PDA

View Full Version : Any true TEMS, SWAT, SRT forums?

cslone
03-02-10, 07:46
I am in the process of re-establishing the Medical Team of the Regional SWAT Team in our area, basically from scratch(previous team was all Docs) I've got some decent ideas on what to do and carry, but in the beginning, not everyone will be a TEMS Medic. I'd like to speak to/read on other jurisdictions that have recently made this jump.
Any forums out there similar to M4c.net, but in the SWAT world? Looking for knowledgeable, real world team members where I could pick apart their bags, maybe read some of their mission statements and protocols.

It seems like anything I come across is either LEO access only(which will correct itself for me in time, I guess), or 1 SME to every 50 joe blow posters.

I've got some things setup with local teams to peek at their stuff, but while I'm at home off duty with my two youngins', I'd like to look at/learn some more stuff.

Thanks for any help.

Iraq Ninja
03-02-10, 09:06
There is a very good medical forum at lightfighter.net. It is rather slow now, but has lots of good info from over the past years.

Getoffthex.com also has one.

www.professionalsoldiers.com is quite good and has a lot of 18Ds who post there.

MIKE G
03-02-10, 11:22
I would second the Lightfighter.net recommendation. Quite a few prior service guys that have setup teams after transitioning to civilian side of things.

There also were a couple of dedicated TEMS forums but they never really produced much. I think they were just too specific in nature.

cslone
03-02-10, 11:41
Great, thanks guys, that'll give me a start.

photosniper
03-02-10, 16:49
Check with the NTOA. They have a division specifically for SWAT medics.

Decon
03-02-10, 21:32
I don't have any Non-LE sites for you besides the ones mentioned, but occassionally you will find TEMS information on the standard EMS forums or magazine sites. Also sites like Officer.com, Policeone.com will have information in their forums or on their sites to help you. However, the real reason I posted is because you are from Ohio. You may want to pay attention to what is happening in the state EMS Board meetings. They have a TEMS committee. The committee doesn't focus completely on TEMS anymore, but in the future may provide some oversight to the area. You can read the minutes on the state ems site or attend the meetings.

And for what it's worth I thought Dayton was the birthplace of TEMS in Ohio. You can't find anyone willing to help?

Good Luck.

cslone
03-03-10, 01:29
And for what it's worth I thought Dayton was the birthplace of TEMS in Ohio. You can't find anyone willing to help?

Good Luck.

Thanks for the info. I've got plenty of people to help, I just don't want to wear out my welcome with those guys, ya know? They've been great for the past few months and have been a wealth of info, but at some point, I need to make this "ours". I'd like to see what others in the game are doing and try to open up and pick a few of the good things from each program.

jhurt
03-03-10, 13:38
I can't help with websites and such however your local emergency room may be able to help also. We are in the process of having a trauma surgeon assigned to our Team. He will be there on call-outs to provide immediate higher-level care than the TEMS even can. My only worry is upsetting the TEMS lads, we don't want to make them feel unimportant. I think the surgeon will stand by at the CP and wait while TEMS actually deploys with the us.

Tmed
03-04-10, 11:15
I am in the process of re-establishing the Medical Team of the Regional SWAT Team in our area, basically from scratch(previous team was all Docs) I've got some decent ideas on what to do and carry, but in the beginning, not everyone will be a TEMS Medic. I'd like to speak to/read on other jurisdictions that have recently made this jump.
Any forums out there similar to M4c.net, but in the SWAT world? Looking for knowledgeable, real world team members where I could pick apart their bags, maybe read some of their mission statements and protocols.

It seems like anything I come across is either LEO access only(which will correct itself for me in time, I guess), or 1 SME to every 50 joe blow posters.

I've got some things setup with local teams to peek at their stuff, but while I'm at home off duty with my two youngins', I'd like to look at/learn some more stuff.

Thanks for any help.

I do not know of any forums, but I will be glad to discuss how to stand up a TEMS unit. I did it 7 years ago and we are still functioning well. Just pm me and I will get up with you. Tmed:)

Pathfinder Ops
03-04-10, 11:40
I can help also...but I'm not a paying advertiser here yet (waiting for the info to become one) but you can always PM me and I'll work with ya.

And if any moderators can get me the details on how or what needs to be submitted to become a recognized Industry provider please let me know. I've sent a few emails/ PM's now and have yet to hear back.

Thanks.

cslone
03-04-10, 20:21
I appreciate the help guys.

Tmed, I sent you a PM.

NinjaMedic
03-04-10, 21:12
jhurt - no offense but a trauma physician will not bring anything practical to the table that you are not already being provided by your tactical medics (at least in my area). If anything they can be a detriment to the team cohesion and are not experienced in the practical considerations of working in the prehospital environment. A trauma surgeon will not crack someone's chest in a front yard or the back of an ambulance, if someone can be saved in the field by a trauma surgeon then they can be saved be an EMT-Intermediate (not even a paramedic). The best you can hope for is that the well meaning surgeon will merely slow you down in trying to get that person to definitive care (an OR with a trauma team, not a front yard with a trauma surgeon).

Limey-
03-09-10, 01:17
I have to agree with ninjamedic. I have 25 years in ER (a significant portion in Level 1 Trauma) extensive Flight Trauma experience as an RN in the busiest Flight trauma team in the US. I am a sworn LE Operator medic on a SWAT team.

A Trauma Surgeon is going to be a Penguin in the Desert. They have little or no experience in pre hospital and little experience outside of a well stocked ER/OR with lots of help. The average Urban Paramedic will outperform the Doc in almost every situational need that a Tac team has.

I would highly recommend the NTOA site and talking to other teams in your region. Lightfighter and SOCNET have some good info.
COMTOMS is up and running again and the old HK School is still functioning under another name.

jhurt
03-09-10, 11:11
Ninja and Limey, you may be right. I really have no standing to argue the issue in either direction, I was just told thats what we're doing.

Limey-
03-09-10, 13:28
Maybe he is just taking a 'medical control' role........I would hope so.

Stay Safe

NinjaMedic
03-09-10, 17:48
jhurt - unfortunately many of us know exactly what thats like, stay safe!