ok, got some pics up.

Windowed mags on bottom, non windowed on top.
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/2449/22773602037430633632058.jpg

The difference between the followers. Windowed follower on the left.
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/9238/22773602037365763632058.jpg

Skyyr
02-25-10, 11:30
Not sure if that intended or even if it's an issue, but I now feel better for only having non-windowed PMAGs :p

Dozer
02-25-10, 11:33
Call Justin Beard at Magpul. I am sure he can help you with your question.

556Cliff
02-28-10, 11:21
Bump.

Blob
03-04-10, 18:46
Update:

I called Justin Beard at Magpul this afternoon and he explained to me that all new PMAGs are manufactured with this style of follower now.

I ran 500 rounds through my rifle today out of 17 PMAGs, four of which were the windowed mags in question. I had about 6-7 misfeeds with these four mags where the round would "nose up" and the bolt would slam into the side of the round, but all of the rest of the PMAGs worked flawlessly as expected. Justin offered to replace the faulty mags but I told him I wanted to keep them for a while longer to see if it was just a fluke or what. FWIW, I'm pretty sure the followers weren't the cause of the misfeeds although it is quite curious how they were the only four mags to fail consistently.

I still love PMAGs though and won't buy anything else. :)

spr1
03-20-10, 19:51
Any new info?

Shadow1198
03-20-10, 23:53
I don't know if this will work or if there are any significant differences that would prevent you from doing so, but what about swapping some of the springs and followers from the non-windowed to the windowed mags and see if they still fail? Sorry if I'm restating the obvious, I am the king of that. :D

M2AP
03-21-10, 17:42
I don't know how many of these new followers are out there in circulation but this is the only mention of them that I've seen.
I hope it doesn't come down to a big mag/follower recall or some other such situation.
I have some Pmags ordered right now so I'm not too worried about this though I don't have any way of knowing which version I'll get.