PDA

View Full Version : Another FNG...

AlohaChris
02-27-10, 10:12
Hello M4aphiles,

First time poster, long time lurker. First, I must congratulate you on constructing such an excellent forum. It's been a fantastic resource for educating myself about the AR platform.

I've been engaged in the requisite mental masturbation about which type of AR I want to buy. I've read up, gone to various stores to fondle different models and have the following uses in mind:

1) Home/Self Defense.
2) 3 Gun Matches 4-5 times a year.

I've read here that most any brand-name AR will meet these requirements. I agree, but a wise man once told me that if you buy quality, you only cry once.
I don't intend to depend on the rifle while fighting for my life, but the world doesn't always agree with my plans/good intentions.

I like the Colt 6940, but I don't want "Restricted Military/LE Only" stamped on my rifle. I find it offensive.

I don't want/need a piston gun as I don't intend to use a suppressor.

I have narrowed my choices down to these models:

LMT MRP 16" or the Noveske Light Recce low profile 16"

I can "afford" either model, yet the price difference is significant: the LMT is $1,400, the Noveske $2,100. Both are railed 16" guns with good barrels, so why the $700+ price difference?

I'd appreciate some input on the differences in the two rifles and what I would be buying for the extra $700.

Thank You and Aloha!
Chris

Belmont31R
02-27-10, 11:06
Noveske has built up quite a reputation so they can sell at high prices, and still sell everything they make. I remember when I bought a stripped lower of theirs, and then a couple months later they went up $100 in price for no real reason other than they could.

With that said they do make good barrels, and their free blemished lower deal with any upper is a good deal. You could just buy the upper, and put the lower together yourself. You will save several hundred dollars doing this. Part of that is complete guns get charged a tax while parts do not.

Id also take a look at BCM. Their stainless barreled uppers are very good, and economical for what you get. I also like the better rail selection. I don't care for the rail system Noveske uses.

Also check out the LaRue Stealth uppers. Ive owned 2 now, and they shoot great. Ive got a combined 8k rounds between them (sold one) without a malfunction of any type, and they shoot sub moa with good ammo.

Im not a fan of the MRP simply because I have no desire to switch barrels and/or calibers in a gun although most people who have them seem to like the system a lot.

Also check out the KAC SR15. Its more of a fighting gun than a competition gun but they are a good deal for what you get, and have some nice features not found on any other gun.

Last....you can always pick a parts list, and have someone build you the upper.

C4IGrant
02-27-10, 11:12
Hello M4aphiles,

First time poster, long time lurker. First, I must congratulate you on constructing such an excellent forum. It's been a fantastic resource for educating myself about the AR platform.

I've been engaged in the requisite mental masturbation about which type of AR I want to buy. I've read up, gone to various stores to fondle different models and have the following uses in mind:

1) Home/Self Defense.
2) 3 Gun Matches 4-5 times a year.

I've read here that most any brand-name AR will meet these requirements. I agree, but a wise man once told me that if you buy quality, you only cry once.
I don't intend to depend on the rifle while fighting for my life, but the world doesn't always agree with my plans/good intentions.

I like the Colt 6940, but I don't want "Restricted Military/LE Only" stamped on my rifle. I find it offensive.

I don't want/need a piston gun as I don't intend to use a suppressor.

I have narrowed my choices down to these models:

LMT MRP 16" or the Noveske Light Recce low profile 16"

I can "afford" either model, yet the price difference is significant: the LMT is $1,400, the Noveske $2,100. Both are railed 16" guns with good barrels, so why the $700+ price difference?

I'd appreciate some input on the differences in the two rifles and what I would be buying for the extra $700.

Thank You and Aloha!
Chris

I think it is really hard to go wrong with 16" middy based guns. Noveske and BCM make some of the best. If you want a carbine gas system in 16", then look at DD's Pencil barrels.

C4

djegators
02-27-10, 11:15
Having recently gone through this myself, I have settled on the Noveske Recce low profile. Why? Guess because I prefer the idea of a factory complete rifle right now, and the free stripped lower offsets some of the cost differential. I have owned ARs since the early '90s, but a lot has changed, and I now know a lot more of what I like, and what can be obtained. My decision is that I wanted a top tier rifle, and I wanted the ability to upgrade. You will get that with the Noveske, LMT, BCM as well. I don't think you can go wrong with any of these options. Oh, one thing that steered me away from the LMT, and I could be wrong, but I don't believe they offer a mid length gas system, which I feel is better suited for a 16" barrel than the carbine length. My next AR will likely be a BCM. Thats my two cents.

