PDA

View Full Version : AAFES doesn't save you money everyday.

13F3OL7
02-25-10, 20:40
So, I was looking in my local PX for YakTrax, taking a spill with 50+ pounds on your back isn't fun, and decided to look at what they have at the gun counter. Imagine my surprise when I saw a stripped DPMS lower for $275. They also had a Springfield TRP Operator for about $1,800. I always knew AAFES was a bunch of crooks, but holy shit.

Shotdown
02-25-10, 20:59
This sounds like the AAFES on Nellis.

13F3OL7
02-25-10, 22:07
Not even close. Try Ft Wainwright. I like how you're not supposed to pay taxes on anything you buy on post, yet you pay the same price for gas as out in town. Unless of course you want to use your Star Card. What a rip off.

KS Trekker
02-25-10, 22:36
Same with alcohol at the Class VI. Shouldn't be significantly cheaper without the tax than a liquor store off post/base? The Commissary (DeCA, not AAFES) still has some pretty good deals. I go to Ft. Leavenworth and load up on cheap groceries about once a month.

FDC
02-26-10, 00:26
AAFES is hit and miss.

Sometimes the prices are ridiculously high, sometimes a deal can be found. Convenience versus the drive at $3.17 a gallon of gas can help if you are just looking for a few things.

The commissary, on the other hand, will save you money compared to off post.

"you're not supposed to pay taxes on anything you buy on post"

This statement is not true.

Lee Indy
02-26-10, 05:25
affes sucks.

Belmont31R
02-26-10, 07:25
AAFES as far as I know is not allowed to offer deals that are significantly better than the local economy. This is why they charge the same or more as gas off post...but off post gas you are paying state and federal gas taxes. On post you are not so they are making about 45 cents a gallon or more compared to the 3-5 cents per gallon off post makes.

They are full of shit though. I remember in Iraq all these signs that talked about how no matter where you go the prices will be the same. That is some BS. Also pissed me off how they got the local vendors kicked off a lot of posts over there. Luckily where I was at we didn't have aafes, and got much better deals for what we needed from the locals.

Then remember those pogs they were using for change, and told everyone you could use them anywhere at AAFES? My team leader on my 1st deployment saved up a big bag full of them, and then the idiots back in Germany refused to accept them. So he had like 40-50 worth of these pogs they would not accept even though they told us they would. They are lying thieves.

13F3OL7
02-26-10, 08:32
"you're not supposed to pay taxes on anything you buy on post"

This statement is not true.

Based on the last 10 years I find it to be true.

bjw182005
02-26-10, 08:46
You dont always pay tax, but most AAFES charge a "surcharge". At least the ones ive been to. Check your receipts.

Ash Hess
02-26-10, 08:59
You never know with the PX here. Rifles are cheaper but Ammo more expensive than off post.

But I have always wondered why they call the paper coins Pog's when the only people that get to use them are POG's?

CarlosDJackal
02-26-10, 09:16
Not even close. Try Ft Wainwright. I like how you're not supposed to pay taxes on anything you buy on post, yet you pay the same price for gas as out in town. Unless of course you want to use your Star Card. What a rip off.

Oh, Dude. The AAFES in Alaska generally are generally more expensive. It all depends on where you are (location, location, location). I've been to posts where the AAFES is the way to go for clothing, furniture, electronics, and such; but is more expensive when it comes to food items.

I've been in places were it's the opposite and everything in between. Smart buyers need to compare prices.

FDC
02-26-10, 09:38
Based on the last 10 years I find it to be true.

Go to the GNC in your PX--either buy something and look at your reciept, or ask them.

tirod
02-26-10, 09:57
This started a long time ago, back in the nineties. AAFES was put on a pay your way basis by their boss, I think Congress. Since the government employees certainly weren't going to cut their pay to Walmart levels, prices went up.

Since then, most of what I have seen at FLW, Ft Dix, Hood, etc, including the NAVEX at GTMO, some stuff is high. Certain commodities should be even higher in some contexts, like milk on GTMO. Some stuff is dirt cheap, way under retail, because apparently someone didn't play the MSRP game. Is CRKT going to quit selling knives to AAFES because the Titanium M16 knives were 25% less than off post? No. The serviceman wins. I still use it 8 years later.

In general, I saw jewelry, perfume, and liquor way under market prices. Field gear is a single source deal, but always way under the used/surplus off post. Groceries about the same, gas is a joke, and electronics hit or miss. One thing you do get is a completely different variety - not the same old big box junk.

AAFES hasn't been cheap for a long time now, but it's still a good deal like any other, just shop it.

13F3OL7
02-26-10, 10:58
You dont always pay tax, but most AAFES charge a "surcharge". At least the ones ive been to. Check your receipts.

The commissary adds a surcharge. When I bought my YakTrax yesterday there was no surcharge added by the PX.

FDC: There is no GNC here. They do have some sports nutrition store, but whenever I'm in the market for that sort of thing I order off the internet since it is cheaper even with shipping included.