PDA

View Full Version : Various Wrench Questions

Outlander Systems
02-28-10, 19:01
What size wrench would you guys recommend dedicated for muzzle devices? I would like to buy *a* wrench, and leave it aside for FH/Comps/Brakes/etc. only.

My previous adventures were always successful; however, every time I've swapped out a FH, either the FH or the barrel gets ate the f*#^ up.

Tips? Tricks?

Marty916
02-28-10, 19:06
Pick yourself up one of the AR armorers wrenches like this:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=24190/Product/AR_15_M16_AR_STYLE__308_ARMORERS_WRENCH

There are a bunch of them available from different sources/manufacturers.

Belmont31R
02-28-10, 19:08
I use a Craftsman 3/4" open ended wrench. I have a DPMS armorers tool, and the cutout for the FH is too wide, and mars the crush washer and FH.

You can also put a piece of thin tape on the wrench to help protect the metal surfaces. If you get any marring a q tip with some Birchwood Casey Super Blue is great for touching it up, and blends with the finish well. Just wipe it off with an oily rag afterwards as the blueing compound can cause rust if not removed. FWIW the blueing also works good to hide the big BCM logo on their BCG's.

Robb Jensen
02-28-10, 19:08
I have a whole set of Craftsman tappet wrenches that I use for flash hiders. I like these because they are very thin and don't scratch crush washer and fit the small wrench flats on most muzzle devices perfectly.

Outlander Systems
02-28-10, 19:49
Thanks for all the practical advice. My last attempt involved an adjustable wrench and a rag as a buffer. The wrench cut through the rag, and still marred up my metal.

I was curious if there was a specific size that will work on most FH's.

I have a whole set of Craftsman tappet wrenches that I use for flash hiders. I like these because they are very thin and don't scratch crush washer and fit the small wrench flats on most muzzle devices perfectly.

I saw this in the "Tools" thread. The narrow nature looks to be very helpful for the reasons you've mentioned.

Which size do you use the most? Should I go for the whole set? I'd rather buy individual stuff, but if that's my only option...

Anyone here want to recommend a good torque wrench?

seb5
02-28-10, 21:17
I use a Craftsman 3/4" open ended wrench. I have a DPMS armorers tool, and the cutout for the FH is too wide, and mars the crush washer and FH.

+1 that's how I roll.

mpom
03-02-10, 18:47
Just an amateur, but I placed the appropriate sized "feeler gauge" leaf between the wrench (3/4") and flat, to take all the play out so you end up with max contact rather than contact on corners, leading to marred metal.
Got lots of feeler gauges from days when autos had points and adjustable valves.
Can still be found in auto parts stores.

Mark