PDA

View Full Version : Use a shot-timer with your Android powered phone!

revsoft
03-01-10, 21:57
Hey everyone,
I just wanted to let you know that if you have an Android Phone (Droid,G1,MyTouch,Hero, etc) my app is available for 99 cents on the Android Market under the name "ShotClock". It essentially turns your phone into a shot timer.

All you do is select the sensitivity, switch on the detection, wait for the beep and start shooting.

It isn't a replacement for a real shot timer but I have had no problems using it at the range for practice purposes.

If you have the Barcode Scanner app, the following image will take you to where you need to go.
http://xs.to/image-3E6B_4B874B05.jpg

Example:
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/8492/getimagee.png

tarkeg
03-02-10, 15:43
Cool. I already have a good shot timer, but it will be nice to have an emergency backup.
I'll try it.

JBecker 72
03-02-10, 15:47
I want a droid :(

Lee Indy
03-02-10, 15:47
bookmarked for when i get my new phone.

iFightCrime
03-02-10, 16:42
I'm a COP so forgive me if this is a silly question. I have a Palm PRE which runs WEB OS. Can you make a shot timer for that operating system? Thanks

Buckaroo
03-02-10, 16:47
Downloaded it and should be able to try it out this weekend.

Thanks, we needed this app!

Buckaroo

revsoft
03-03-10, 10:25
I'm a COP so forgive me if this is a silly question. I have a Palm PRE which runs WEB OS. Can you make a shot timer for that operating system? Thanks

It's possible but I don't have the tools or equipment to try :(.

[Nerd Alert] Here is why mobile phone software isn't easily transferred.

WindowsMobile phones run a weird version of Windows that regular windows programs can't even run on and vice versa. Languages for this are rarely C++ and most often C#.

Android phones run a weird version of Linux and use Java based libraries to run.

WebOS (new Palm) devices run a different version of Linux from Android and the programming interface is similar to web programming/JavaScript.

Apple phones run a weird version of OSX and require a their custom Objective-C to be able to make apps for it.

Blackberry uses their own OS and appears to be Java related.

bpw
03-03-10, 10:46
Hi,
I like your program! I would suggest a bigger start button if possible but I suspect that may be limited by the OS. Could you make a variable delay to start such as 3 and 5 seconds and then a random start? brian

Lee Indy
03-03-10, 11:14
It's possible but I don't have the tools or equipment to try :(.

[Nerd Alert] Here is why mobile phone software isn't easily transferred.

WindowsMobile phones run a weird version of Windows that regular windows programs can't even run on and vice versa. Languages for this are rarely C++ and most often C#.

Android phones run a weird version of Linux and use Java based libraries to run.

WebOS (new Palm) devices run a different version of Linux from Android and the programming interface is similar to web programming/JavaScript.

Apple phones run a weird version of OSX and require a their custom Objective-C to be able to make apps for it.

Blackberry uses their own OS and appears to be Java related.

http://www.adrianagascoigne.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/nerd.jpg
NERDS!!!
i guess i am to cause i understand what you said.

revsoft
03-03-10, 17:28
Hi,
I like your program! I would suggest a bigger start button if possible but I suspect that may be limited by the OS. Could you make a variable delay to start such as 3 and 5 seconds and then a random start? brian

Both of these are valid suggestions and will most likely (definitely as to the delay suggestion) included in v1.1

Thanks!

matt7184
03-04-10, 10:18
Ordered! Going to test it out tomorrow on an indoor range to see how it works. :cool:

Shawn.L
11-21-10, 16:26
Anyone use this yet?

Shawn.L
11-21-10, 17:54
Anyone use this yet?

Didnt look to hard when I posted (I was searching from my phone.....) but it seems this app no longer exists.

And I cant seem to find another.

Anyone have an idea where to find one?

I have a real shot timer, but having a back up on my phone for days where I just stop by a range or forget to pack mine, or the batt dies, ect ect ect is a good idea.

Wildkow
12-14-10, 11:59
Damn I can't find it either, anyone?

RSA-OTC
12-14-10, 12:25
There is another app called Open Shot. I downloaded it but haven't really tried it at the range. No Par Time Function. But it does have adjustable sensitivity, Beep Volume control, Delayed start etc. I like the read out. I have to find time to try it at the range.

ummagawd
01-02-11, 14:30
surefire makes one for the iPhone folks...

AND it works :)

The starting buzz is audible even when wearing hearing protection and even works when shooting rimfire

RGR
01-06-11, 00:38
+ 1 on the i phone app not a bad back up.

polydeuces
01-26-11, 23:57
revsoft, is that app still available? Seems to have disappeared. What's up?

jaxman7
01-27-11, 15:51
The app for android is MIA. I had my phone stolen a couple of months ago and it had that shot timer app. Received new phone and app could not be found. Haven't seen it since.

-Jax

jaydoc1
01-30-11, 23:12
There is an app called Shot Timer PRO available in the Android Market but I haven't seen enough reviews to pony up the dough yet. So I'm still carrying my old iPhone to the range to use the Surefire app.

nickdrak
01-30-11, 23:42
There is an app called Shot Timer PRO available in the Android Market but I haven't seen enough reviews to pony up the dough yet. So I'm still carrying my old iPhone to the range to use the Surefire app.

