PDA

View Full Version : Bill Springfield Trigger

Evil Colt 6920
03-01-10, 16:10
:eek:I just got my trigger from Bill Springfield and HOLY CRAP!!!!! This thing ROCKS!!! Its better than what I was expecting. No creep and breaks like glass! I seriously doubt a single stage could feel much better, and if it did, no way would it be worth the price difference compared to Bill's work. I opted to not send my trigger in and buy one he had in stock, so for $100, I got a badass trigger and can keep my old FCG as spare parts.:D So if your in the market for a trigger, you gotta keep Bill in mind as a great option. Sorry for sounding like a Bill Springfield advertisement:p Just thought Id share this since its prolly the best $100 Ive spent on my AR so far.

javentre
03-01-10, 16:17
I had him do 3 sets of AR triggers, I'm a happy customer.

Shotdown
03-01-10, 18:12
Got mine done too. I opted for the 4lb since the 3lb was way to
light for me.

14point5
03-01-10, 18:29
I've had Bill Springfield do several of them for me (all 4lb, the basic job) and I am very pleased with them.

gamo
03-01-10, 19:32
I got mine the other day too, this really makes me want to install it though :p

Evil Colt 6920
03-01-10, 21:06
I got mine the other day too, this really makes me want to install it though :p

You havent installed it yet? Why not? Git R Done already youll love it:D

kombos
03-01-10, 23:13
He did a nice job on my 15-22......pleased with the 4lb.

K9222
03-02-10, 02:13
Where an I get mine?

uspopo
03-02-10, 03:19
Every one of my FCGs has Bill's 4lb. with speed hammer mod and I couldn't be happier.

www.triggerwork.net

ColdDeadHands
03-02-10, 06:22
I love my Bill Springfield trigger...I have the 4 lbs

danish
03-02-10, 07:03
I love my two-stage at three lbs. I had done. I'm sending out a single-stage for a four lb. job...can't wait!!

chadbag
03-02-10, 16:34
I got back 4 triggers from him yesterday. Installed 2 of them and have dry fired them. Very nice.

All std 4 lb and speed hammer mod.

GTG in my book

Eric
03-02-10, 18:32
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=36907&highlight=bill+springfield+trigger

gamo
05-04-10, 00:41
You havent installed it yet? Why not? Git R Done already youll love it:D

Done and WOW, NO creep and break is at exactly 4lbs. Don't mind it at all

rob_s
05-04-10, 06:17
I won't recommend them to anyone. I see no appreciable value or benefit to the trigger job, and in my case and MANY others the work he did resulted in doubling.

Mine went in the gun, and immediately after doubling went in the trash.

El Mac
05-04-10, 07:30
I won't recommend them to anyone. I see no appreciable value or benefit to the trigger job, and in my case and MANY others the work he did resulted in doubling.

Mine went in the gun, and immediately after doubling went in the trash.

Fair enough, but Bill stands by his work. If there was a problem, he would have replaced it or in your case since you didn't want it - refunded your cake.

I've seen a lot of trigger work on ARs, FNs, 1911s and Glunks... they don't always come out right. The good 'smiffs stand by their junk and Bill is one of them.

rob_s
05-04-10, 07:36
It frankly wasn't worth the trouble. "Call him, he'll tell you how to fix it" etc. wasn't something I was remotely interested in doing over a $30 service. Easier, and better, to simply learn to shoot and toss the mistake in the trash.

IMHO the VAST majority of shooters that go this route get more out of an equal amount of cash spent on ammo than on modifying the stock trigger to questionable results.

highxj
05-04-10, 10:51
Easier, and better, to simply learn to shoot and toss the mistake in the trash.

Come on Rob, that's a little harsh. Are you suggesting Jerry Miculek doesn't know how to shoot because he doesn't use a stock GI trigger? That's a little ridiculous. I can certainly shoot a stock trigger just fine, but like anyone I'm going to be a little faster with a lighter trigger with shorter reset. Concerning Springfield's work I'm not sure I'd trust it in a serious weapon (serious can also mean one used in matches), but I'd certainly trust something like a Wilson or American Gold. I just get the impession that anything not 'mil-spec' is frowned upon here.

I have a trigger set done by Springfield and while it feels OK the actual work on the engagement surfaces is not very cleanly done and the actual contact area is quite small, so it is currently sitting in my drawer...

Avenger29
05-04-10, 11:23
anything not 'mil-spec' is frowned upon here.

Not quite. Anything not utterly reliable, however, is rather frowned upon here, and for good reason. Sketchy triggers definitely fall into the category of "not reliable enough to put on my gun". Much of the membership of M4carbine.net is willing to seek out the finer products out there vs. taking the chance on the cheaper solutions.

Mr. Springfield's trigger work has a place, I'm sure, just not on my gun or on Rob's gun.

