PDA

View Full Version : Saudi Prince owns large stake in News Corp?

uwe1
02-25-10, 23:36
I didn't even know this, until recently, but it seems that the parent company of Fox News is getting a little too close to the Saudis. Makes you wonder if we can trust ANY of our news sources here in the U.S.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/media/7301238/News-Corp-buys-into-Saudi-media-empire.html

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/02/10/right-rebels-foxnews/

Honu
02-26-10, 01:49
think progress ??? a far left wackjob run site anything they say I take with a major dose of far left radical agenda unless you like Podesta and Van Jones ?
think progress wants to destroy fox news so paint anything and everything in bad light about them and considering they quote media matters !!!
ignore that site unless you are a left winger ?

Newscorp is a public company the saudi guy owns/bought %7 thats not so much he can do what he wants the company(fox) is out to make money not be bullied around
and newscorp bought some %9 of the saudi company
I imagine they did it to get into the saudi market more and to use the saudi media in the newcorp empire

like it or not ? not sure what to think but I am not to worried they are going to boot people or control what is being said ! if that happens I am sure some will speak out and fox will loose their top position in the new rating game and murdoch wont let that happen !!!!

thats my thoughts on it :)

austinN4
02-26-10, 05:58
From Wiki:

Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal bin Abdul Aziz Al Saud is a member of the Saudi Royal Family. He is the nephew of the Saudi Arabian King Abdullah. An entrepreneur and international investor but without real political power within the House of Saud or in Saudi Arabia, he has amassed a fortune through investments in real estate and the stock market.

As of August 2009, his net worth is estimated at US$16.3 billion, down from $21 billion, according to the Arabian Business rich list published August 29, 2009. He is ranked by Forbes as the 22nd richest person in the world. He has been nicknamed by Time magazine as the Arabian Warren Buffett.

uwe1
02-26-10, 09:42
think progress ??? a far left wackjob run site anything they say I take with a major dose of far left radical agenda unless you like Podesta and Van Jones ?
think progress wants to destroy fox news so paint anything and everything in bad light about them and considering they quote media matters !!!
ignore that site unless you are a left winger ?

Yes, I know, Think Progress is far left, and no, I can assure you that I am quite conservative in my beliefs. I was only posting this thread for a thought based discussion and not an attack on Fox News. Frankly, Fox News is all I watch anymore, when I do watch the news. I happen to watch Glenn Beck most nights. This topic came up while I was listening to conservative talk show host Jerry Doyle. Doing business makes for strange partners, especially in publicly traded companies. Yet, I can't help, but wonder how much influence over our news media this could give a potentially unfriendly foreign power.

This is the same Saudi prince that Giuliani tangled with after 9/11. Some also think that he has used his influence to get money to the families of Palestinian "martyrs". I don't know much about him, but was trying to see what the other members thought.

uwe1
02-26-10, 09:51
From Wiki:

Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal bin Abdul Aziz Al Saud is a member of the Saudi Royal Family. He is the nephew of the Saudi Arabian King Abdullah. An entrepreneur and international investor but without real political power within the House of Saud or in Saudi Arabia, he has amassed a fortune through investments in real estate and the stock market.

As of August 2009, his net worth is estimated at US$16.3 billion, down from $21 billion, according to the Arabian Business rich list published August 29, 2009. He is ranked by Forbes as the 22nd richest person in the world. He has been nicknamed by Time magazine as the Arabian Warren Buffett.

Comparing him to a businessman like Warren Buffet certainly makes him a bit less threatening. What if Time magazine called him the Arabian George Soros (who happens to be #29 richest person in the world)?

Honu
02-26-10, 10:22
I never meant it saying you are a left nut :) purely doing a brain dump of my thoughts :)

but yeah not sure what to think but I tend to think a guy over their loosing money wants money more than anything and wont have power to do much as he is only %7 stock holder ? and the company is a public traded company and if anything happens where he tries to puff up his beliefs it will backfire on him and newscorp

now if he owned %70 I would be a bit more worried

uwe1
02-26-10, 11:59
I never meant it saying you are a left nut :) purely doing a brain dump of my thoughts :)

but yeah not sure what to think but I tend to think a guy over their loosing money wants money more than anything and wont have power to do much as he is only %7 stock holder ? and the company is a public traded company and if anything happens where he tries to puff up his beliefs it will backfire on him and newscorp

now if he owned %70 I would be a bit more worried

You know, I saw the 7% and thought the same thing that you did. Then, I saw that News Corp was increasing their holdings in a Saudi media company and the conspiracy theorist in me began to wonder what may be going on behind the scenes. My thoughts were that if the last news organization (fox) that tries to be somewhat fair and balanced gets influenced, we won't have any other alternatives. Msnbc and cnn are not what I would consider valid news organizations.

Honu
02-26-10, 14:28
I hear ya :)

I looked at it like saudis bought %7 of newscorp so lets buy %9 of saudi company

that way we can control what they do with their stuff should the saudis try to influence us

since newscorp owns more of them then they own of newscorp its kinda like checkmate

SeriousStudent
02-26-10, 17:49
You should look at who owns the controlling interest in Reuters.

And it's a much bigger stake than 9 percent.

ffusaf23
02-26-10, 20:11
Makes you wonder if we can trust ANY of our news sources here in the U.S.

We can't......and yes, I have a tin foil hat.;)

Rembrandt
02-26-10, 21:21
With the high ratings at FOX, I may buy some of their stock....looks like a win-win, invest in a media outlet that leans conservative and make money at the same time.

Belmont31R
02-26-10, 21:30
And several higher ups at other news stations are in bed with Obama....

CEO of GE which owns MSNBC. Owner of ABC....etc In fact they are on some of his "committees" he has.....

m4fun
02-26-10, 22:26
GE is totally in bed with the administration. Not only is the CEO a frequent visitor at the White House, they have buku to gain with Cap and Trade - and their carbon credits. Hell, that and the 3rd party dealings with Iran.

Fox News is it. And the way Beck goes after both dems and repubs is refreshing.

Belmont31R
02-26-10, 22:42
GE is totally in bed with the administration. Not only is the CEO a frequent visitor at the White House, they have buku to gain with Cap and Trade - and their carbon credits. Hell, that and the 3rd party dealings with Iran.

Fox News is it. And the way Beck goes after both dems and repubs is refreshing.

Jeffrey Immelt is the CEO of GE which owns MSNBC. Immelt is as you said a Whitehouse visitor often.

Robert Iger is the CEO of Disney which owns ABC, and is also a Whitehouse visitor.