PDA

View Full Version : What tactical gear are you guys using?

alfred10
02-28-10, 20:59
What vests, holsters etc are you guys using and why? I noticed most dont even wear canteens anymore. I like them b.c they will work if you get a hole in your cammelback. I want to buy one full set of gear to train in. Prefer it to match USMC digital woodland. Im thinking I can blend old woodland and multicam. I am asking because I noticed that very few people attach their web belt to their harness. Not sure if I want a plate carrier since I prob wouldnt be able to wear plates in a SHTF situation with a loaded cfp 90. What do you guys use when you shoot prone?

Will any USGI issue pack be stronger than the steel framed CFP90?

premdmatt
02-28-10, 21:06
I suggest thinking about what your "mission" really is. If it is training, you shouldnt really need more than a chest rig, I have a Mayflower, and a holster, either drop-leg, offset, or belt mounted. A camelback is a nice investment and now they can be had a most surplus stores for about 15 dollars. Past that, I am not really sure what you might need, as most gear "requirements" are very particular to the person.

Iraq Ninja
03-01-10, 05:34
Will any USGI issue pack be stronger than the steel framed CFP90?

Steel framed? Mine had aluminum. Maybe you are confused? Anyhow, most soldiers will tell you that the Cheap Friggen Pack 90 is a turd. Buckles break, seems pop, and the plastic yoke piece that joins the shoulder straps to the pack breaks.

I would never trust the CFP90 for any use other than as a garbage can liner.

Two companies for you to google- Mystery Ranch and Kifaru.

You can wear packs with armor.

I have no problem shooting prone with chest rigs, tactical vests, etc. It may not be the most ergonomic prone, but it can be done.

I still use canteens for some things back home, but only the Brit issued ones. I prefer the larger mouth on theirs compared to our government issued canteens.

My "cammelback [sic]" is between my legs :)

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/Iraqninja/Iraq%20PSD/lindsey-of-arabia2.jpg

Citpitch02
03-01-10, 06:44
Picture of the Day right there my friend!:cool:

JonnyVain
03-01-10, 11:43
Steel framed? Mine had aluminum. Maybe you are confused? Anyhow, most soldiers will tell you that the Cheap Friggen Pack 90 is a turd. Buckles break, seems pop, and the plastic yoke piece that joins the shoulder straps to the pack breaks.

I would never trust the CFP90 for any use other than as a garbage can liner.

Two companies for you to google- Mystery Ranch and Kifaru.

You can wear packs with armor.

I have no problem shooting prone with chest rigs, tactical vests, etc. It may not be the most ergonomic prone, but it can be done.

I still use canteens for some things back home, but only the Brit issued ones. I prefer the larger mouth on theirs compared to our government issued canteens.

My "cammelback [sic]" is between my legs :)

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/Iraqninja/Iraq%20PSD/lindsey-of-arabia2.jpg

You, sir, are a bad ass. That's BA for short.

I have a vintage ammo belt with Voodoo tactical mag pouches, Boonie Packer Quick Adjust 2-pt sling, and a pair each of Vertx and Tru-spec pants.

My main rifle use is range toy and home defense, with a planning for the .00001% possibility of shtf.

alfred10
03-01-10, 13:48
Whats the strongest USGI pack ever made that also holds a sleeping bag? I head the CFP was stronger than other US packs. Will a plate carrier be as hard to shoot with as that Eagle Industries 8 AK chest rig that I was looking at?

Iraq Ninja
03-01-10, 14:58
Alfred,

You may want to look at the USMC issued packs like this one (modern version of CFP):

http://cgi.ebay.com/USMC-US-MARINE-ILBE-DIGITAL-MARPAT-MAIN-PACK-ARCTERYX_W0QQitemZ290406909731QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item439d99c723

Or the smaller version.

http://cgi.ebay.com/USMC-Marine-Digital-MARPAT-ILBE-Assault-Back-Pack-VG_W0QQitemZ270536698369QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3efd3e6a01

In regards to getting into prone with that gear, it depends on your physical condition and shooting skills. There are different ways to go prone, and some of them work better with gear.

It sounds like you have lots of questions and little experience. Maybe visit a tactical store or gun show in your area and try the stuff out.

Cerberus
03-01-10, 17:01
I'm currently in a semi-throwback mood in regard to gear. I'm one of the weirdos that find the USGI MOLLE vest to be comfortable, If I could find one in something along the lines of coyote or maybe even woodland I would snag one if the price was right. I also like the ALICE gear and can work easily around it's shortcomings. It's quite comfortable if set up correctly. Like I said in another post I switched to the old school, uncool tan leather M7 holster while in Iraq and don't see myself returning to another platform for the time being. I'll keep using my large ALICE pack until something other than UCP patterned current issue MOLLE rucks find there way into clothing sales system. I am also getting to the point where camelbaks are becoming a PITA. Canteens rule, and are far more practical in many ways.

ARJJ
03-01-10, 18:26
I suggest thinking about what your "mission" really is. If it is training, you shouldnt really need more than a chest rig, I have a Mayflower, and a holster, either drop-leg, offset, or belt mounted. A camelback is a nice investment and now they can be had a most surplus stores for about 15 dollars. Past that, I am not really sure what you might need, as most gear "requirements" are very particular to the person.

I agree. Your equipment is going to vary according to your mission--whatever that might be.

And alfred10, I too suffer from the "I don't trust a Camelbak" syndrome, although I think I'm starting to realize that the Camelbak is much more versatile (as part of a load-bearing/fighting system) than old-school canteens. Nevertheless, a canteen or Nalgene can be complimentary to the Camelbak.

BTW, I sent you a PM.

ca_fireman19
03-18-10, 02:57
My primary LBE is an Eagle Industries Rhodesian Recon chest rig...this accepts both A.L.I.C.E. and MOLLE, will accept a front SAPI plate, very flexible. As silly as this may sound, I use a double shingle/kangaroo pouch on my chest as a holster. Bother my Kimber .45 and my Beretta 96 fit in the pouch and I use the bungies (which I loosend a bit) as retention on the hammer and the grip...and since they are kangaroo pouches, there are also 2 places for spare mags.