One of the guys at work downloaded that app for his Android phone. We plan to try it out this week. It looks like you need to record each caliber you plan to shoot with, both for indoor and outdoors ranges in order to get an accurate shot profile with this program.

Shawn.L
01-31-11, 13:07
One of the guys at work downloaded that app for his Android phone. We plan to try it out this week. It looks like you need to record each caliber you plan to shoot with, both for indoor and outdoors ranges in order to get an accurate shot profile with this program.

weird.

let us know how it goes. Id like a backup to my normal shot timer.

dravz
02-07-11, 15:41
surefire makes one for the iPhone folks...

AND it works :)

The starting buzz is audible even when wearing hearing protection and even works when shooting rimfire

Yup, just downloaded it yesterday. It's still out there for free. :cool:

dfsutton
02-07-11, 16:39
I just looked up the shot timer on the Iphone and apparently, it doesn't work on the Iphone 4. Reviewers think it has issues with the noise canceling microphone.

theblackknight
02-13-11, 13:00
I got a "ipsc shot timer" app on my droid last night. I worked good w hand clapping. Hopefully it run good w real muzzle report.

polydeuces
02-13-11, 13:15
"ipsc shot timer"
Is that what it's called? (to do a search)
Thanks.

theblackknight
02-13-11, 16:15
yeah its the only one that comes up for me.

theblackknight
03-06-11, 21:05
I finally used it today and it dosent work at all.

I font have 130$ for a pact WTF

Wildkow
03-06-11, 21:35
I found both "Open Shot Timer" and "ShotTimer" neither works on my X. :confused: Haven't had a lot of time with "ShotTimer" but dang it shouldn't be that difficult to setup. Latest I found was "IPSC Shot Timer (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.stimer)" just installed it today hopefully I can try tomorrow or tuesday. Sigh, I'm missing my Sureshot timer I used to have on my iPhone.

Shawn.L
03-10-11, 06:16
So far that IPSC timer has worked better than my real timer for dry fire . Havent tried it out live fire yet .

HuttoAg96
03-10-11, 09:17
I was playing with the IPSC timer last night for dry firing and it worked pretty well... especially for what I paid for it! Random start signal works well.

Wildkow
03-10-11, 09:36
Yeah this one seems to work! H00T!

Sry0fcr
03-10-11, 12:59
So the IPSC Shot Timer is the one I should try?

Wildkow
03-10-11, 16:12
So the IPSC Shot Timer is the one I should try?

I think we have a winner here, got a comp on Sunday will wring it out there and report back.

dorton
03-11-11, 20:26
I got a "ipsc shot timer" app on my droid last night. I worked good w hand clapping. Hopefully it run good w real muzzle report.

I loaded it on mine the other day, and I'm pleased with it. Even broke it out at work during a slow spurt and challenged some guys to most claps in 10secs best I got was 78, one guy got 80.

Anyone using it know how to clear it, without backing out, and going back to the app?

Wildkow
03-18-11, 19:08
I loaded it on mine the other day, and I'm pleased with it. Even broke it out at work during a slow spurt and challenged some guys to most claps in 10secs best I got was 78, one guy got 80.

Anyone using it know how to clear it, without backing out, and going back to the app?

Arghhhhh, IPSC timer hears the shots good but on my X it does the same thing but even though I back out of the app when I go back in the shots that were timed before are still there. Three strikes and your out. Android shot timers suck! :mad:

danish
03-19-11, 09:15
I've tried all the Android shot timers and they have sucked up to this point. Recently I downloaded 'Shot Timer' by Futurewise Technologies which is another timer which has most of the same extras as the others (timer delay, sensor delay, cof,..) but this also has a power factor calculator and is free. It takes a bit of calibration but it works pretty good. I've got it to pick-up clapping and it recorded all the gunshots from my last firearm outing...

Low Drag
11-10-11, 06:48
Gents,
I've been thinking of getting a droid phone, one of the reasons is to get a shot timer app.

Reading the feedback in this thread leads me to think there are no reasonable shot timers for a droid phone, iphones are so-so.

If anyone has a different experience with a droid app please chime in.

Thanks

Shawn.L
11-10-11, 07:11
The most recent update works great .
It has a calibration function that will pick up dry fire even .

Low Drag
11-10-11, 07:24
Thanks.

I was looking at Shot Timer Pro. I don't mind the 10 bucks as long as it works. I don't like spending .05 if I'm not happy with what I've bought.

Low Drag
12-03-11, 07:56
Figured I chime back in....

I installed shot timer pro for $10. Got it to the range and it did what it said it would do.

I set it up for my 1911, seemed to work fine. I'm going to see if the same profile will work with my ARs or another caliber of handgun.

Bottom line, for 10 bucks it's not bad. It works.

BTW, I have a Motorola Razr- not sure if the newer OS and hardware makes a difference.