The "learn to shoot" on Rob's comment is more than likely meant as "learn to shoot the stock trigger", not "learn to shoot" period. Don't go looking for stupid arguments for the sake of it.

theJanitor
05-04-10, 11:24
highxj, how did you get that out of rob's post? he said his failed, and he discarded it, and he felt it wasn't worth the cost. he said he valued practice over parts replacement.

you said you're not sure you would trust one in a serious weapon. you said you got one in your drawer.

i did not read anything implying the skill of others. step back, re-think what you're assuming, re-read what you're saying.

eta: i have a springfield trigger in one of my ar's. i have yet to develop an opinion of it yet

Jitterbug
05-04-10, 19:22
Had him do a 3 pound job, it started to double on re-set after about 300 rounds, he fixed it, and it's been GTG for the last 300. Fingers crossed.

Very clean break.

highxj
05-04-10, 22:57
Not quite. Anything not utterly reliable, however, is rather frowned upon here, and for good reason. Sketchy triggers definitely fall into the category of "not reliable enough to put on my gun". Much of the membership of M4carbine.net is willing to seek out the finer products out there vs. taking the chance on the cheaper solutions.

Mr. Springfield's trigger work has a place, I'm sure, just not on my gun or on Rob's gun.

The "learn to shoot" on Rob's comment is more than likely meant as "learn to shoot the stock trigger", not "learn to shoot" period. Don't go looking for stupid arguments for the sake of it.

Oh boy, this is what I get for trying to compose a post while rushing out the door to work. Let's back up a little. Avenger29 and theJanitor, I can see that what I stated might be construed as argumentative but it surely wasn't intended as such. I did go back and read my post as well as Rob's.

His comment about 'learning to shoot' was taken by me to imply that if you can't deal with the GI trigger you need more training, and that no other trigger is desirable or needed. I may have taken some creative liberties in assuming that's what he meant. But I have read comments by others here that imply that nothing but a GI trigger is trustworthy and surely will fail. I just can't buy that. Or the idea that a lousy trigger should be 'learned' first by an inexperienced shooter.

It's sort of like the optics vs. iron argument I saw Rob and others discussing. I personally feel that a really bad trigger will hinder really excellent shooting for the seasoned shooter as well as the beginner. My Colt had a trigger that broke at just under 8 pounds, with considerable and inconsistent roughness. I had been accustomed to shooting very light triggers on my competition handguns and this just seemed ridiculous to have to fight it, so in went an aftermarket trigger. I consider myself to be a respectable shot with any sort of trigger, but a good trigger break sure is easier to master and is more conducive to accurate shot delivery.

Sorry about the off topic and to bring it back in line, I bought a trigger group from Springfield a couple months ago and installed it in one of my AR's. It had an unusual trait, and I posted here asking about it. Upon releasing the trigger and dropping the hammer down from the disconnector to the full cock notch, the face of the hammer rotated up over a quarter inch. I mean it really smacked the sear notch *hard* when you released the trigger. It bothered me. That, along with the unimpressive looking work on the engagement surfaces showing very little bearing surface, led me to simply remove it without actually ever firing a shot with it. The stories I have read by Rob and others of doubling have convinced me that it was not something I wanted in my rifle, period. Only top of the line trigger groups for me from now on.

Again, sorry if I ruffled any feathers...

Larry in SD
05-05-10, 14:34
Hi guys, new guy here.

I have been reading this post with interest. No I do not have a trigger reworked by Bill Springfield so can not comment on his work.

For the record I use my AR's for Hunting but also for work also when the need arrises. I have a Bushmaster 16" M4 ORC and a DPMS Panther Bull 20. Both have JP Enterprises Adjustable Triggers, Speed Hammers and Springs in them. So far I have had zero issues of any kind with either AR.

There is a better way of eliminating the Pre-Travel, and limiting Engagement on an AR Trigger that grinding or filing away metal. I have found a much better method is to every so slightly polish away the tool marks on the trigger and hammer engagement surfaces. Now I am talking about a very light polishing checking often with a magnifyer and stopping when the tool marks are gone.

This does a lot to make for a smoother trigger pull. The next step makes a world of difference in the overall feel of the trigger. With the Grip and Grip Screw removed, I use a 1/4" x 28 TPI x 1/4" long allan head set screw. I screw this set screw into the grip screw hole in the lower receiver. How I have been setting these up is with the Hammer Cocked and the Safety in the On Safe Position I simply screw the set screw in until I pushes the rear tail of the trigger up against the safety. Once the desired engagment is set I simply back the set screw back out, put some loktite on it and reset the engagement.

Do this test with your unmodified AR Single Stage Trigger. With the Hammer Cocked and the Safety in the On Safe Position pull the trigger until it stops against the safety. Note the amount of movement. This simple set screw will eliminate all of that movement and provide for a much better trigger feel if nothing else is done.

Larry