PDA

View Full Version : Surefire Helmet Light Question

scottryan
02-25-10, 13:34
What is the most desirable color of navigation lights on these, blue or red, and why?

Cold Zero
02-26-10, 16:26
Blue is preferred for Medics, better able to see blood.

I will defer to others for comment on Red.

SIGguy229
02-26-10, 17:11
Some/most maps are designed to be used in red light...

Garrasa
02-26-10, 17:17
because red wont destroy your natural night vision like blue, green, and white light. So if your trying to read something in the dark, and not loose your natural night vision, go red.

UVvis
02-26-10, 18:01
Blue is preferred for Medics, better able to see blood.

I will defer to others for comment on Red.

Where did you get this information? Blue light makes red blood appear black.

For lights...

Red's benefit as has been mentioned is the preservation of night vision as it doesn't bleach out your blue and green photoreceptors or your rods very much. Stupid low energy red. For me, I loose some depth perception in red only lighting and I much prefer a dim blue or green for low light.

doug1193
02-27-10, 12:57
[QUOTE=UVvis;584502]Where did you get this information? Blue light makes red blood appear black.

Exactly.....Red light trying to find a bleeder would make it more difficult to see

Iraqgunz
02-27-10, 13:11
In my opinion green. Most military maps can be read better when using a green light and in my personal experience the green light isn't as harsh on the eyes/ night vision.

Cold Zero
02-27-10, 17:03
Where did you get this information? Blue light makes red blood appear black.

Let's see, even on Surefire's website to guide you on selecting Lens cover colors, it says:

The F06 Blue Filter produces a smooth beam of blue light. Hunters use the blue filter to track wounded game at night because blood stands out more distinctly against foliage when viewed under blue light.

Armati
02-27-10, 22:42
First, why do you need such a light?

I have always been partial to blue because it is the shortest wavelength of light, meaning that the light is less visible at longer distances than red.

The dome lights in armored vehicles are blue for this reason.

Green is used by air crews because it does not wash out NVGs.

Medics use blue because you can see blood with it. A red light makes it hard to see red blood.

These days, with the prevalence of GPS, red light readable maps are not as important. In many cases, you will simply have locally printed imagery from a satellite or UAV. That with a GPS and a little terrain association will often be all you need.

I use the blue Surefire light for .mil purposes.

UVvis
03-01-10, 11:30
Let's see, even on Surefire's website to guide you on selecting Lens cover colors, it says:

The F06 Blue Filter produces a smooth beam of blue light. Hunters use the blue filter to track wounded game at night because blood stands out more distinctly against foliage when viewed under blue light.

Just curious if you have ever actually used blue light at night around blood? I've tried blue light for tracking, and it was pretty much useless to find little drops of black, in the woods, at night. Lets look for shiny black things in the woods at night! :( I'm not sure how or why this blue for blood thing came to be.

The lights that augment the blue with blinking red are slightly better in my opinion. For medical uses, it would be a pain unless you are just treating minor surface injuries.

UVvis
03-01-10, 12:03
I have always been partial to blue because it is the shortest wavelength of light, meaning that the light is less visible at longer distances than red.

The dome lights in armored vehicles are blue for this reason.

Green is used by air crews because it does not wash out NVGs.

Medics use blue because you can see blood with it. A red light makes it hard to see red blood.

Just curious where this information comes from?

Blue and violet are shortest wavelengths, and have the most penetration through water/ice. Red is the longest wavelength, shortest energy, and hardest for the eye to see.

I thought green or yellow/green around 550-560nm was used as the eye is most sensitive to those colors, meaning you have the best vision with the lowest intensity of light in this range.

Any single color would be hard to see blood with, red or blue.

Cold Zero
03-02-10, 06:45
Just curious if you have ever actually used blue light at night around blood? I've tried blue light for tracking, and it was pretty much useless to find little drops of black, in the woods, at night. Lets look for shiny black things in the woods at night! :

I do have a Blue filter for my Surefire and have used it after sunset while looking for deer blood. The blood apperaed dark Navy blue to black to me. I think Red would make it harder to see and if you do not want to use white light, Blue may be the best way to go.

VooDoo6Actual
03-02-10, 13:03
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/teehee321/NoctisHunter.jpg

Lots of hours Hunting @ night Maritime & Terra Firma.

Combat Tracker vetted as well.

I prefer Blue or Green.

Red is harsher on my NV and I can notice the difference.

I have ZERO difficulty finding a quarry's blood spoor.