PDA

View Full Version : AAR: Vickers Pistolsmith Course Feb/2010 - Omaha

R.E.Schoening
02-26-10, 20:43
Hi all!

I wanted to post an AAR for the Vickers Pistolsmith Course I hosted Feb 15-20, 2010 in Omaha. Here it goes…

Intro:

Goal: Build a functioning, firing Government Model 1911 in 45ACP using an oversized slide and frame, and oversized parts.

Time frame: 6 days.

Instructor: LAV

Students: 4 (2 of the students had performed some 1911 work to include fitting parts and trigger work, the 3rd student was familiar with disassembly and reassembly of 1911’s, and this was my 2nd Pistolsmith Course with Larry)

Parts: A mix of oversized parts from various manufacturers and an oversized Series 70 slide and frame from Caspian.

Tools: Files, emery cloth, and a variable speed Dremel. We also had a drill press, upright sander, parts washer, and air compressor on hand for some of the work.

Overview:

The list below is rather short and to the point as to what we did in class. Lots of little details have been left out of this AAR as there is just not enough time or room in this thread to post all of it. On average we spent 10 hours in class everyday fitting, cleaning, refitting, recleaning, checking and rechecking parts in order to gain the proper fit and function of each individual part…oh and in the end they all had to work together!

All the items listed below were covered in great depth and detail as to how to fit to the platform, why it is “tuned” a specific way and how to check for proper function. Every “task” began with time at the dry erase board, we then moved to the benches for “hands on” time with our own set of tools and parts or to watch Larry work on something. If you did not have a grasp on the task at hand…you could receive some special “tutoring” Larry Vickers style until you wrapped your head around it.

Topics covered:
a. How to fit an oversized slide and frame
b. How to fit a match grade barrel to your slide…
- Fitting the upper lugs
- Cutting lower lugs and fitting the barrel link
- Reaming the chamber
- Cut feed ramp on frame to proper depth and angle
- Cut feedramp on barrel
- Barrel bushings
c. Grip safeties
d. Plunger tubes
e. Fitting ejectors
f. Triggers and proper adjustment
g. Mag releases
h. Grip bushings and grips
i. Extractors
j. Firing pin stop
k. Springs
l. MSH
m. Slide stops
n. Sear, disconnector, hammer and hammer strut
o. S&A magwells
p. Sight installation and sight in
q. Carry bevel treatment
r. Lubrication
s. Routine maintenance
t. Function tests and test firing procedures
u. Peen Down method of slide to frame fit was explained and demonstrated on one of Larry’s 1911’s.
v. Other 1911 specific information discussed in class included:
- Finishes
- Magazine selection
- Mille work and modifications
- Checkering
- Various 1911 parts and tools specific to the 1911 Pistolsmith business.

Summary:

This course introduced and covered in great detail a incredable amount of information on the 1911 platform from original design to modern manufacturing and modifications, all aspects required to build a custom 1911, reliability and accuracy, and finally priceless tips on how to keep the 1911 platform running properly.

Hope this helps,
Rob

R.E.Schoening
02-26-10, 20:46
LWGM in 45ACP, still in the white!
http://www.fototime.com/DCC480D50D4E21A/standard.jpg

SHIVAN
02-26-10, 20:46
Did all guns "pass"??

R.E.Schoening
02-26-10, 20:50
2 of the 4 from class!
http://www.fototime.com/03A08A1E01FC6C3/standard.jpg

R.E.Schoening
02-26-10, 21:35
Did all guns "pass"??

Yes, all of them passed the function test and test fire.

Each of us has some work to do prior to have them wrapped in thier new clothes...I've got to finish knocking the sharp edges off and get a new front sight done...and I had to refit a bent slide stop...new one is in and have another 150 rounds down range without a problem!

- Rob

David Thomas
02-26-10, 23:20
very nice. I assume that is Wilson frame?
aluminum?

Edit: Very nice job!!

R.E.Schoening
02-26-10, 23:31
Thanks David!

Yep, WC aluminum frame with a Capsian slide.

- Rob

NCPatrolAR
02-27-10, 19:42
Everyone from these classes seem to turn out awesome looking guns.

TOrrock
02-27-10, 19:46
Very cool. Must be one hell of a feeling to build your own weapon from scratch.

I took LAV's 1911 Operator's Course, but would love to one day be able to take his smithing course.

shawn c
03-02-10, 19:38
Rob,
Great looking pistol. Can't wait to shoot it... er... I mean see it in May.

R.E.Schoening
03-05-10, 21:15
The bench at the end of one of the days...
http://www.fototime.com/86A6A8955D45232/standard.jpg

Working on the grip safety...
http://www.fototime.com/1824DD26C649652/standard.jpg

Working on the thumb safety...
http://www.fototime.com/1674AB4DB18925B/standard.jpg

My assitant...
http://www.fototime.com/07B629214A712B8/standard.jpg

Ttwwaack
05-03-10, 15:56
This will be brief since Rob has already covered a great portion of it.

