View Full Version : NYPD spec P226DAO (PICS ADDED)

cathellsk
02-25-10, 00:47
Stopped by the local dealer today on the way into work. Saw a stack of SIGs on the counter they were putting out for display and one caught my eye. Box was labeled NYPD, it was a blue P226DAO with nickel accents, no rail, night sights, & 3 mags.

I know what the pistol is as I'm sorta a fan of anything NYPD, just didn't know it was available for civilian purchase. Fired casing envelope was dated Apr.'09.

DAO Rugers are what we're issued on the job so I'm used to the style trigger. And if I don't like it I can always convert it to DA/SA.

cathellsk
02-25-10, 14:22
Also has a short trigger and metal guiderod.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/001196.JPG

All three mags have rubber baseplates
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/004143.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/003166.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/005136.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/006128.JPG

Night sights
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/00735.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/00831.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/00930.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/01026.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/01169.JPG

ToddG
02-25-10, 14:28
Unless something has changed since '07, the mags should also have a different (more corrosion resistant) finish.

cathellsk
02-25-10, 14:34
Unless something has changed since '07, the mags should also have a different (more corrosion resistant) finish.

I just noticed that after posting, seem phosphated, not matte finished.
Is there anything else you can tell me about the pistol Todd? I know the DAO is mandated for them, but it is at our agency too, so I'm used to it.

doughnut
02-25-10, 14:36
That's a cool find. The mag in the first pic kinda looks like a phosphate-coated mag.

cathellsk
02-25-10, 14:37
That's a cool find. The mag in the first pic kinda looks like a phosphate-coated mag.

Thanks, and yes, all three mags are phosphated.

GKoenig
02-25-10, 14:51
NYPD carries SIGs now?

I thought they were (mostly) Glock 19s?

cathellsk
02-25-10, 14:57
NYPD carries SIGs now?

Officer's choice. Glock 19 with NY2 trigger, S&W 5946, or SIG P226DAO.

brushy bill
02-25-10, 16:31
I thought 5946 was out of production and NYPD was now trying to certify the MP9 and MP9C with the hold up centering around the MP9C...?

Dragon Slayer
02-25-10, 16:38
Sig's are great guns if they fit your hand, I prefer the Glock. Before the Glock came out I used to carry the Sig 228 and later the 229 and if Glocks were not available then I would carry the Sig in a heartbeat.:)

cathellsk
02-25-10, 17:42
I thought 5946 was out of production and NYPD was now trying to certify the MP9 and MP9C with the hold up centering around the MP9C...?

True, but until both are accepted, they still authorize the 5946. I thought it was the fullsize, can't remember for sure, having some kind of problem with their duty load waiting on Smith to fix the issue before authorizing both.

Chameleox
02-25-10, 17:49
Officer's choice. Glock 19 with NY2 trigger, S&W 5946, or SIG P226DAO.

Is it really the NY2, and not the NY1? We require the NY1, but can't imagine having to carry the NY2.

operator81
02-25-10, 17:54
Nice looking piece. Is the trigger lighter than the standard DA pull on a P226?

Dog Tags
02-25-10, 18:06
I just picked up a Sig 226 police trade. Guess that's what Ohio Highway Patrol is carrying too. At least that's what I was told. Got a laser with it also! Been a 1911 guy and this was my first pistol outside of that style. I have to say that I do enjoy my Sig.

cathellsk
02-25-10, 18:28
Is it really the NY2, and not the NY1? We require the NY1, but can't imagine having to carry the NY2.

Yes, they only authorize the orange NY2 trigger spring for their Glocks.

Nice looking piece. Is the trigger lighter than the standard DA pull on a P226?

Seems so, but its probably not. This is the only SIG I currently own, so can't compare it. If it is, its not nearly as noticeable as the D spring difference in the Beretta 92. I'm also thinking its a dream compared to my P89DAO (the only other gun I have with a similar pull).

ToddG
02-25-10, 20:28
Is there anything else you can tell me about the pistol Todd?

If the mags are simply phosphated, that is a change. SIG used to put its "agate" finish on NYPD mags (and some SEAL mags).

