PDA

View Full Version : New Oakley SI Tactical FR Glove

Iraq Ninja
02-26-10, 13:35
Gear Scout seems to be the first to break the news about these. Looks like the addressed the weaknesses of the original- lack of FR and finger tip dexterity.

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2010/02/26/new-oakley-si-tactical-fr-glove/

Maybe Stick will chime in and tell us what he thinks...

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/new-oakley-si-tactical-fr-glove/stck0056-800-mt.jpg

Stickman
02-26-10, 14:09
Gear Scout seems to be the first to break the news about these. Looks like the addressed the weaknesses of the original- lack of FR and finger tip dexterity.

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2010/02/26/new-oakley-si-tactical-fr-glove/

Maybe Stick will chime in and tell us what he thinks...

So far so good, I've got a few different guys using them so we should be able to get good feedback. These are guys using them on a daily basis, and starting today, I'm using them as a patrol glove so I give honest comments.

From an initial view point, I like them for the reason I noted in the MT article. I need more time with them to say much more. I'll be shooting in them today.

Iraq Ninja
02-26-10, 14:16
They sound interesting. One problem I had with the original gloves was pressing radio buttons and other finger tasks such as opening a can of red bull...

For anyone who uses a glove outside the confines of a range, there is no such thing as a shooting glove. There are only working gloves that you can shoot with. :)

b6b
02-26-10, 17:02
They sound interesting. One problem I had with the original gloves was pressing radio buttons and other finger tasks such as opening a can of red bull...

For anyone who uses a glove outside the confines of a range, there is no such thing as a shooting glove. There are only working gloves that you can shoot with. :)

Very true, I've tried just about all of them and always end up going back to the Mechanix Original.

Stickman
02-28-10, 01:39

Able to work my radio, load mags, shoot, and open a ziplock sandwich bag wearing the gloves. The ziplock bag was a little more tricky, but still very doable. I was able to reseal the bag as well.

Not able to use my cellphone and dial with the gloves on, but my phone is a piece of garbage with small buttons that I have no love for anyway.

I neglected to open my emergency can of redbull while wearing these. :D

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/new-oakley-si-tactical-fr-glove/stck9779-1024-stick.jpg

03-16-10, 16:47
Just FYI guys.. Browsing the usstandardissue site today I discovered that the SI Tactical FR glove is now for sale. I hope it carries the same sizing as the SI Assault. I just ordered a pair.

a1cobbs
03-22-10, 16:41
021411, Do you have to be Mil or LE to order a pair from usstandardissue?
These look to be very well made gloves.

matt86
03-22-10, 16:54
leo,mil,firefighters,dea,ice,fbi...

03-22-10, 18:16
021411, Do you have to be Mil or LE to order a pair from usstandardissue?
These look to be very well made gloves.

Yep.

Per their website:

Q: Do I qualify for your program?
A: The Oakley Military and Government Sales program is for active duty military, reserve, federal and local law enforcement, fire, EMS and those holding military retiree credentials.

ras61541
03-22-10, 20:40
I just bought a SI Protection Hoodie... my wife would kill me for even looking at these gloves... but they look pretty badass... i would definitely be interested in more comments from stickman on how they work out as patrol gloves...

03-23-10, 08:32
Mine arrive today. I'll give it a whirl tonight on duty and will throw my 2 cents in tomorrow morning.

t1tan
03-23-10, 14:14
I noticed them up on USStandardIssue the other day too, just debating on when I want to order a pair, they look great.

03-23-10, 17:22
Got my gloves in but they are a touch too big. I wear medium in most gloves but usually wear small in Oakley gloves. I like the tighter fit and stretch them out that way.
Well my Tac FR gloves feel a bit too loose in even in small! Looks like I might to stretch out a pair of XS. :p

ETA: You know what the strange thing is? The packaging has the price on it. It says $59 as the MSRP. They are selling the gloves to MIL/LE for $65. :confused: $65 plus tax (if applicable) and shipping.
However it's a misprint though because everything on the site is basically half off. I'm sure it's $130.. just mislabeled.

El Vaquero
03-25-10, 23:32
Are the knuckles carbon fiber just like the assault gloves?

Stickman
03-26-10, 00:34
Are the knuckles carbon fiber just like the assault gloves?

Yes, but they are wrapped over the CF.

Stickman
03-26-10, 01:27
I just bought a SI Protection Hoodie... my wife would kill me for even looking at these gloves... but they look pretty badass... i would definitely be interested in more comments from stickman on how they work out as patrol gloves...

Taking longer than I had wanted to get in a solid review. The medium is too small for one guy, and they aren't fitting into my sap pocket so its hard for me to carry them on patrol. They are in my cruiser, where they still get worn, but not as often. Another guy wasn't able to use them in his specific application.

I like them quite a bit, but I've mostly used them for shooting, driving and clearing buildings at this point. I would like to get more time in with them doing other tasks.

Lawdog-1
03-26-10, 10:02
Stickman, do you know when Okley will come out with the SI Tactical FR in Tan ?