PDA

View Full Version : M&P "caution" mark question--Update

Apollo11
02-26-10, 19:42
I posted this on the M&P forum, but wanted to see what the thoughts here are:

Looked at a LEO package 45 mid size today, it has night sights, and no safties. However there is NO "caution" statement on the slide. The gun is NIB with three mags. I checked, and there is not mag disconnect safety. The slide is clean as a whistle inside. The barrel had much less powder residue inside then the rest of the LE guns, but the breech face on the slide looks virgin.

The gun was tested 1/6/10. Thoughts?

ETA: The SKU is 307707, so it should be a LE, 3 mags, no safeties.

02-26-10, 20:22
Could it have been modified by a previous owner but just never fired? Just taking a stab at it since I have no clue.

Apollo11
02-26-10, 20:28
Thanks for the reply, but I don't think thats the case. Since your post, I edited my OP to say:

ETA: The SKU is 307707, so it should be a LE, 3 mags, no safeties.

The dealer only sells LE guns, and does not do used at all.

Thanks again though.

LtlBear
02-26-10, 20:30
Pardon, my ignorance, but what caution mark are you looking for on the slide?

No mag safety is a good thing IMHO.

Apollo11
02-26-10, 20:34
The caution mark says: "Caution-Capable of firing with magazine removed"

I wanted a gun without the mag dissconnect.

My question is, though; did this gun get skipped in laser engraving? or, due to the breech face looking virgin, was this slide replaced at S&W for some reason?

I know I can get no solid answere here, but the dealer did not know either. I'll call up Smith on Monday, but just wanted to hear some thoughts.

LtlBear
02-26-10, 21:36
Thank you for the clarification.

All I have is an old Sig and a 1911. They believe you should know better back then I guess.

I doubt it missed a process step. I guess Smith can tell you if they put that on LE models or as you suggested, the slide may have been changed.

Apollo11
03-01-10, 13:37
I called S&W today about this and they were really shocked. They looked up the serial # and learned that it is indeed a no mag safety gun, and was shipped out early Jan 2010. The gun has never been back for work, and they show it was tested to provide the spent shell (my question about the virgin slide). Nothing has ever been changed on the gun, all original from the factory. They offered to take it back and laser it for the ELU.

They also said that if it came back for any work it would most likely be engraved once they caught it.

Intresting little story I thought. It looks like this is a rare little mistake by Smith. :o

96 SS
03-01-10, 13:50
Sounds like you need to buy it quickly and never send it in. :)

tactical1
03-01-10, 13:53
Nice snag - let me know if you pick her up and decide to part with it

Ohdoom
03-01-10, 20:32
heck yea. That laser text happens to be the ONLY thing I really dont like about the gun. aside from maybe the stock trigger feel. BUY IT!

markm
03-01-10, 20:40
It looks like this is a rare little mistake by Smith. :o

Sounds like classic smith mediocrity in auto loading pistol building. I'm trying to justify my M&P purchase this year myself.. and every time I jump online I hear more negative incidents on the M&P platform.

Apollo11
03-01-10, 23:12
Not sure how missing the engraving has anything to do with the function of the pistol.

DocGKR
03-01-10, 23:54
S&W needs to stop behaving like Ruger and engraving the insipid safety warnings all over weapons—other manufacturers don’t do it and do not seem to have legal problems...

silentsod
03-02-10, 03:34
Sounds like classic smith mediocrity in auto loading pistol building. I'm trying to justify my M&P purchase this year myself.. and every time I jump online I hear more negative incidents on the M&P platform.

If the text was missing on mine I'd consider it a bonus.

Palmguy
03-02-10, 06:38
If the text was missing on mine I'd consider it a bonus.

You can always get a mag safety model and remove it :)

SWATcop556
03-02-10, 06:46
S&W needs to stop behaving like Ruger and engraving the insipid safety warnings all over weapons—other manufacturers don’t do it and do not seem to have legal problems...

Completely agree. I'm suprised it doesn't have one on the trigger guard that says "Dont fire this weapon unless you've consulted your attorney and considered all legal ramifications. Discharge at your own risk."

cevtv
03-02-10, 07:31

Current examples??

jsbcody
03-02-10, 11:50

I just picked up a LEO M&P40 full size and added an Apex sear to it. I only have 200 practice rounds + 100 duty rounds through it so far ( I have a 500 round no problem rule before a gun goes into my "inventory") and it has been flawless so far.

The M&P40 is THE most comfortable pistol I have ever shot. Let me re-emphasis that again, the M&P40 is THE MOST COMFORTABLE PISTOL I have ever shot. I put most of the above rounds through it in one setting. I know with my Glock, something would have rubbed my hand raw at some point. I like Glocks, I carry a G23 off duty but they do not fit my hand that well. The Apex sear turned an "ok" trigger into a damn good trigger with a very clean break and very short reset. The ergos and the Apex sear trigger also make this one of the most accurate pistols I have ever shot.

As to the OP, there is a possibility that a department ordered the pistol without the engraving and ended up cancelling the order due to budget issues (like my department firearms budget was murdered).

DocGKR
03-02-10, 15:32
"Sounds like classic smith mediocrity in auto loading pistol building. I'm trying to justify my M&P purchase this year myself.. and every time I jump online I hear more negative incidents on the M&P platform."

Our experience has been exactly opposite. The M&P is proving to be one of the most capable systems yet devised. More importantly, as problems crop-up, S&W seems to be aggressively addressing them. In fact, at our recent Armorer's class, the S&W rep asked every participant to write down all issues, flaws, and problems that had been encountered with S&W products--anything that he was unable to answer/correct/repair, he forwarded to the company leadership for review. Each time I am around M&P's, I find more things to admire about the system and new shooters to the pistols always come away happily surprised at how well they perform. We've found that Glocks work best stock, 1911's work best when customized; M&P's work stock, but can also be enhanced like a 1911--sort of the best of both worlds!

DrMark
03-02-10, 16:54

I too remember when weapons were designed by Engineers and not by Lawyers!