Prep: This is a fast paced course. It is not course to decide to attend 6 weeks out as there is alot of stuff to do prior to attending. Parts and tools need to be ordered, and as usual, sometimes vendors are out so alternative vendors need to be sourced. There are specific tools and parts to be ordered for the class. Additionally, both of Kuhnhausen's 1911 books need to have been read, Book I understood and comprehended. The second volume is more of a reference.

This was my first class with Larry. He is experianced as a user, a builder and a teacher from his military background. He is blunt and to the point. As was said in class and so fitting, "It's like drinking from a fire hose for 5 days". Waterboarding appears meek in comparison. When students ran into a problem he wasn't the 'Shell Answer Man'. Instead, he would prod the student along in a manner that they would trouble shoot the part, sub-system and system till they had the answer, like they were alone. It will be valuable in the future.

A Brief Daily Overview:

Monday: Parts Inventory, Fit Slide to Frame, Fit Barrel Hood to Slide

Tuesday: Complete Barrel Fitting and Recoil System, Install Trigger

Wednesday: Reliability Work, Grip and Thumb Safety and Mag Catch

Thursday: Grips, Plunger Tube, Ejector, Extracter, FP and Stop.

Friday: Disco, Sear, Hammer, Sites, Function Tests and Test Fire.

Saturday: Function Tweeks and Class Review.

M-F were basically 10 hour days at the bench. My evening were spent thinking of questions to ask concerning various manufacturers and parts and writing detailed notes of the days activities.

The 'classroom facilities' were great, hard to believe it was a finished garage. I had some apprehesion about working in a garage in February in Omaha but Rob spent the time finishing it with good lighting and insulation. We were very comfortable, even the folks from TX and FL were warm. Good lodging was close by along with the usual eating establishments.

I used this class as my vacation, go figure, Omaha in February. All kidding aside I had a blast. Would I do it again? Yes, I'm planning on attending next year. Greg

Although mine ran OK during the test fire a few problems arose. They were diagnosed (Extractor and overly sensitized Thumb Safety), corrected on Saturday and have 1250 additional rounds without a problem. It is the best running 1911 I own.

R.E.Schoening
05-03-10, 20:38
Greg - Good stuff, thanks for posting!

I wanted to post a pic of the finished product, carbon parts were done in IonBond's DLC...aluminum parts were done in hard anodizing with teflon from Springer Precision!
http://www.fototime.com/B74F8F414016B3F/standard.jpg

David Thomas
05-03-10, 21:40
Greg - Good stuff, thanks for posting!

I wanted to post the finished product, recently back form IonBond...

Wow, that looks like a great blaster!

R.E.Schoening
05-04-10, 08:32
Thanks David!

controlledpairs2
05-17-10, 16:06
wow that sounds like an amazing experience. i hope to attend one someday soon.

tobasco
05-17-10, 16:33
wow. looks very good and hope you had fun

R.E.Schoening
05-17-10, 17:39
Thanks guys...

Ran this one through LAV's Pistol I class last week. Roughly 1,000 rounds over three days with some rain thrown into the class just to remind all of us that we were in Iowa!

I cleaned the pistol after the first day...roughly 300 rounds. Over the next 2 days I did not clean the pistol at all...just added oil.

Overall this one ran great! In the 1,000 plus rounds I fired, I had 5 malfunctions...

The 1st and 2nd malfunctions...I use Wilson Combat 7 round mags with no problems! But, during one of the drills I decided to try some Chip Mcormick 10 rounders...pistol fed the first 2 rounds and then the slide locked open...I examined the slide quickly and threw in one of my Wilsons...no problem for the rest of the drill. It was then time to repeat the drill...tried another (different) Chip 10 rounder...same problem...dumped the 10 rounders for the rest of the class...problem never repeated!

The 3rd, 4th, and 5th malfunctions...during weak hand only drills I shot the pistol empty...dropped the mag...placed the pistol between my knees and loaded another mag with my weak hand...released slide...round partially fed...I slammed the bottom of the mag with my knee and the round fed...this happened three times in a row...on exam I think I was running it a little light on the lube side...I ensured I had the pistol lubed up and had no more malfunctions the remainder of the class.

IonBond held up great and as expected...the anaodizing offered by Springer held up great as well...so far, I would go this route again if I work on another aluminum frame!

Total round count is right around 1600 or so since completion...

- Rob

A couple more pics...
http://www.fototime.com/CA32F9B2793B770/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/AEF95837DB27002/standard.jpg