PDA

View Full Version : AAC Brakeout

mildot
02-25-10, 07:58
Anyone have any idea when this will be available for sale?
Any dealers on the board going to carry some/ pre order?
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a76/mildot326/brakeout-for-web-final.jpg

rob_s
02-25-10, 08:14
I hear that the version pictured is probably sometime next month, I'd guess closer to middle/end.

Cagemonkey
02-25-10, 08:20
Check out this brake by Rainier Arms. www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1684

ColdDeadHands
02-25-10, 09:46
supposedly soon! LOL that's all I can tell you. :D

.45fmjoe
02-25-10, 15:29
I wonder how obnoxious it will be for the shooter?

JRDavis89
03-14-10, 00:33
Well at least one version is out now. :)

http://www.advanced-armament.com/product.aspx?pid=682

ColdDeadHands
03-14-10, 08:13
I'd be interested how it compares to the PWS FSC556.

rob_s
03-14-10, 08:23
I'd be interested how it compares to the PWS FSC556.

I'm planning on buying both, and the Rainier item linked to above.

while it will be totally unscientific and will not address rise or acceleration, I'm planning on making up a little rest/sled and measuring how far back the rifle moves in the sled with each of the three.

ColdDeadHands
03-14-10, 09:20
Cool, can't wait to see the results. Maybe you could comment on muzzle rise from a non scientific standpoint. :D

militarymoron
03-14-10, 09:53
i'm more interested in muzzle rise than recoil reduction (althought that's good to know, too).
maybe there's some way of supporting it that allows it to 'jump' at the muzzle, and the amount of jump indicated by how much it moves/displaces a marker? a regular v-rest at the front should work.

rob_s
03-14-10, 09:59
Rise will be second, but will be a bit harder to measure. My hope is to work out a jig that works for both, with a way to lock it in either dimension to measure strictly that dimension. So a way to lock the gun down to measure straight back, and lock it fore/aft to measure straight rise. The range I use has concrete shooting benches permanently affixed to the ground on concrete piers so all I have to do is work out a way to clamp it to that and it should be solid.

The problem with climb is that if the rig is too heavy it won't climb at all. It needs to have a way to fix the stock to the rig, but pivot, and let the rest of the gun move freely in the vertical direction only. My intent is to modify a spare M4 stock so that the rifle can be bolted down at the toe.

Rated21R
03-14-10, 11:53
i'd like to see these results. i have been thinking about both.

Ratfink
03-14-10, 18:16
aww i just got a new upper with a blackout welded to it since its a 14.5 and then somthing like this comes out and that is pretty sweet looking i havent shot my new upper the lower is still being built it never fails whenever i get somthing cool somthing cooler comes out :rolleyes:

Robb Jensen
03-14-10, 18:20
I'm hoping to get mine in our first shipment from AAC that we ordered at SHOT this year.

crazymoose
03-14-10, 20:37
I'm curious to see if this thing will offer any real flash suppression. Most of the "combination" devices I've seen aren't all that great in the flash suppression department.

RadioActivity
03-14-10, 21:29
Hmmm........

Flash is a function of unburned powder combined with oxygen, and flash hiders function by accelerating the process (something to do with surface area of the tines of the FH) within the confines of the flash hider, shielding it from view. Or...uh...something like that

So...wouldn't the FSC556 work significantly better as the ports on the sides have tines? And it seems to me that they redirect the blast better as well...

Just thinking out loud here.

Magsz
03-14-10, 21:57
I'm curious to see if this thing will offer any real flash suppression. Most of the "combination" devices I've seen aren't all that great in the flash suppression department.

Ever tried an FSC556? Its no vortex but its also not a fireball throwing monster. Considering its a pretty damned good compensator i would say its actually a pretty amazing jack of all trades.

crazymoose
03-15-10, 00:13
Have tried it. Seemed to me to suppress flash about like an A2, but pics I've seen in the dark make it actually look less effective.

I understand that a balance has to be struck between the ported gas coming out of the sides vs. the amount going out through the end and being affected by the tines. The more gas comes out the sides, the more effective the brake, but that also means less flash dissipation. As ClosetCaseNerd pointed out, even the side ports of the FSC have tines (although I don't know if they're functional or merely aesthetic). However, the Breakout appears to have pretty giant side ports, so I'm wondering how much unburned powder is actually going to make it through the tines on the end. I have no doubt that this thing will be quite an effective brake, but I'm dubious of its benefits as a FH. I hope my concerns are unfounded. AAC makes a hell of a product, and I wouldn't put it past them to pull this off.

mpom
03-15-10, 14:17
Rise will be second, but will be a bit harder to measure. My hope is to work out a jig that works for both, with a way to lock it in either dimension to measure strictly that dimension. So a way to lock the gun down to measure straight back, and lock it fore/aft to measure straight rise. The range I use has concrete shooting benches permanently affixed to the ground on concrete piers so all I have to do is work out a way to clamp it to that and it should be solid.

The problem with climb is that if the rig is too heavy it won't climb at all. It needs to have a way to fix the stock to the rig, but pivot, and let the rest of the gun move freely in the vertical direction only. My intent is to modify a spare M4 stock so that the rifle can be bolted down at the toe.

If the rifle pivots around the toe, say via a horizontal bolt through the quick release sleeve or a sling hole if present, and a video camera captures the rifle movement while it fires, with a ruler positioned vertically just back off the muzzle, max height reached by the barrel can be measured for each of the muzzle brakes/FH.
Looking forward to the results. Objective info is hard to come by; lots of subjective "feel like.." and BS ads.
Thanks in advance, Rob.

