PDA

View Full Version : So it begins...my P90X journey

Rated21R
03-02-10, 18:58
Today is Day 1 of my P90X journey. I am using the fitness plan as well. I will post pictures too. Starting weight, 173lbs. (which is my heaviest weight) must be me eating along side my pregnant wife. Goal is 155 and in kick ass shape. Wish me luck.

huklbrry
03-02-10, 22:24
155?? How tall are you??

vaglocker
03-03-10, 09:21
Ah, I remember the days when I was only 20 pounds overweight. Seems like yesterday. :D

LMarshall73
03-03-10, 12:24
I am in the middle of week 2 of block 2. I've only lost 2 pounds, but I've gone from 23% to 16% body fat. I am shooting for 10% or less (not too concerned about weight). This is my second time trying (ran into some rotator cuff issues when I started last fall) and I am sticking to the schedule as well as I can. You definitely get out of it what you put in to it.

awmp
03-03-10, 20:34
Looking forward to your results. There is a divide among some of my fellow military comrades, P90 or Crossfit.

francis
03-03-10, 22:05
my brothers having good success with it. Don't worry so much about weighing yourself all the time. Stick with the program and see how much your overall fitness improves at first. Check the scale later.

lazythekid
03-04-10, 00:39
My Captain recently finished P90x. The man didn't miss a single day. Freakin maniac. I've got nothing on his old man strength.

Good luck to ya!

Boothj
03-04-10, 17:07
You should check out the PALEO diet it works great. And it will speed up your results.

Mjolnir
03-14-10, 11:48
Progress report? :D

citizensoldier16
03-16-10, 23:14
Today (3/16) was also my first day! It kicked my a$$ for an hour, but I stuck with it. Currently I'm 6'1" and 178lbs. Would like to get to 165 and in better shape, ie loose fat and gain muscle mass.

The only problem I forsee is the fact that I work a 24/72 schedule (paramedic) and it can be tough finding an hour with no calls so I can get it done at work. Plus, I'll have to add 10 mins to shower afterward. But I'm gonna give it a shot! Like the OP, I'll add updates as I go.

To all of you who are suffering with me...keep it up!

awmp
03-16-10, 23:59
Curious why you chose P90? Seems to be a split with the folks I know, Crossfit and P90.

citizensoldier16
03-17-10, 00:24
Curious why you chose P90? Seems to be a split with the folks I know, Crossfit and P90.

Honestly, I've never heard of Crossfit. I chose P90X because two of my supervisors and my EMS training officer (all over 55) just finished 90 days and are RIPPED. Three people I know and trust recommended it to me. That's why I chose P90X.

Sigmax
03-17-10, 07:24
Brother, from experience you are going to need more then an hour to get through it for say at least the first month. The first 30 days are pretty rough, at least they were on me, but it gets significantly better at day 31.

Word of advice, the pause button is your friend.

epf
03-17-10, 10:05
Honestly, I've never heard of Crossfit
P90 is a good solid conditioning program. I also recommend you check out crossfit.com (FREE). Every program gets stale after a time, if you finnish you may be ready to try something else.

Good luck with your training.

citizensoldier16
03-17-10, 18:07
Just finished day 2....plyometrics! It's thoroughly kicking my butt and I'll admit, I had to push the pause button 3 times (30 seconds each) but I stuck with it.

I'm not nearly as flexible as the people in the video, so I closely watch the "modified" person in the video and start out with that. If I felt good, I moved into the standard motions. I finished about 10 minutes ago and I'm still sweating!

I did a few extra stretches at the end today because I was pretty sore this morning after yesterday's workout. We'll see if it makes any difference.

Is anyone using the P90X post-workout supplements? I'm just using water and multi-vitamins currently...and some Muscle Milk every other day. Any better suggestions?

GLOCKMASTER
03-17-10, 19:29
Is anyone using the P90X post-workout supplements? I'm just using water and multi-vitamins currently...and some Muscle Milk every other day. Any better suggestions?

Endurox R4......Disclaimer: I have not used it but I have seen where others were dicussing how it helped them with the soreness in the early stages of P90x. Something to maybe check on.

citizensoldier16
03-17-10, 20:00
Thanks JFreuler, I'll check it out.

LMT42
03-21-10, 20:49
I too am about to start p90x. I've lifted weights all my life, but have always hated cardio. I'm hoping it'll be a little easier if I'm following someone as opposed to having to do it on my own. Anyway, I have two questions for veterans of p90x.

