PDA

View Full Version : PT92, worth it?

Fortier1796
02-28-10, 12:21
Bout a week or two ago, I got to shoot a good friend's Beretta 92, and found I really, really liked it. I've been thinking about getting one ever since shooting it, and I've known for a while that Taurus offers a licensed produced version that locally retails for about 100-150 less than the Beretta. Does anyone have any experience with the PT92? I've read through other blogs and the internets less than pleasing things about Taurus regarding quality control and customer service. Anyone have any real experience with this as well? TIA.

tracker722
02-28-10, 18:37

sevin8nin
02-28-10, 18:44
I would take a pass on most Taurus made semi-autos. From my limited time spent in a gun shop, i've seen too many quality control issues with their semis to feel confident in them.
That, and I just don't like copies, of anything. If you want what you want, then get the original. Except no substitute.

Robb Jensen
02-28-10, 18:58
Taurus = great for boat anchors for toy boats.

This is based on my experience in shooting since 1975 and owning 2 Taurus guns and shooting at least 40 and being in the gun business and seeing my boss send back 80% of them. He now does not stock Taurus, lifetime warranty is nice but they don't pay shipping to return it to them.

TOrrock
02-28-10, 19:08
Definitely not.

Go up to the search function, type in Taurus.....grab a beverage and read through the various threads on the subject.

zephyr
02-28-10, 21:44
I would stay away. If you need to save some money, looks for a excellent condition used Beretta. There are tons of them out there.

Alpha Sierra
02-28-10, 21:55
Not only would I not buy Taurus semi autos, I would also not waste money on their revolvers.

They are poor imitations of world class American and Italian handguns.

jp0319
02-28-10, 22:26
+1 if you liked the Beretta get a Beretta stay away from Taurus.

citizensoldier16
02-28-10, 22:44
Not only would I not buy Taurus semi autos, I would also not waste money on their revolvers.

They are poor imitations of world class American and Italian handguns.

Not taking a beef, but I've owned a few of their revolvers and found the quality of workmanship to be well worth the price. That being said, when it comes to their semi autos, they always leave something to be desired.

To the OP: I'd save your money and get the Beretta. You won't be disappointed.

chadbag
02-28-10, 23:21
If you want a Beretta, buy the Beretta.

I have a Taurus Raging Bull Revolver in 480 that I quite like but a copy is a copy is a copy.

LHS
03-01-10, 07:38
I considered a PT92 at one point because I prefer the 1911-style safety. Then I handled one. It felt like a Beretta that had been made and assembled by a retarded monkey. Sharp edges, loose fit, gritty trigger.

If you want a Beretta (and who doesn't?) get a real Beretta. Look around for one of the old Elite or Elite II models, they were IMHO the best of the breed.

Fortier1796
03-01-10, 10:23
That didn't take long! Thanks for all the input, looks like I'll spend the extra bill or two and get the better product.

Spiffums
03-01-10, 10:35
If you want a good PT92 or PT99 (adjustable sights)........ look for a good used one. Early 90s production without the Decocker. These are the only Taurus guns worth buying.

I only have one because I was young and didn't have the extra $150 for the Beretta. Mine is a shooter and good gun for what it was intended for.

Redhat
03-01-10, 15:52
I had a PT 92 back in the '90s, I couldn't afford the Beretta then. It had the spring loaded decocker and shot fine, but it was never more than a range gun.

I no longer have it, but then again, I don't have a Beretta either.

Donbeeler49
03-02-10, 15:53
I have a Beretta 92FS and the wife has a Beretta 90-two. We like 'em a lot and have had 0 problems. We hit the range once a week with our handguns and the Beretta's always make the trip, along with a different type gun so they don't feel lonely.:)