The mag finish and nickeled parts were in response to corrosion issues NYPD had, which might have been caused by the fact that they store the guns in a container filled with freezing ocean water... :cool:

cathellsk
02-25-10, 20:59
If the mags are simply phosphated, that is a change. SIG used to put its "agate" finish on NYPD mags (and some SEAL mags).

The mag finish and nickeled parts were in response to corrosion issues NYPD had, which might have been caused by the fact that they store the guns in a container filled with freezing ocean water... :cool:

Phosphate was the term I used, but agate would fit too. They are very slightly rough feeling , more so than a matte finish. I just used phosphate since I've heard that term for finish used with SIGs in the past. I'd say they are the agate finish like you said. Thanks for any info Todd.

GermanSynergy
02-25-10, 22:40
Nice pistol.

Alpha Sierra
02-26-10, 17:24
I just picked up a Sig 226 police trade. Guess that's what Ohio Highway Patrol is carrying too.
Correct. Caliber is .40 S&W IIRC.

BT2012
02-26-10, 17:51
Stopped by the local dealer today on the way into work. Saw a stack of SIGs on the counter they were putting out for display and one caught my eye. Box was labeled NYPD, it was a blue P226DAO with nickel accents, no rail, night sights, & 3 mags.

I know what the pistol is as I'm sorta a fan of anything NYPD, just didn't know it was available for civilian purchase. Fired casing envelope was dated Apr.'09.

It's a fluke or it's a gimmick that it is labeled NYPD but sorry to disappoint you. NYPD DOES NOT have any special modification, special model number or special serial other than that ridiculous heavy trigger spring. NYPD officers can buy any of the authorized firearms but have to give to the armorers to swap out the springs. Those nickel accents are not authorized as well.

BT2012
02-26-10, 17:57
NYPD carries SIGs now?

Yes but it is discontinued and no longer offered as a choice. Those who chose it back when it was offered can continue to carry it. The reason was the officer's lack of maintenance and it developed rust.

GKoenig
02-26-10, 18:10
Yes but it is discontinued and no longer offered as a choice. Those who chose it back when it was offered can continue to carry it. The reason was the officer's lack of maintenance and it developed rust.

Sounds like a real switched on, strac department the NYPD runs...
:rolleyes:

ToddG
02-26-10, 18:14
It's a fluke or it's a gimmick that it is labeled NYPD but sorry to disappoint you.

SIG definitely built guns to that spec for NYPD. What NYPD did with them or who used them I couldn't answer, but that gun was definitely built for NYPD. The "E" in the product code indicates it was a LE pistol, and by that timeframe SIG was no longer making DAO guns except for special customers because it had switched to DAK for its regular production.

My S.W.A.G. is that either:

The pistol was delivered to one of the cop shops in NYC in anticipation of a MOS buying it, it sat on the shelf for a while, and the shop sold it off into the commercial market to recoup costs, or
The pistol was delivered to Rodman's Neck as a T&E and then later returned to SIG, which in turn sold it into the commercial market as a special.

cathellsk
02-27-10, 01:02
It's a fluke or it's a gimmick that it is labeled NYPD but sorry to disappoint you. NYPD DOES NOT have any special modification, special model number or special serial other than that ridiculous heavy trigger spring. NYPD officers can buy any of the authorized firearms but have to give to the armorers to swap out the springs. Those nickel accents are not authorized as well.

Sorry, but your info is a bit dated. These ARE authorized currently for MOS. I've already had several comment on other forums about it. As I understand it when the SIG was first authorized it was converted to DAO and that was it. It was pulled due to the rust issues and when this version I got was shown to NYPD they reauthorized it and still do to this day. Its the least popular of the three but it is available.

cathellsk
02-27-10, 01:05
We all know the saying a picture is worth a 1000 words.....
Get past who's wearing the uniform and look at the gun in her holster. You can even see the nickel accents.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/hotNYcop.jpg

Dragon Slayer
02-27-10, 09:44
We all know the saying a picture is worth a 1000 words.....
Get past who's wearing the uniform and look at the gun in her holster. You can even see the nickel accents.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/hotNYcop.jpg