1) What's the most efficient way to monitor and count calories? I've always struggled with this as it seems you have to weigh everything you eat. With some things, like spaghetti, it's hard to know how much sauce is in the serving. Tips would be appreciated as I know you can't out-train the table and counting calories is as important as the exercise itself.

2) How much will I miss from the program if I don't do the plyometrics and jumping exercises? I live in an apartment on the second floor and jumping isn't an option as the walls/floors are thin. I plan to move in a couple of months to a first floor apt., but until then, I'll have to take it easy on the jumping.

Quiet-Matt
04-17-10, 21:23
Endurox R4......Disclaimer: I have not used it but I have seen where others were dicussing how it helped them with the soreness in the early stages of P90x. Something to maybe check on.

I used the Endurox R4 for years as a sponsored bike racer. I drank a bottle before my training rides and races, and alternated between Endurox and water each hour during. It works better than alot of the other products I've tried, and it's easier on your stomach. It definately helps prevent alot of the soreness and speeds recovery time.
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_5kA3JwNkBxc/S8psXmYvrxI/AAAAAAAAF44/HS60mAUcBQs/s512/Matt.jpg

Cameron
04-18-10, 14:08
I wonder how the OP is doing....

Cameron

Alberto
04-25-10, 13:21
I finished P90X about 1 month ago. It was the hardest thing Ive ever done. I didnt think I had the discipline to work out 6 days per week for 3 months. Never missed a day, social drinking only 1x/month instead of every weekend.

I lost 24lbs and most of the gut I had been building since HS 10yrs ago. I feel great now and have been eating well and occasioanlly working out to maintain it.

OP-how you doing on it?

Rated21R
04-25-10, 13:29
Well, I suppose I should come back and update everyone. Shortly after starting this I found out I had kidney stones. I believe everything is cleared up and I will be re-starting my P90X journey. I have a challenge with one of my friends so it will keep me motivated to hit it hard. I promise to provide updates. 1 May is the start date.

rrpederson
04-25-10, 21:34
good luck with bouncing back bro.

Rated21R
05-05-10, 19:49
Kidney stone removed today via surgery. I figure after a good recovery this week I will start fresh on Monday with my P90X again. This time my friend and I have a challenge in place. My the best man win.

NSR500
05-05-10, 20:03
Good luck to you!

I'm on day 75 and have definitely changed my body composition. I'm a bit frustrated because I'm only showing a 2 pack. My buddy told me that's the hardest since he finished P90X and only has a 4 pack.
If I don't get the 6 pack by day 90 I may repeat the P90X, but on "Lean" this time instead of "Classic".

parishioner
05-05-10, 22:51
Out of curiosity, how many of yall are sticking with the Rx eating plan that comes with it?

BTW, I had P90x for two days. After the second day (plyometrics) I got a knock on the door from my landlord and said I would be evicted if I made that much noise again. So now I'm starting crossfit next month. I think they are both good programs and just like anything, if you stick with it, you will see results.

Good luck OP. The host isn't lying when he says the workouts are extreme. They really kick your ass.

Dog Tags
05-09-10, 14:37
My wife did P90x after our second baby. She did the 90 days but didn't follow the diet program and she still got in great shape. I myself am adding some of the training days into my own workout plan. It is a great workout and like others said, you get what you put into it. Good luck bro!

sohjah
05-12-10, 00:57
Out of curiosity, how many of yall are sticking with the Rx eating plan that comes with it?

I use it as a guideline but don't follow it religiously.

Xhado
05-12-10, 01:05

I just finished day 30 of my fourth time through the program.

The eating plan is there so you can have the energy to really push yourself through the workout, not for weight loss. Its a completely different experience without it. The only time I dont follow it 100% is durring the recovery week when you're not pushing yourself as hard.

SHIVAN
05-25-10, 20:58
My wife's boss lent my the DVD's but no guides or anything, can I buy them somewhere?

Also, what is the bare minimum equipment I need to start?

Xhado
05-25-10, 21:23
I dont think you can buy them anywhere, you might want to send an Email to BeachBody.

For equipment you need a set of weights or bands, pullup bar or bands, and an open space to workout.

A yoga mat and block, would help as well but you can get by.

tampam4
05-25-10, 21:29
My wife's boss lent my the DVD's but no guides or anything, can I buy them somewhere?

SHIVAN, I might be able to help you. I have most, if not all of the P90X literature on PDF formats.

If you don't mind looking at it on a computer screen, I could email it to you.