Mark

El Mac
03-15-10, 15:05
At least with the FSC556 and the AAC Brakeout, you are able to mount a supressor.

SHIVAN
03-15-10, 15:10
Will it work with the M4-1000 spring? I assume a shim kit for correct timing? Wonder what they changed to allow shim kit use, where shims were verboten before...???

mtdawg169
03-15-10, 15:30
Shivan - I don't think it will work with the M41000 because they have only released the 51 tooth ratchet mount version. Just a guess, but I think the difference regarding shims is due to the brakeout needing to be timed so that the ports are oriented correctly, versus the standard blackout not needing to be timed.

Boss Hogg
03-15-10, 15:41
That looks pretty cool. I wonder how obnoxious the muzzle blast is compared to PWS and Surefire brakes.

Magsz
03-15-10, 15:56
That looks pretty cool. I wonder how obnoxious the muzzle blast is compared to PWS and Surefire brakes.

Probably somewhere in between the two. The surefire is absolutely obnoxious whereas the PWS offering is really quite tame when it comes to brakes.

mildot
03-30-10, 13:35
Anyone have one mounted? pics?
I'm a couple weeks out getting from getting mine done.

Robb Jensen
03-30-10, 13:39
Will it work with the M4-1000 spring? I assume a shim kit for correct timing? Wonder what they changed to allow shim kit use, where shims were verboten before...???

It's flat on the very back allowing the use of shims.

http://www.advancedarmament.com/product.aspx?pid=186

JasonM
03-30-10, 17:03

A spring-mount can will screw on to this and will probably work for at least a few shots, but we can't cover it via warranty as the springs won't grab the ratchet teeth enough to secure the can.

Shims have always "been allowed" to be used with the Blackout hiders, but they were unnecessary (no timing needed) and could cause problems on some of them (the hiders that have a counterbored back).

It was crush washers that were/are verboten.

Our Blackout brakes (and now the Brakeout) have flat backs and come with shim kits for timing.

We are not selling this as the best thing since sliced bread. It is a good compromise between a brake and the hider. That said, the blackout hiders are tops for flash suppression, and the full brakes kill recoil best. But the Brakeouts are a good compromise in both areas.

The first batch sold out QUICK, we have more on the way.

rubberneck
03-30-10, 17:31
Has the ATF told you guys if this is considered a break or a flash hider. Those of us behind enemy lines would like to know.

JasonM
03-30-10, 17:34
Has the ATF told you guys if this is considered a break or a flash hider. Those of us behind enemy lines would like to know.

That's a good question,
let me find out.

RyanS
03-30-10, 19:31
Do you plan on offering a non-mount version?

cfulback32
03-30-10, 21:08

Rob (or anyone else interested in making something similar), here is somewhere for you to get started on that jig and some methodology for measuring the recoil.

part 1: http://www.scribd.com/doc/22829784/AR15-Compensators-pt-1

part 2: http://www.scribd.com/doc/22829785/AR15-Compensators-pt-2

JasonM
03-30-10, 21:19
Do you plan on offering a non-mount version?

Yes, we are planning non-mount versions of the Brakeout and the brakes. BUT, no timeline for that yet.

Plato
05-03-10, 19:06
aww i just got a new upper with a blackout welded to it since its a 14.5 and then somthing like this comes out and that is pretty sweet looking i havent shot my new upper the lower is still being built it never fails whenever i get somthing cool somthing cooler comes out :rolleyes:

Story of my life...

I just had an AAC brakeout put onto my Noveske...
Going to shoot it tomorrow!

Dos Cylindros
05-03-10, 19:26
I like mine, though I have not had the chance to get it to the range just yet, next week for sure.

Pic on a BCM 16" LW middy.

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac335/4N20/muzzle.jpg

2112co
05-05-10, 10:45
Plato and DC, would like a range report on the Brakeout when you get a chance. Also is the Brake out a good option for an SBR(10.5 LMT)?

mildot
05-05-10, 10:49
If you are running this brake, non suppressor use can/should you use a crush washer? or nothing at all?

JasonM
05-05-10, 11:06
Plato and DC, would like a range report on the Brakeout when you get a chance. Also is the Brake out a good option for an SBR(10.5 LMT)?

It's a good option for an SBR. It will be LOUD like all brakes, but it also gives a "baffle-like" surface to absorb some of the blast, protecting your silencer's blast baffle somewhat.

I find all 10 inch guns to be loud no matter what is on the front (not counting a silencer)

JasonM
05-05-10, 11:07
If you are running this brake, non suppressor use can/should you use a crush washer? or nothing at all?

You should still use the included shim kit to time it as the 3 "brake ports" are designed to line up at 9, 12 and 3 o'clock. (closed bottom)

JohnnyC
05-05-10, 12:56
It's a good option for an SBR. It will be LOUD like all brakes, but it also gives a "baffle-like" surface to absorb some of the blast, protecting your silencer's blast baffle somewhat.

I find all 10 inch guns to be loud no matter what is on the front (not counting a silencer)

Any reason the Brake isn't on the website anymore? I've got a spare for when I burn through the one on my SBR but I wouldn't mind having another backup.

JasonM
05-05-10, 13:01
Any reason the Brake isn't on the website anymore? I've got a spare for when I burn through the one on my SBR but I wouldn't mind having another backup.

Our website is being updated this week, new backend, so it will be spotty. We should have them in stock, you can call and order, or the site should show them next week.

-Jason

Pappabear
05-05-10, 22:12
Anybody else getting theirs? I have one on order and they keep saying Fri then Fri then ...just wondered. Mines going on a 16 inch so no big deal. I still wondered what up?