Marty916
02-27-10, 11:19
Check out Daniel Defense. They make some very good base rifles that satisfy the TDP at a reasonable price.

Colo.TJ
02-27-10, 11:33
I also was looking to get a Noveske. I had pretty much made up my mind. I went "shopping" a couple of weeks ago and was able to hold a Noveske. It was very nice although it was not the model I was looking for and was approx. $500 more than the model I was looking for. It also had a switch block and like you I currently have no interest in a suppressor so this was an unneeded add on. The counter guy then handed me a LMT MRP. I was not looking for an LMT and didn't really research any of their products. I can say that when I held it it felt very good in my hands. The pistol grip, the weight, etc. I then asked to hold the Colt 6940. I was a bit disappointed as the rails were extremely wide. Back to the LMT and Noveske. At nearly $1000 less than the Noveske I couldn't discount the LMT. It just felt so right. So I handed them all back to the counter guy and went home to do some research on the LMT. After many hours searching on opinions and pricing I ended up going back the next morning and purchasing the LMT. Although I havn't shot it yet I'm very happy w/ my purchase. I guess I will find out when I do shoot it if it is truly the rifle for me. I do plan on a Noveske in the future just to own a Noveske. They are the Ferrari of the AR platform and who doesn't want to own a Ferrari? Well after writing all that I really only need to say that you should be good to go (GTG) w/ either rifle. I paid $1500 for the LMT. If you have found it for $1400 I would not hesitate to purchase it if indeed you decide to go w/ the LMT.

ETA: I do believe the LMT is a middy gas system. I'm not 100% but if you look and see the gas block is just forward of the hand rails and the buffer is of the light type.

Thank You and Aloha!
Chris

LMT = Porsche
Noveske = Ferrari
LaRue = Lamborghini

BLK08ROCKERC
02-27-10, 12:03
Check out Daniel Defense. They make some very good base rifles that satisfy the TDP at a reasonable price.

I second that. I love my DD and paid 1300 for it. I think you get the most for your money going with the DD. I think that Noveske makes one heck of a AR, but the price leaves me asking is it really THAT much better? With the money you save you can pay for your optics. Who knows? Good luck and I'm sure you will be happy with any of the guns you listed.

Iraqgunz
02-27-10, 13:00
Daniel Defense is a good choice as would be buying a good lower and adding a BCM midlength to it. You can put together a very nice carbine or rifle from BCM for around 1000.00-1100.00.

theorangecat
02-27-10, 13:18

I picked up a DD M4v3 this morning, and after giving it a very critical examination, I will say that it is as nice an over-the-counter AR as I have ever owned. The mid-length gas system is something I have wanted for a while, and the combination of features did make the carbine quite reasonable in price (especially when compared to the AR situation in February of last year).

TOC

AlohaChris
02-27-10, 13:28
I understand that all AR's are built from parts, and I read "build your own" a lot. How does a 'factory' build differ from a garage build?

I'm quasi-competent (have converted a couple Saiga 12 shotguns) but have never Built an AR. Are there special tools/presses involved? Screwing up a $400 shotgun is one thing. Screwing up a $1000 upper scares me.

Belmont31R
02-27-10, 14:17
I understand that all AR's are built from parts, and I read "build your own" a lot. How does a 'factory' build differ from a garage build?

I'm quasi-competent (have converted a couple Saiga 12 shotguns) but have never Built an AR. Are there special tools/presses involved? Screwing up a $400 shotgun is one thing. Screwing up a $1000 upper scares me.

As long as the parts are of the same quality, and they are assembled correctly its no different.

Where garage builds usually fail is either crappy parts or crappy assembly or both.

Ridge_Runner_5
02-27-10, 16:46
Chris, shouldnt you be to higher ground now? :)

AlohaChris
02-27-10, 17:25
I live on higher ground fortunately. Everyone's real unimpressed with the 3' splash we got :cool: Guy were out surfing during the whole watch period.

Ridge_Runner_5
02-27-10, 18:55
Well glad to hear everyone's okay, then :)

AlohaChris
02-27-10, 19:02
Yeah, we dodged a bullet. I was feeling pretty cool about it until I saw all the Navy ships leaving Pearl Harbor. :confused:

I figured that the Navy has the best physical oceanography data in the world available to them. When I saw them leaving I thought we might be in for it.