PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an inexpensive safe.

tibis3383
02-27-10, 14:45
Hello all. I am looking for a small, inexpensive safe. I don't have the funds for most of the safes that I have found info about on this site (via search function) and just wanted to get some info on the cheaper ones. I am hoping to stay somewhere in the $300-$400 range and be able to keep 5-10 long guns, some ammo and some important documents. I also am not a fan of electronic pads and wanted to stay with a combination style lock. Any and all information would help a lot. Thanks

Semper Fi

Tim

P.S. I didn't know where to post this thread, so if this is the wrong section I apologize.

rjacobs
02-27-10, 16:49
There was a thread on the safe that Lowes carrys, its about 400 bucks usually. I wouldn't say it has any fire rating on it, but it should at least hold what you want to put in it.

kmrtnsn
02-27-10, 16:51
Take a look at Harbor Freight.

ICANHITHIMMAN
02-27-10, 17:22
If you are MIL or LE you can get a sentry safe for 50% off right now.. If not maybe you have a friend you is!

JBecker 72
02-27-10, 18:08
Im also looking for something in the $500 range that does not use a digital lock.

Rescuegunner
02-27-10, 20:47
I was in your shoes around Jan 2009. A few discounts and a $100 gift card got this safe down to within my price range. I'm extremely pleased with it.

http://tinyurl.com/ykhlzhf

It may be just slightly bigger than what you're looking for right now (that's really not a bad thing though) so you may also want to check this one out. It's the same thing only smaller and cheaper.

http://tinyurl.com/ykl837h

Here's a link to the company's website.

http://www.libertysafe.com/

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Outlander Systems
02-27-10, 21:22
Those are some very nice safes for the money (Liberty).

My brother picked one up at Lowes for right around $265 on black Friday.

tibis3383
02-27-10, 21:49
The Liberty safes from Lowes look great. I haven't looked at those before but have seen the $400 special from Costco and it looked decent as well. Thanks for all of the input. I think that I will go check out a couple of Lowes stores tomorrow.

Semper Fi

Tim

Jer
02-28-10, 11:40
If you are MIL or LE you can get a sentry safe for 50% off right now.. If not maybe you have a friend you is!

I wish their website was a little more informative as far as price goes. It would be MUCH easier to find something that I need/want if they listed MSRP on each safe.

For inexpensive I bought a safe at Walmart for $397 that is very useful. Sure there's nicer out there but for locking things up it works great.

ICANHITHIMMAN
02-28-10, 12:22
Call them up they are about 20 min from my house I got mine there before they offred this discount and I paid 545 for a 14 gun fire safe and I had a hook up the deal is better now.

Armati
02-28-10, 14:40
Really, I think you can get by with just about any fairly cheap safe. For your important documents you may want to put them in smaller fire rated Sentry lock box and put that in the safe.

Remember, all locks are simply deterrents. The military stores it's weapons locked in racks inside a vault. You may want to look at this sort of approach.

If you are really concerned about theft make sure you have done the basics that every home owner should do - proper lighting, locks, alarms, ect. Put your safe in a locked closet (use a shackle lock or a deadbolt). Then, lock the racks inside your safe. Think layers of security.

uwe1
03-06-10, 22:23
What do you guys think of this safe from Costco? I am looking to get one, but this electronic lock bugs me.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11498662&search=cannon&Mo=1&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=cannon&Ntt=cannon&No=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

RWK
03-07-10, 19:21
Hello all. I am looking for a small, inexpensive safe. I don't have the funds for most of the safes that I have found info about on this site (via search function) and just wanted to get some info on the cheaper ones. I am hoping to stay somewhere in the $300-$400 range and be able to keep 5-10 long guns, some ammo and some important documents. I also am not a fan of electronic pads and wanted to stay with a combination style lock. Any and all information would help a lot.

What do you expect this safe to protect your guns from? A $300- 500 safe will do fine for keeping the kids out but, that's about it.

Remember, all locks are simply deterrents.

Cheap locks are just deterrents...

mnoe82
03-07-10, 19:30
Call them up they are about 20 min from my house I got mine there before they offred this discount and I paid 545 for a 14 gun fire safe and I had a hook up the deal is better now.

If you're talking about Liberty safes near Knoxville then you're absolutely right. If anybody lives in the southeast and you're looking for a GREAT deal on a safe, their factory is where you want to look. Expect 50 to 75 percent off retail.