I wonder if she can reach the trigger with a normal hold of the gun with out twisting it in the hand with the small hands she has. Even with a short trigger installed it is a long reach for most people.
Please do not ask us to get past who is wearing the uniform this would be unnatural for most of us.:D

cathellsk
02-27-10, 10:12
I wonder if she can reach the trigger with a normal hold of the gun with out twisting it in the hand with the small hands she has. Even with a short trigger installed it is a long reach for most people.
Please do not ask us to get past who is wearing the uniform this would be unnatural for most of us.:D

Oh I know, she's a cutie, thats for sure. :)

Kentucky Cop
02-27-10, 17:13
Wow! What other pics do you have of the, ...ummm SIG on the NYPD beat???
;)

Ky Cop

Detmongo
02-27-10, 18:56
BT
all the new sigs in the NYPD have nickled accents. its been that way for at least the last five years.

Kentucky Cop
02-27-10, 21:32
BT
all the new sigs in the NYPD have nickled accents. its been that way for at least the last five years.

Are there any other handguns authorized for the NYPD other than Glocks and Sigs???

Curious....
Ky cop

Detmongo
02-27-10, 22:02
Are there any other handguns authorized for the NYPD other than Glocks and Sigs???

Curious....
Ky cop

yes S&W 5946.

cathellsk
02-27-10, 22:32
Detmongo is right.
The three currently authorized duty guns for MOS are the Glock 19 with NY2 trigger, Smith 5946, and the SIG 226DAO. The M&P9 is being evaluated, along with the M&P9 Compact, to be replacing the 5946 duty gun and 3953/3914DAO backup/off duty guns. Other offduties include the SIG P239DAO and G26. I'm not sure if the Beretta Cougar is still available, mostly since Beretta doesn't make it anymore. The Kahr K9 was pulled from the list a couple years ago I believe. I feel like I'm missing one, can't remember.

Detmongo
02-28-10, 09:35
cat
the m&p's aredead in the water right now. they somehow failed. i shot one to 15,000 rds of gold dot and it allegedly failed within the last 5000 rds. the k9 and cougars are still in use but only with people that already had them. hope this helps.

cathellsk
02-28-10, 10:29
Thats one thing I always liked about NYPD, grandfathering. :)
If the M&Ps ultimately fail adoption, does the job have any other candidates to replace the 5946? As I understand it Smith wants to do away with all 3rd. gen. auto production.

BT2012
02-28-10, 11:25
BT
Detmongo,

You're right, thanks for the correction. Nickel accents must be for the rookies to differentiate from the senior guys ;).

francis
02-28-10, 11:31
Most of my NYPD buddies (younger guys) carry the Smith 5946. Its considered the "gun guys gun" over there.

Dragon Slayer
02-28-10, 12:25
Most of my NYPD buddies (younger guys) carry the Smith 5946. Its considered the "gun guys gun" over there.

I have nothing against S&W's but they must be confused if they like it better over the Glocks.

francis
02-28-10, 12:39
I have nothing against S&W's but they must be confused if they like it better over the Glocks.

I have owned a Glock 19 since 2005. I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT> I can't say that enough. I have throusands of round whtorugh ti without a malfunction. Unfortunately, the NYPD guys I know have not had the same fortune. Even pat Rogers has said this. It maybe because of Generation two guns and ammo/NY II spring problems. I don't know. This thread made mention of NYPD possibly adopting the smith MP. I called a friend of mine who carries the 5946 (Mid Town south MOS) and he said he's going to sign one out of the equipment section at Rodmans neck if and when they become available.

Detmongo
02-28-10, 14:18
as of now i believe NY Dept. of Corr. and NYPD are they only one buying the 5946's right now. i don't know what will replace them. i suspect it will be the m&p in the future but that will be when Smith threatens to stop production of the 5946 and after WE have ruined the m&p with our stupid spec's.

Detmongo
02-28-10, 14:19

not to piss anyone off but most guys that consider themselves gun guys are not. i'm just saying.

francis
02-28-10, 14:45
not to piss anyone off but most guys that consider themselves gun guys are not. i'm just saying.

