PDA

View Full Version : Help with trigger install

strongisland
02-27-10, 00:42
After installing a Geissele SSA FCG ordered from Bravo Co. I'm of the impression that I may have a medium to big problem with its function in my Colt LE6920. I am familiar with two stage triggers and figured this trigger would fit the bill perfectly. My initial impression of the FCG was very impressive, solid, clean lines, and robust just as everyone described in their review of the SSA. The install went as smooth as any other FCG I've installed, especially with the provided slave pin.

While performing a function check I noticed the safety could be engaged with the hammer forward. Just so I know I wasn't going crazy I grabbed two of my other carbines, RR, and a Spikes build, charged the weapon, dry fired the gun and as I expected could not engage the safety at this point. I have no clue as to this being normal with a Geissele SSA but I suspect its not. My other issue is the size of the pins that came with the SSA. They appear to be well made but on the small side for my LE6920. As stated earlier the install was smooth, maybe too smooth, but there is noticeable play between the pins and the receiver. If I toggle the trigger between the first and second stage I can see both pins moving about in the holes of the receiver. Is this normal? This movement makes it obvious of another issue I'm having. While taking up the slack in the first stage I can feel a small bump in the trigger travel before it hits stage two. The bump I'm feeling is when the slack in the pins are taken up when they run out of wiggle room. Once past this then the trigger can be pulled to the second stage.

I attempted to use the pins from my Colt FCG but that shit wasn't happening, too big for the Geissele. I swapped-out safeties three times and all were able to be engaged with the hammer forward. The FCG pins aren't loose to the point wheres they would walk out under a light firing schedule but their fit is less that optimal for my 6920.

Fellas, I need you to see me through this one as I have high hopes of keeping the SSA.

Rifleman_04
02-27-10, 00:58
It sounds like your Colt lower must use the larger .170 FCG pins opposed to the standard .154. That is why you are getting the movement and why you are able to move the selector to safe with the hammer forward.
I do not believe they make the SSA with the .170 FCG pins but someone will correct me if Im wrong. So the short answer is no, you wont we able to use that particular 2 stage in your rifle.

1022rimfire
02-27-10, 00:59
Does your 6920 have the large fire control pins? If so, do you have the SSA made for the large pin Colts? Sounds like you might be using undersized pins for your Colt large pin lower...

Jerm
02-27-10, 01:04
I believe they do not make the SSA with that size but someone will correct me if Im wrong.

ADCO has them listed.

Rifleman_04
02-27-10, 01:11
ADCO has them listed.

I stand corrected.

strongisland
02-27-10, 12:39
I really appreciate the quick feedback fellas. Got to it first thing this morning and after measuring both pin sets you were correct in your diagnosis. The Colt pins are .170 vs .154 for the Geissele. The SSA was installed in my Spikes build and feels great, now that its working properly, and the Colt was returned to its original configuration. Will look into to the SSA offered by ADCO with the large pin set for the Colt and hopefully that will workout.

Thanks again,
T