PDA

View Full Version : MO - Armed homeowner defends family.

Irish
03-01-10, 12:08
http://www.examiner.com/x-18149-SelfDefense-Examiner~y2010m2d27-Armed-homeowner-sends-intruder-fleeing

A Johnson County, Missouri homeowner reportedly used his handgun to protect himself and his wife from a home invader.

Police say that the the man and his wife were in their home at about 10 AM when they heard a noise outside. Knowing that there had been a recent burglary next door, the homeowner reportedly grabbed his handgun, and went downstairs, where he found a burglar attempting to jimmy open the back door. The homeowner is said to have displayed his handgun and issued a verbal warning, which reportedly sent the intruder fleeing. The homeowner is said to have fired a few "warning shots" at the burglar's pickup truck as he fled, and police say that the truck had been reported stolen. The home invader escaped, and police reportedly say that the homeowner will not face any charges.

Those who are unarmed, or who are armed with an inferior weapon, will often end up overpowered by the criminal, with dire consequences. Nor can a citizen rely upon the police for protection, as they are minutes away while it takes a criminal who is breaking in just seconds to get to their victim. It is also important to note that the police will sometimes fail to help even when asked repeatedly, and they are not legally liable for that failure. Adding to the problem, police are 5.5 times more likely than an armed citizen to shoot the wrong person, meaning that there is a certain degree of danger anytime there are armed police coming to the aid of a citizen.

Fortunately, this home owner was prepared to defend himself and his wife, and as a result they both survived this home invasion attempt unharmed.
In my opinion he should've called the police immediately following the burglar fleeing the scene. The desired result, the burglar leaving, was achieved without having to fire a shot yet he persisted in firing rounds down range at a retreating vehicle. While I understand the desire to do so, it's definitely not a good plan of action, he'd have been better off shooting him while he's breaking into the house.

GermanSynergy
03-01-10, 12:44
I'm pretty sure had he done that here in Maryland the homeowner would have been arrested. Not sure about MO though.