Not saying what you're saying isn't true. Thats just the conventional wisdom it seems there. I know one member of this form, an NYPD vet (the guy who reffered me here) said that his 5946 would eat garbage! I personally use a G19 and love it. thinking of buying a second one for training.

Detmongo
02-28-10, 15:03
they are reliable that's for sure.

Dragon Slayer
02-28-10, 15:03
The 5946 is a great gun but lets look at the specs. The Glock also eats garbage but we do not need to feed it garbage. 70% of all law enforcement carries Glocks there must be something about them that is right.

The Glock 19 side by side with the 5946, the 19 is lighter carries the same amount of rounds (the 17 carries two more) and you can have a happy stick for the Glock but not for the 5946.

The Glock is easier to maintain, has fewer parts and is as durable. The subcompact Glocks like the G26 carry more rounds, are lighter and smaller then the SW 3946 for back up or detective under cover use.

Now that is not to say that the SW is not a good gun it is but even the M&P is better, I have a friend that is the Chief of police of a mid size department and they switched to the M&P and they are very very happy after two and a half years.

I would not hesitate to carry the M&P if I could not carry the Glock.

ToddG
02-28-10, 16:05
after WE have ruined the m&p with our stupid spec's.

Have you considered consulting with the FBI? They have some excellent expertise in the area of screwing up S&W pistols with proprietary specs.

Excellent.

70% of all law enforcement carries Glocks there must be something about them that is right.

I stopped reading at that point. Quoting massively inflated numbers from Glock's marketing materials isn't persuasive.

Detmongo
02-28-10, 16:12
hey Todd
i know a guy in the FBI i should call him.:D

ToddG
02-28-10, 16:22
Only if you want to have a 2-hour conversation about the proper location and size of pin holes in 1911 frames...

Dragon Slayer
02-28-10, 17:19
[QUOTE=ToddG;I stopped reading at that point. Quoting massively inflated numbers from Glock's marketing materials isn't persuasive.[/QUOTE]

If you have more accurate numbers from any other source then lets hear them.:confused::)

Detmongo
02-28-10, 18:26
Only if you want to have a 2-hour conversation about the proper location and size of pin holes in 1911 frames...

i don't have 2 hrs right now.:mad:

sjc3081
02-28-10, 19:03
Not saying what you're saying isn't true. Thats just the conventional wisdom it seems there. I know one member of this form, an NYPD vet (the guy who reffered me here) said that his 5946 would eat garbage! I personally use a G19 and love it. thinking of buying a second one for training.

I have a 5946 and it is 100% reliable and goes bang every time with no excuses. While I was with the NYPD and qualifying at Rodmans Neck I personally witnessed many 19s's suffer all kinds of malfunctions. The general Rodmans Neck consensus ten years ago was if you wanted a reliable pistol choose the DOA 226 or the 5946 over the 19.
Plus I personally know three NYPD Officers that had 19s jam during gunfights.

Dragon Slayer
02-28-10, 19:17
I have a 5946 and it is 100% reliable and goes bang every time with no excuses. While I was with the NYPD and qualifying at Rodmans Neck I personally witnessed many 19s's suffer all kinds of malfunctions. The general Rodmans Neck consensus ten years ago was if you wanted a reliable pistol choose the DOA 226 or the 5946 over the 19.
Plus I personally know three NYPD Officers that had 19s jam during gunfights.

The problem you are showing as an example with Glocks and the NYPD has been solved a long time ago. It is a well known fact that the Glock 17/19 are two of the most reliable guns in the world.

Not to say that the S&W or the Sig are not equally reliable, they are, FTM my first SA was a S&W model 59 that never failed and I also carried the Sig 228 and 229 before the Glock came out.:)

I do not work for Glock, I could care less what anybody carries, we are just talking also I am not trying to start an argument and get into a verbal confrontation but the facts are the facts, for every department that carries a S&W 5946 or the Sig or the HK there are ten or more departments that carry the Glock and they are very satisfied.;)

Detmongo
02-28-10, 19:24
guys lets stay on track about the sigs. we are starting to go sideways.

cathellsk
02-28-10, 22:24
Quick range report. I shot alittle over 200rds. the other day. Excellent reliability and accuracy but it consistently grouped low. I was shooting 115gr. WWB and Federal 9BP, our duty load. I couldn't for the life of me keep rounds in the center of the target.