SHIVAN
05-25-10, 21:41
Since I haven't done the workouts yet, do you really need a whole set? Do you just use one more than another? Or a couple weights?

IM sent for .PDF goodness.

sohjah
05-25-10, 23:22

- A pullup bar or cords (I highly recommend the pullup bar)
- A chair (folders work great)
- Dumb bells (better with a full set but depending on your strength you can go with 4 to 5 different weights)

would highly recommend getting pushup bars as well.

Xhado
05-26-10, 01:15
Since I haven't done the workouts yet, do you really need a whole set? Do you just use one more than another? Or a couple weights?

IM sent for .PDF goodness.

This would all depend on your strength of the specific muscle group. I find myself using a range of 10 - 50, from arm circles to back stuff.

SHIVAN
05-26-10, 13:11
Individual dumbells? Or plates? Or powerblocks/selecttech?

I am thinking of using some dumbell plate sets...

sohjah
05-26-10, 14:02
Individual dumbells? Or plates? Or powerblocks/selecttech?

I am thinking of using some dumbell plate sets...

Individual dumbbells work best for me.

That being said, if you have the DVDs watch the chest/back, the shoulders/arms and the legs/back workout discs. Those are the ones you'll be using the weights for and you can make a decision on what will work best for you.

Rated21R
05-26-10, 14:33
I have to agree, individual dumbells work best. Pull-up/push-up bar (like total gym or whatever it is called) is also a plus. I also use the yoga block and mat. Enjoy!

Xhado
05-26-10, 15:17
I started with a set of plate dumbells but hated how I always had to pause between exercise in ordre to change out the weight.

I've bought powerblocks since then and I find them much better. Since I'm on my 5th time through, it has been worth the extra price.

SHIVAN
05-26-10, 16:04
The closest door frame that will work with a pullup bar in in the powder room in the hallway from where the TV is...

Will that be a problem with workout continuity?

I am thinking about scoring a small TV for the garage and doing it there if the pull bar thing will be an issue.

sohjah
05-26-10, 18:29
The closest door frame that will work with a pullup bar in in the powder room in the hallway from where the TV is...

I am thinking about scoring a small TV for the garage and doing it there if the pull bar thing will be an issue.

Yeah, you'll run into a continuity problem, at least till you're familiar with the routines. Be careful setting up in the garage cause some of the excercises are high impact (esp. plyometrics) and can be hard on the knees and ankles.

MeanRider
06-03-10, 17:01
The time spent to get your pullup bar is negligible. I have never had a problem even when I go down to my basement, for heavier weights. If you are looking for a way to get P90X cheap, I got my set off Ebay, had a download for the written info, ie, workout scheduale, meal plan, my total was about half of what the tv special is, but I purchased a heavier pullup bar. I would also consider the bands they would be handy for some extra help or if you in a hotel room. It has gone well for me, but like anything else it is what you put into it.

m4fun
06-05-10, 20:59
Tagging - this one - about to pull the trigger on this myself!

jvencius
06-05-10, 22:46

This is a mild necropost, but do you have a laptop with a DVD drive you could use vs. buying a whole second (or third, fourth, fifth, etc...) TV and DVD player?

SHIVAN
06-06-10, 13:41
Yes, I am going to use a Laptop with DVD in the garage. I've set my first day as June 14th.

Nathan_Bell
06-09-10, 10:30
8 foot ceiling. 6'7" dude with 8' 6" upward reach. P90x plyo stuff going to cause conflict?

SpyderMan2k4
06-10-10, 20:01
My thoughts on P90X...

Two years ago (it was exactly 2 years on May 31) I was at my heaviest weight at 240 (I'm 5'11, and was 22 years old). After about 9 months of workin out on my own I got down to about 210. Last spring I purchased P90X.

The first month I did every workout every day and followed the nutrition guide 100%. I lost 7 pounds (which is pretty solid). Because I was still a broke college kid I couldn't afford to keep up with all the nutrition, so month 2 I kept up with all the workouts and lost another 3 pounds. As the P90X guide states- if you don't follow the nutrition, you'll still get very fit... you just won't look it. I did drop fat and put on muscle, but not at the rate I could have. For month 3 I only did the resistance workouts and my weight didn't change. I was just maintaining.

I had gone through the program again last fall, but again, mostly just did the resistance training to maintain. Well I got tired of being in the 195-198 range (I was 175-180 at the beginning of college), so I started again 5 weeks ago. I still only did the resistance workouts with some plyometrics on rainy days. I also ran a TON and watched what I ate. The first 4 weeks I dropped 8 pounds. Right now I'm at 190.

