PDA

View Full Version : Installing sights on a Glock

Mark/MO
02-25-10, 21:32
I have two Glock 19’s, mine and my wife’s. I love them but have never liked the factory plastic sights. I dislike the front sight being so wide and the fact their plastic. I’d like to install either Heinie sights with a QWIK rear or a Warren /Sevigny set, just haven’t made up my mind yet.
For the cost of the two installations it appears I could nearly buy a rear sight installation tool and do it myself. Does this sound right? If so, what tool would you recommend? Never having done this it looks pretty straightforward but is it harder or trickier than I’m thinking? Suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Fire_Medic
02-25-10, 21:32
Buy the MGW brand Glock rear sight tool, and whichever front sight tool suits you from Brownell's and have at it. If you have good eyes and can turn a handle you on install sights on a Glock.
:)

Palmguy
02-25-10, 21:43
It's easy.

You can always buy the tool and sell it after you're done. Even if you lose some money, it'd likely be less than the cost of paying for two installations.

zephyr
02-25-10, 22:00
Buy the MGW brand Glock rear sight tool, and whichever front sight tool suits you from Brownell's and have at it. If you have good eyes and can turn a handle you on install sights on a Glock.
:)

Agreed. I have the MGW tool and the Glock front sight tool and found it very easy to change the sights. Took around 10 minutes and that was taking my time.

tpd223
02-26-10, 05:16
You actually need a sight pusher like you need a hole in the head.

I've installed and zero'd hundreds of night sights on S&Ws and Glocks over the years, never used anything but a plastic mallet or a brass drift and proper hammer.

Seriously, Glock sights are stupid simple to swap out.

Robb Jensen
02-26-10, 06:48
After installing 1000s of sights sucessfully using sight pushers I cracked a Glock slide a few months ago (still haven't received the slide from Glock).
Now all rear Glock sights are installed using a brass drift. I install the slide into a padded vise with one vise on the slides top and the other on the slides bottom. I only use the sight tools for making fine adjustments.

VMI-MO
02-26-10, 06:55
After installing 1000s of sights sucessfully using sight pushers I cracked a Glock slide a few months ago (still haven't received the slide from Glock).
Now all rear Glock sights are installed using a brass drift. I install the slide into a padded vise with one vise on the slides top and the other on the slides bottom. I only use the sight tools for making fine adjustments.

If you do not have a vice you can make your own by:
1) Set your slide down on a work bench that is sturdy and you can screw into.
2) Flush up a piece of 2x4 with the long axis of the slide. LEaving about the last 1" of the slide exposed. Screw this 2x4 in.
3) Repeat this for the other side.

I have installed several pairs of Warrens and this is how I have done them all with no problems.

For the front sight I just use some 10$ tool from brownells.

ETA: I also use the hammer/punch method and it has worked fine for me.

PJ

Mark/MO
02-26-10, 07:04
Thanks for the advice. Several of you have recommended simply using a drift rather than a pusher. What if the sight is a night sight, would you still use a drift?
Thanks.

Robb Jensen
02-26-10, 09:06
Thanks for the advice. Several of you have recommended simply using a drift rather than a pusher. What if the sight is a night sight, would you still use a drift?
Thanks.

You can't go nuts on hitting the night sights but they will take the pounding pretty well just as they do in recoil. I've killed a couple of front sights on Kimbers but after a time or two you learn how much they can take.

TEXAS_GLOCKER
02-27-10, 00:10
As far as fine tunning, if you put the sites dead center, shouldnt this be close enough? I installed some XS big dots and that all I did, but Im going to get the Warrens now. Dont they have a set screw? If I test fire them and I need to move them will they be ok to leave out the screw until Im happy with the hits and then locktite the screw or will they move while shooting with out the set screw? Thanks--Josh.