PDA

View Full Version : Some Surefire upgrade questions

John_Wayne777
04-14-07, 20:40
I have been using Surefire lights for quite some time now, with great results.

My two main lights are an old 6Z combat light, and a G2Z combat light.

I know that in recent months companies have been making some upgrades for these lights, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with either the Multi-purpose tailcaps (tailcaps that strobe, or that vary light output) or the LED replacement lamp elements that I have heard some talking about.

If you have them, how do you like them? Have they proven to be reliable and durable?

nickdrak
04-21-07, 13:10
I ordered a few of the CREE LED "drop-in" replacement lamps from a couple of different sources. I ordered two of them from a seller from China off of ebay (AllTeamGo) for $19.00 each ($46.00 shipped to the US for both lamps). I installed one of them in my 12 year old trusty 6p. I also ordered a Surefire Z49 tailcap, and an after-market bezel from G&P products which is similar to the newer 6P bezels. The addition of the Cree lamp and the other parts breathed new life into the old 6P. Aside from being brighter then the stock P60 lamp, you get much better shock resistance with the CREE LED. I believe many other have claimed a great improvement in run times as well, but I cannot confirm this yet. Here are some before & after pics of the 6P transformation:

BEFORE:
http://i12.tinypic.com/309k5zo.jpg

AFTER:
http://i19.tinypic.com/35jhvtj.jpg

After a while, I got the bug to build a 9 volt LED handheld light up from seperate parts. I stumbled upon LightHound.com who offers alot of after-market and replacement parts for lights. I ordered a "LEEF" 9 volt (3xCR123 baterry) HA grey body, along with one of the CREE LED "Drop-in" lamps they are also selling. *The CREE lamps are rated from 3 to 9 volts. I had a bezel from a Surefire M2 centurion and a matching HA grey Z48 tailcap that I used to build up this light.

I decided to test out the run-time on this one over the past few days while catching up with the Sopranos. I ran the light for 30 minutes, and then I would turn it off to let it cool for 15 minutes, and then continue this until the batteries gave out. I was using three fresh "TITANIUM" CR123A lithium batteries from AmondoTech.com ($1.00 each!) for this test. The light ran for 3 full hours without any loss of output. At about the 3 hour, 5-10 minute mark, it started to flicker a bit, and then lost about 25-50% of its output. it then ran for about another hour and 1/2 while gradually loosing output. Here are some pics of the 9 Volt CREE light that I built up next to my Surefire U2 for size comparison:

http://i17.tinypic.com/49g47pe.jpg
http://i11.tinypic.com/351iolz.jpg

*FYI: TO ME it appears that the CREE LED lamps I received from "AllTeamGo" ($19.00) are identical to the CREE lamp I received from LightHound for $39.00

I cannot confirm this, but from appearances they are indistinguishable except for a sticker on the LH lamp.

*Additionally, I have read on other forums where guys have used the drop-in CREE lamps in their G2 Nitrolon (Synthetic/Plastic)lights. Although it will function (ON/OFF) just fine, my concern is that since there is NO aluminum bezel to dump off the heat build up of the lamp, that it may over time degrade the over-all performance of the CREE LED greatly. This is all based on theory, but I believe it to be a theory based in fact & reasonable research. On the same note, the M2 bezel seemed to handle the heat dumping responsibilites well. After each 30 minute ON session, the light was "warm to the touch", but not "Hot" by any means.

John_Wayne777
05-03-07, 18:23
Thanks for the detailed reply.

I have been digesting the info and making some purchases...I have a drop-in Cree unit on the way to try out in my 6Z....:)

SuicideHz
06-03-07, 19:09
How'd that Cree turn out? I've got the $12.50 CREE 3w coming to try in my G2. If it's nice I plan on buying a 6P or building a light to host it.

SuicideHz
06-05-07, 22:56
ok. got the CREE today. For anyone that's used an X200A by surefire, the CREE is just as bright if not brighter. I have four batteries right now

2 have been in the surefire and 2 in the G2. The CREE in the G2 was much brighter 'til i switched the batteries.

then they were the same in each light.

so- the life in the better pair in the SF equals the performance of the weaker ones in the CREE in the G2!

John_Wayne777
06-11-07, 10:39
How'd that Cree turn out? I've got the $12.50 CREE 3w coming to try in my G2. If it's nice I plan on buying a 6P or building a light to host it.

Mine are doing pretty good thusfar.

On the surface they seem to be about as good as the stock SF units for reliability, and they are a bit brighter than the SF units, although they have a tighter hotspot than the SF lamp elements do....which isn't a bad thing, in my opinion....