I was also shooting a Ruger P89DAO (duty gun) and a Smith 642. I have alot of experience on DAO autos and can shoot the snubbies and Rugers to point of aim every time. I've had, in the past, a 228 (converted to DAK) and 229 (factory DAK) that always shot to point of aim. And DA/SA SIGs I've shot in the past always were fine with the first DA shot.

Considering the other DAO guns I was shooting were on, I can only assume it was the gun. Of course, it was the first time shooting it and I'm not above taking blame if it was me. Don't know if it could have been the ammo, short trigger, need for a taller rear or shorter front sight (both are marked 8, standard height for 9mm I believe). I'm going again this Thursday. If the results are the same its getting converted to DAK (I checked, it is compatible) or DA/SA. Will have to order the parts.

DAK cutout in frame....

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/001199.JPG

Dave James
03-01-10, 17:30
cat its been a few years but as I remember from the class at SIG the 8's where the standard and set for 124 grain loads

ToddG
03-01-10, 20:40
For those guns that get zeroed by SIG, the target is at 15yd (or 15m, I can't recall off the top of my head) and the acceptable hit zone is large enough that bullet weight is not going to affect trajectory results.

HK45
03-01-10, 21:53
for every department that carries a S&W 5946 or the Sig or the HK there are ten or more departments that carry the Glock and they are very satisfied.;)

One thing I learned a long time ago is that just because something is widely used does not make it the best. There are other factors to consider.

At least this Sig was probably made back when they had a quality product worth their higher price tag. I really liked the DAK triggers and shot them well but I seem to be in the minority.

cathellsk
03-01-10, 22:16
cat its been a few years but as I remember from the class at SIG the 8's where the standard and set for 124 grain loads

Thats what I was figuring. I'm trying some different ammo/weights before making any changes.

cathellsk
03-02-10, 01:26
At least this Sig was probably made back when they had a quality product worth their higher price tag. I really liked the DAK triggers and shot them well but I seem to be in the minority.

BTW...paid $615 for this one, I thought that was a good deal.

N.Y.45 ACP
03-02-10, 20:22
For anyone interested , Top Gun Supply has these Sigs for $650.

N.Y.45 ACP
03-02-10, 20:28
Does anyone know how hard it would be to convert it to DA/SA and whats involved besides needing a decocker?

pcf
03-02-10, 21:25
Does anyone know how hard it would be to convert it to DA/SA and whats involved besides needing a decocker?

34260100 Decocking lever (34260100N for nickel)
34260253 Decocking lever bearing
34221040 Decocking lever spring
1200409 Hammer (1200482 for nickel)
34221120 Hammer strut pin

cathellsk
03-02-10, 22:03
34260100 Decocking lever (34260100N for nickel)
34260253 Decocking lever bearing
34221040 Decocking lever spring
1200409 Hammer (1200482 for nickel)
34221120 Hammer strut pin

This ^. TopGunSupply has a FAQ section that details whats needed. I got the CD from Brownells on how to detail strip a SIG and with the parts list above converted a newer production P228R to DAK with no issue what so ever. Its actually quite easy.

oef24
03-02-10, 23:19
FYI

TopGunSupply.com sent out an email flyer today offering the NYPD 226 with 3 mags for $649. They said it was an "overrun". I thought someone might be interested and wanted to share the info. Good luck.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sauer-p226-nypd-9mm-nitron-night-sights-dao-nickel-accents-3-mags.html

O

Scotter260
03-03-10, 19:27
They also went "Out-of-Stock" sometime this morning. I received email notice of their arrival Tuesday at 3:40pm CST, they didn't last long at all.

N.Y.45 ACP
03-03-10, 20:33
Thanks pcf and cathellsk.

Looks like TGS is out of stock so I won't be putting that info to use.