PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a Colt 6400

wintermute
02-28-10, 09:50
I want to say thank you to everyone here for all the great information provided on this board that led me down the path of picking up a Colt. I know a lot of people are going to make comments about picking up a "neutered" carbine, but I live in NY, so what can you do.

I've fired ARs before, but I didn't truly gain an appreciation until I stripped this thing. I got it home and within 5 minutes this thing was broken down without any tools. It's amazing how solid this thing is considering al the aluminum and plastic that goes into the thing. This thing is sweet. Thanks to this board, I confirmed alot of the important details before my buy: H buffer, properly staked bolt carrier screws and castle nut, crisp trigger, 1:7" twist barrel. An a nice surprise: an M16 bolt carrier. I understand these are standard on the LE models, but not the Match Target models.

wintermute
02-28-10, 09:58
Oh, I also picked up a pre-ban Orlite 30 round mag. Did I make a mistake with this? They seemed to work a bit smoother than the pre-an GI mags they had.

Eric
02-28-10, 10:07
They usually work, but stick with USGI. Israel dumped the Orlite mags several years back and went to USGI type mags instead. Orlite mags are prone to cracking, primarily around the feed lips and spine.

Safetyhit
02-28-10, 16:03
I have one and like it just about as much as my modified 6920. Great gun.

14point5
02-28-10, 16:20
You are supposed to post a picture in these types of threads.

wintermute
03-01-10, 07:38
Here she is...
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd48/mbohms/IMG_5147.jpg

Sweet M16 bolt carrier goodness...
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd48/mbohms/IMG_5145.jpg

Anyone have idea what this white circle on the bolt is?
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd48/mbohms/IMG_5146.jpg

Frens
03-01-10, 08:38
congrats!!
the 6400 is a really nice carbine.

even MT models come with a FA carrier now :D
my colt also have the same white mark but I dont know its meaning

bigb4015
03-01-10, 11:10
Sweet carbine dude!

2ndAmend22
04-04-10, 19:27
Great gun I am also from NY and just purchased my first AR this week also went with a Colt 6400C. I get it next week and will post pics.

As far as that mark somone told me Colt marks it showing it was tested at manufacturer.

Best of luck

Endless
04-04-10, 19:33
Looks identicle to the Colt 6920.

Great purchase. Now go have fun..

Showbart
04-04-10, 19:40
Looks identicle to the Colt 6920.

Great purchase. Now go have fun..

Yeah, only diff is pinned brake and pinned CAR stock. Looks great! I was looking at one and forgot to check but I'm guessing it has CAR receiver extension. If by law you must have a fixed stock I'd swap out to an A4 extension & internals and run an A1 buttstock. I see alot of guys do it by choice even when not required by law.

wintermute
04-05-10, 07:26
When I get around to it, I plan to swap out that fakey stock with a Sully or an A1. I'm a lanky guy and I thought that the pull length on the pinned stock was going to be short, but it works fine, so I'll most likely go with the Sully with a thicker butt pad.

I took it out to the range on Saturday. For a number of reasons this was my first trip to the range in over 5 years. This thing is a joy to shoot, but according to my buddy who was sitting next to me said it puts out a TON of brake wash. One thing I found out is the front sight is harder to adjust than expected. I was shooting low at 50 yds, and couldn't adjust using the small screwdriver from a SAK to depress the dentent and my fingers to twist the sight post. So a little bit of holdover and I was fine for the day.

.45fmjoe
04-05-10, 16:02
Is it brand new? .154" FCG pins?

Showbart
04-05-10, 16:35
When I get around to it, I plan to swap out that fakey stock with a Sully or an A1. I'm a lanky guy and I thought that the pull length on the pinned stock was going to be short, but it works fine, so I'll most likely go with the Sully with a thicker butt pad.

I took it out to the range on Saturday. For a number of reasons this was my first trip to the range in over 5 years. This thing is a joy to shoot, but according to my buddy who was sitting next to me said it puts out a TON of brake wash. One thing I found out is the front sight is harder to adjust than expected. I was shooting low at 50 yds, and couldn't adjust using the small screwdriver from a SAK to depress the dentent and my fingers to twist the sight post. So a little bit of holdover and I was fine for the day.

All brakes do that. If you have to have a permanently attached muzzle device you can have that one removed and have it replaced, permanently, with a top flash hider like a SEI Vortex or AAC Blackout. You can rig a tool but it's best to get a proper front sight adjustment tool.

wintermute
04-05-10, 16:52
Is it brand new? .154" FCG pins?

No idea on the pins, since I don't have any calipers. I believe it's from a new shipment that the store got (they have more of them in stock), so I'm guessing it has the regular size pins.

All brakes do that. If you have to have a permanently attached muzzle device you can have that one removed and have it replaced, permanently, with a top flash hider like a SEI Vortex or AAC Blackout. You can rig a tool but it's best to get a proper front sight adjustment tool.

no flash hiders in allowed in NYS, plus the barrel isn't threaded, the compensator is slipped over the barrel, then pinned in place.

Showbart
04-05-10, 17:50
no flash hiders in allowed in NYS, plus the barrel isn't threaded, the compensator is slipped over the barrel, then pinned in place.

Jesus H. Christ on a crutch.

CaptainDooley
04-05-10, 18:01
I've got one that will finally be completely de-neutered after I get home tonight. The last thing left to fix was that half-circle bolt carrier since it was made in the early 2000's. The USPS guy dropped off a BCM M16 carrier at work today. I'm still lacking a bayonet lug, but I don't think I'll miss it. It's kinda nice having a Colt carbine that actually says M4 on it and actually has nearly all the features of one.

2ndAmend22
04-05-10, 19:57
Actually got mine today quicker than I thought. I live in lower Westchester NY , Yonkers. I also have a Mossberg 500 in pic below. I learned so much reading these forums before i purchased and this is my first AR i am so excited gonna treat it with lots of care. I also just joined this site because everyone has so much knowledge and great advise.

I was told this is the newer version with the small pins was new in box. I plan on getting handrails, scope etc but will first get to know this rifle as is before doing anything.

Thanks everyone.

2ndAmend22
04-05-10, 20:04
Forgot to mention that is a PRE BAN high cap mag being I live in NY. They are expensive though.

Safetyhit
04-06-10, 09:42
It's kinda nice having a Colt carbine that actually says M4 on it...

What are we referring to here, a 6921 lower?

CaptainDooley
04-06-10, 09:57
No, my 6400 says Match Target M4 Carbine on it as the model.

Not that it matters at all to the function of the rifle, it's just kinda cool. Not even a lot cool, just kinda.

Safetyhit
04-06-10, 10:11
No, my 6400 says Match Target M4 Carbine on it as the model.

Not that it matters at all to the function of the rifle, it's just kinda cool. Not even a lot cool, just kinda.

Very nice. Almost positive mine doesn't say that specifically, but it is a few years old.