PDA

View Full Version : Colt LE6920 Chrome Lining on Barrells

guns85
02-26-10, 09:09
I had a friend just send me an article where it said that Colt doesn't chrome line the bores anymore. I just bought a Colt LE6920 this past January. I haven't looked to see if the barrell and receiver is chrome lined or not but I will sometime this weekend. Can anyone verify any of this information. Here is the post that was sent to me.

http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/ar15sforserious.htm

TOrrock
02-26-10, 09:12
I had a friend just send me an article where it said that Colt doesn't chrome line the bores anymore. I just bought a Colt LE6920 this past January. I haven't looked to see if the barrell and receiver is chrome lined or not but I will sometime this weekend. Can anyone verify any of this information. Here is the post that was sent to me.

http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/ar15sforserious.htm

Your 6920's bore and chamber is hard chromed.

The Colt 20" post ban Match Target AR's were not.

JStor
02-26-10, 19:16
The post ban Match Targets were not chrome lined for a few years with the exception of the MT6400C. But somewhere along the line, they started doing the chrome lining again.

Last year I brought home a MT6700 20 inch Colt and it is definitely chrome lined. It also came with the full circle M16 bolt carrier that was lacking in Colt models for a few years.

guns85
02-27-10, 10:36
How can you tell if a bore and barrell are chrome lined. Do you just shine a flashlight down the barrell???

TOrrock
02-27-10, 10:54
How can you tell if a bore and barrell are chrome lined. Do you just shine a flashlight down the barrell???

Can you tell the difference between polished steel and hard chrome?

Hard chrome is going to be more of a matte finish. If you take a look at the inside of your bolt carrier, that's hard chromed as well.

Or, you can trust us.

That article was written at least 10 years ago and is not relevant today.

guns85
02-27-10, 11:11
I will trust you guys. Thanks for the info.

Colo.TJ
02-27-10, 11:40
From my understanding, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, although chrome lining adds to the durability of a barrel a non chrome lined barrel is more accurate hence the match barrels not being chrome lined.

TOrrock
02-27-10, 11:42
From my understanding, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, although chrome lining adds to the durability of a barrel a non chrome lined barrel is more accurate hence the match barrels not being chrome lined.

Bench rest possibly, but practical accuracy, not really. It was more of an excuse for Colt to save money at a time when they were about to go bankrupt.

BR870
02-27-10, 20:18
That article is clearly ban era info, and way out of date. He specifically states at the bottom "All materials at this site not otherwise credited are Copyright © 1996 - 2001 Trip Williams" so at best it is 9 years out of date, possibly closer to 14...

None of it applies to any of the "Law Enforcement" series of carbines like the 6920 or 6940....