PDA

View Full Version : which flattop upper to color match to Eagle Arms pre-ban lower?

uranus
04-14-07, 19:38
Hi Friends:

I purchased a pre-ban Eagle Arms lower and need a flat-top M4 upper. The Eagle Arms is more gray than black in color. It is slightly darker, if darker at all, than the finish on my Colt SP1 carbine (1984-85 vintage).

I have an LMT upper and a CMT upper, but they are much more black that the Eagle Arms lower.

Does anyone know of an upper that would provide a better color match? There are a couple of pricey Colt uppers for sale online, but it is difficult to determine their color.

AMMOTECH
04-16-07, 09:54
If it's a shooter/work gun then I would worry more if they will run well as a mixed set Vs. how well the colors match.

Safe queen-- maybe you can get the lower refinished to match the upper or send them both off to be refinished.

uranus
04-16-07, 14:54
The only reason that I gave the color any thought was the possibility of needing to sell the rifle someday and not wanting to part it out.

I would certainly inform any potential buyer that it is a non-factory build, not that it wouldn't be obvious. I live in an AWB state, and pre-bans are pricey and scarce (the lower was originally from a factory complete rifle), so it seemed to make sense to try to match the upper and lower color if it didn't require too much effort and expense.

This rifle won't be a safe queen. I have one of those (an SP1 carbine), and I am not ashamed to admit it! :D

SHIVAN
04-16-07, 18:19
Colt Gray would be close, but likely still off....

M193 BALL
04-19-07, 14:04
Colt Gray would be close, but likely still off....

AGREED.

Buy a upper from a used colt

I wish LMT did the grey ANO

My Defender 2000 is the same as my Bushmaster as far as color

TOCH UP
according to my OLD COLT 1980 Repair Manual
US Specs TT-L-19538
Color 37038
Lacquer

I wouldnt myself

could allways send it in to get a CAMO JOB :D

uranus
04-25-07, 01:11
Buy a upper from a used colt
:D

I have tried, but it is not easy. It's going to be a mixmaster, as are three of my four AR's.

I am just putting together my component list. I'm having trouble picking a barrel, since BCM isn't making the 16 inch mid-length, which I have on another carbine. I also have a 16 inch WOA medium contour stainless steel barrel on another carbine, but I want another gov't profie, chrome-moly mid-length for this build. Sabre's are available, but they are up there in cost, and I don't know if it is worth the extra money, since Wilson and Shaw's are much less expensive. I usually think that one gets what one pays for, but that is not always the truth. I believe that Sabre makes a great product, but is it worth more than $150.00 more than BCM barrels when they were available? I thought about a CMMG barrel but have read some mixed reviews.

Therefore, I am starting backwards, probably buying the barrel last. I'm building an Eagle Arms lower. I will put a CTR stock on it. Otherwise, the lower is assembled, and has a MIAD grip. I am planning to use an Aimpoint on a LaRue mount on this carbine, so I will want a standard front sight on the barrel. I'll use a LaRue rear BUIS. I'll probably also use LaRue handguards. For the upper receiver, I'll probably use a LaRue or VLTOR, unless there are some compatibility issues with the VLTOR upper and the LaRue rails. That just leaves the barrel. I want a 16 inch, gov't profile, 4150 chrome-moly, CL, mid-length barrel. I'll put a Vortex on the front, slap in Grant's FN-contracted FA BCG and the charging handle, and I'll be off to shoot (after all function and safety checks, of course).

I would be grateful for any suggestions.