PDA

View Full Version : My son had a happy day! Wins MP-15-22 at raffle.

larry0071
03-01-10, 14:22
So a couple months ago me and my son were at the local sportsmans club and they had some tear-off strip tickets for a gun raffle, we saw the rifle on the wall and it was the Smith&Wesson MP 15-22 (Unthreaded). So we purchased 4 of the $5.00 strip tickets and I kind of forgot about it. My son had not forgotten! He had the tickets (unopened) in his wallet for about 3 months now, and yesterday he asked me what time we were going to the Sportsmans Club.... I had no clue why we should go there. He pulls out the tickets and tells me it is because we need to go and pick up his new AR....LOL! The raffle was to be decided from the 7PM PA lottery, so we got there about 6:30 PM. My one pal was there with 3 of his kids running around and waiting for the drawing to be completed and we were joking about who was going to take this new S&W MP 15-22 home with them. A few other dads got involved.... but I kept telling them.... Me and my son are taking this thing home!

About 5 to 7 me and my son started a game of pool and kind of forgot the lottery for the moment until Joel came back to tell me that we really shoulg open our tickets because no one that is there tonight has claimed the winning ticket. Not that many were there, maybe 30 folks... so the odds of us having the ticket were slim. Me and my son stopped playing pool and went to the bar to open our tickets in front of the guy that was putting the rifle up for raffle and my son ripped his first ticket. Nothing. I could see in his face that he was very much excited and just as much disapointed. He ripped the 5 tabs on the second ticket, nothing. I saw the light fading from his eyes... he was giving up inside, he must have been trying to preserve his emotions and not allow himself to keep up hope. Then he ripped the very top strip on the that third ticket and looked up like he just saw a ghost and said "Hey Dad, what was that number again?". I told him the PA lotto number and he looked down and then back up with what looked almost like fear...? He said to me..."Can you repeat that number one more time?". I did. His face lit up like a 1,000,000 watt light bulb plugged into a nuclear reactor! I had to grab the ticket out of his hands because he could not talk to me at this point...LOL! I looked and sure enough...Yep! He won!

So there you have it, I was going to buy two of these from Grant, but now Grant only gets to sale me one! I could not believe it, I was so happy for him, and he is excited as all get out! He just got home from school and wants to take it over to my brother in laws to shoot it.... so I expect I'll get a call back later saying how great it worked.

I did drag a bore snake down the barrel 3 times and toss a heavy measure of FP-10 CLP into the upper/bolt and pulled/released the charging handle 50 times. I hope it's clean and lubed enough to rock on!

Last night in his bedroom posing with his new prized posession!
http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp174/larry0071/Family/IMAG0434.jpg

woody d
03-01-10, 14:28
good for him:D sometimes lady luck comes through for ya

JonnyVain
03-01-10, 14:34
Congrats. And tell him to keep up the good trigger discipline.

larry0071
03-01-10, 14:37
I'm thinking of surprising him after I see his report card with a RDS for it, that would make it ubber cool! Maybe a new Magpul AFG too!

kwelz
03-01-10, 15:43
Teach that boy to square up on that rifle. Have you no shame man!
;)

Seriously congrats to your boy.

larry0071
03-01-10, 15:48
LOL... Honestly, The_Katar just instructed me proper technique such as "squaring up" a month ago, and we have not been shooting since that day. This spring I'll work at teaching him what I have learned from some of the guys here. I'm trying to get him to be able to go to one of these group studies at some point since he is my shooting partner.

Volucris
03-01-10, 16:26
Fun rifles. You'll have to experiment with loading the magazines. If you don't get it just right they hang up a lot. Pretty easy once you jump that hurdle.

FlyAndFight
03-01-10, 16:26
Great story! Congrats to you and your son!

I'll most probably be picking up this rifle for my son next month.

Buckaroo
03-01-10, 19:14
I'm jealous of a 12 year old? Damn that hurts!

Good you him (and you dad)!!!

Buckaroo

SeriousStudent
03-01-10, 21:48
Congrats to you and your young man. May the rifle bring you both many years of enjoyment.

That's a great milestone in a young person's life, their first rifle. :)