This month I'm going to double up the upper body resistance workouts (chest and back monday and thursday, shoulders and arms tuesday and friday, rest wednesday, and run when I can). There's enough days rest between each muscle group that if I keep up with my protein I should see big muscle gains.

I guess what I'm getting at is this; you can modify and use the program exactly how you like. You don't need to follow the program 100% (though I'd recommend it your first time through). The only way you're gonna get the best results is do everything they say- resistance train, cardio, and diet... if you omit one of those, you're selling yourself short.

As for equipment needed, you can go as basic or advanced as you want. When I started I had a set of olympic style dumbbells with plates. After the second resistance workout I dropped the cash for a set of Powerblocks (HIGHLY recommended if you can afford them). If you don't have a decent set (as in multiple weights), quickchange dumbbells will really help you keep up.

Finally, I've heard heard some people say "well why would I pay that much money for dvds when I can workout without them." I can honestly say that I have been pushed much harder to keep pace with the DVDs than when on my own. I know that I take longer breaks between between reps than I should when I'm on my own. Tony keeps your heartrate up and pushes you. It's definitely worth the money. Sorry for rambling.

Keep pressing play. Do your best and forget the rest.

Dog Tags
06-12-10, 10:24
So I did the first 3 weeks of the program not doing the cardo aspects of the workouts. I did my own running and swimming instead. I started at 6' 191 lbs with 19.9% body fat. At the end of the first stage I dropped 8lbs and 2% bf.

Now I kind of followed the nutrition plan they give but put my own twist on it. I more or less had the same stuff but ate more fruits than they suggest.

With any workout that you do if your nutrition is good than you won't see or feel the results.

paulosantos
06-15-10, 12:48
I used to run for 3+ miles 4x a week in the morning and regular lifting in the afternoon. That got old and stale. I'm 5'7" and have been eight around 170 for 15 years. I just wanted to stay in shape and maintain my weight. I was going to try P90X, but 2 of my co-workers started crossfit (www.hammersowncrossfit.com). My one co-worker lost 30 LB and the other lost 20 since December. I lost about 1LB so far, but that wasn't my goal. I'm in even better shape now and what I really like about crossfit is that the majority of the workouts take approximately 20 minutes. Some workouts take 5 minutes and a couple take 30 minutes. You will need a pullup bar and weights. I think this is one of the best workouts that I've done because I have only done the same routines about twice now, so it never gets old. If you go to YouTube, search for "what is crossfit"?

One of my other co-workers bought the P90X, but he didn't stick with it. I know the P90X will also work if you stick with it. I just chose Crossfit because the workouts are much shorter but still very intense.

Hope this helps.

btl55823
06-30-10, 23:39
Well as of right now I am on day 51 and I freakin love it! I have a moderate eating schedule. I'm not doing the meal plan they outline. but I have pretty much cut all the crap out of my diet. I have not only slimmed up but I am getting lean and cut. I can actually see the six pack coming in! I don't know much more to say other than keep pressing play and BRING IT! you'll see results.
-larry

Fyrhazzrd
07-01-10, 08:00
1) What's the most efficient way to monitor and count calories? I've always struggled with this as it seems you have to weigh everything you eat. With some things, like spaghetti, it's hard to know how much sauce is in the serving. Tips would be appreciated as I know you can't out-train the table and counting calories is as important as the exercise itself.

Honestly a scale is the only way. After you have been weighing your food for few weeks it gets easier to estimate.

As far as pasta sauce goes: make your own. Store bought has a lot of sugar in it. If you make your own you can do it for a quarter of the calories.

awmp
07-17-10, 22:24
so is the program really worth it?

BrigandTwoFour
07-19-10, 18:23
I did it almost a year ago, and keep meaning to do it again (probably going to do insanity in the mean time, though).

If you can actually make the commitment to follow the nutrition plan and do the workouts as scheduled, the program will absolutely give you results.

But just be warned that it is a time commitment. Some workouts will take you an hour and a half, and it can be easy to say "screw it, I'll just do tomorrows." If you can maintain the discipline to do it, then it is definitely worth it.

Fyrhazzrd
07-20-10, 12:09
I have a friend who sells P90x and she said she would loan me a set to see if it is something I want to do. Is there anything that I have to buy in order to do this series? By have to buy, I mean the stuff that is mandatory or you just can't do the exercises.