PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide

Adam0331
02-26-10, 09:11
Hello all. This is my first post here and I could use a little help.

I've been looking for a new AR and I'm pretty much set on an LWRC. My question is, should I get 5.56 or 6.8? I am leaning toward the 5.56 because I have about 100 magazines for it. Please let me know the pros/cons of each. I am pretty familiar with 5.56 but I don't know much about the 6.8, and I've even heard that they may stop making 6.8 in the near future because the military didn't adopt it. That could be way out in left field, just something I've heard. TIA.

Stevieterry
02-26-10, 09:22
Hey im pretty new here to and had basicly the same questions and more.

Check out my post

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=48127

4 pages of everyone helping me on which gun to pick and why. Alot of good stuff there.

tracker722
02-26-10, 10:17

M0rtarMan
02-26-10, 13:43
What is making you choose LWRC?

I am a piston fanatic, and have a lot of experience with CMMG, Adams Arms, PWS, LMT, Ares, and Osprey.

I have handled but not shot LWRC rifles. They appear to be well made. If you are looking for purpose/design built piston AR's you should look at AdamsArms and PWS before buying.

PWS is wholly different than most other designs, and IMHO are one of the best piston AR's on the market. Adams Arms is also fantastic, and the simplicity of their design is unmatched period.

I know this forum has an affiliation with LWRC, but I am going to say this anyway. (I guess since I was banned from ARF.com for talking honestly about a vendor, I will cross my fingers here)

The Guys at PWS are INCREDIBLE. Both from a customer service perspective and service after the sale support. You cannot expect better from a manufacturer. This means that PWS acts like they want your business.

LWRC has a problem (or they did back in 07). They believe that you should be honored that they allowed you to own one of their weapons. This is my opinion, and I got this opinion after unsuccessfully attempting to order an upper back in 07. They have a "hero in our own mind" mentality with a heavy dose of ego. It is a good thing that I ended up looking elsewhere for my piston needs, because this lead me to link up with Adams Arms, specifically Jason Adams.
I ended up receiving the very first production Adams Arms Piston System on the market (custom engraved by Jason). I really like dealing with manufacturers who appreciate your business and appreciate your opinion. LWRC had/has kind of a "when we want your opinion we will give it to you".

That being said, once again, please understand that plenty of other people have nothing but good things to say about LWRC, and they do make a great product. This is a forum, and I am not breaking any forum rules telling you my opinion. I jut wanted to put this out there for you.

I currently own 5 piston AR's from 3 different manufacturers (LMT, Adams, PWS), and each has their strong and weak points. I can tell you that once you get a piston AR you will enjoy shooting a lot more (not having to worry about a 2 hour cleaning session afterward). Some people will tell you they are less reliable or less accurate than a DI rifle, I have 1000's of rounds through my piston guns and the only stoppages I have experienced are due to sub-par ammunition.

Pile of Pistons:
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o135/jnortham/DSC_2208.jpg

Semper Fi Devil Dog (from a former 0341)

Adam0331
02-26-10, 14:46
I appreciate all input. The main reason I chose LWRC was because I have several friends who have them and are very pleased with them and they told me their customer service and support was incredible as well. I will definitely check out the other weapons you mentioned, though. I am open to all opinions.

M0rtarMan
02-26-10, 15:00
I appreciate all input. The main reason I chose LWRC was because I have several friends who have them and are very pleased with them and they told me their customer service and support was incredible as well. I will definitely check out the other weapons you mentioned, though. I am open to all opinions.

Where are you stationed Devil Dog?

Adam0331
02-26-10, 15:00
Where are you stationed Devil Dog?

I'm on I&I duty up in Harrisburg, PA. I was with 1/2 down in Lejeune before I came up here.

Aggie510
02-26-10, 15:01

LWRC has a problem (or they did back in 07).

They have come under new and better management since then.

M0rtarMan
02-26-10, 15:05
I'm on I&I duty up in Harrisburg, PA. I was with 1/2 down in Lejeune before I came up here.

I did some work down at FTIG in the Spring of 08 with the 56th SBCT. I love Harrisburg.

Charles Daly's are made in Harrisburg PA.

Adam0331
02-26-10, 15:41
I did some work down at FTIG in the Spring of 08 with the 56th SBCT. I love Harrisburg.

Charles Daly's are made in Harrisburg PA.

Let me know if you ever get up this way again. We train at the Gap all the time.

M0rtarMan
02-26-10, 16:11
Let me know if you ever get up this way again. We train at the Gap all the time.

Roger that!

Q-1
02-26-10, 18:55

LWRC has a problem (or they did back in 07). They believe that you should be honored that they allowed you to own one of their weapons. This is my opinion, and I got this opinion after unsuccessfully attempting to order an upper back in 07. They have a "hero in our own mind" mentality with a heavy dose of ego. It is a good thing that I ended up looking elsewhere for my piston needs, because this lead me to link up with Adams Arms, specifically Jason Adams.
I ended up receiving the very first production Adams Arms Piston System on the market (custom engraved by Jason). I really like dealing with manufacturers who appreciate your business and appreciate your opinion. LWRC had/has kind of a "when we want your opinion we will give it to you".

That being said, once again, please understand that plenty of other people have nothing but good things to say about LWRC, and they do make a great product. This is a forum, and I am not breaking any forum rules telling you my opinion. I jut wanted to put this out there for you.

Respectfully,

I have never had that experience with LWRC and I have been pounding their ARs since they were just L-W....read 2006.

In fact, my current M6A3 is the finest AR I have had the pleasure to abuse. No probs, and I get a real person on the phone whenever I call..which is mostly for tech questions other guys ask me.

YMMV

S/F

Stevieterry
02-26-10, 18:58

I am a piston fanatic, and have a lot of experience with CMMG, Adams Arms, PWS, LMT, Ares, and Osprey.

I have handled but not shot LWRC rifles. They appear to be well made. If you are looking for purpose/design built piston AR's you should look at AdamsArms and PWS before buying.

PWS is wholly different than most other designs, and IMHO are one of the best piston AR's on the market. Adams Arms is also fantastic, and the simplicity of their design is unmatched period.

I know this forum has an affiliation with LWRC, but I am going to say this anyway. (I guess since I was banned from ARF.com for talking honestly about a vendor, I will cross my fingers here)

The Guys at PWS are INCREDIBLE. Both from a customer service perspective and service after the sale support. You cannot expect better from a manufacturer. This means that PWS acts like they want your business.

I currently own 5 piston AR's from 3 different manufacturers (LMT, Adams, PWS), and each has their strong and weak points. I can tell you that once you get a piston AR you will enjoy shooting a lot more (not having to worry about a 2 hour cleaning session afterward). Some people will tell you they are less reliable or less accurate than a DI rifle, I have 1000's of rounds through my piston guns and the only stoppages I have experienced are due to sub-par ammunition.

Pile of Pistons:
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o135/jnortham/DSC_2208.jpg

Will you adopt me?
and give me one of your rifles.
dad.;)