PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use google or outlook calendars?

rob_s
03-02-10, 06:08
I need to set up a recurring activity that happens every day for two weeks, 7 AM and 7 PM, then has a week off, over and over again for a year.

I do NOT want to have to set up every single one of these as a separate event, but it's looking like that is the only way.

Any suggestions?

Preferred User
03-02-10, 07:29
I have not played with Google Calendar enough, but you can do it in Outlook. There are two caveats, you have to use a little VB, C++, C# or .NET for complex recurrence patterns AND Daylight Savings Time can cause some glitches.

An option in Outlook is to go to the Month view, highlight the two weeks and create an appointment then repeat. Not very elegant but certainly do able.

What about creating a calendar in Excel or Google docs?

rob_s
03-02-10, 09:12
What I really need is the reminders and the spreadsheet won't remind me.

four
03-02-10, 09:23
thinking about it. I would set up 28 events. each would recur every 21 days. Then you can pick your end date for when ever you want.

sucks to setup that many event, but that would be the quickest way off the top of my head. and it would work in either MS or Google.

I live and die by my palm pre so I'm all up in the google calendar.

rob_s
03-02-10, 10:05
thinking about it. I would set up 28 events. each would recur every 21 days. Then you can pick your end date for when ever you want.

sucks to setup that many event, but that would be the quickest way off the top of my head. and it would work in either MS or Google.

I live and die by my palm pre so I'm all up in the google calendar.

It's not a bad solution, but it's really 56 activities since there's a morning and a night. Certainly beats the 250+/- activities I'd have to do otherwise though.

Buckaroo
03-02-10, 17:11
Yea, google calendar is pretty weak IMO. Compared to palm's calendar and DB6 it is comical really.

You can't create an event and have it repeat on an irregular schedule, nor can you create an event that lasts for a defined period of time each day but repeats daily for a set number of days.

Drives me crazy!

I want icons, colors, something that allows me to differentiate between jobs, coaching, competitions and my wife's travel schedule.

Rant over (for now)

Buckaroo