PDA

View Full Version : building a new "toy"

usaffarmer
04-15-07, 19:31
i have always wanted one, and now have some means to get one.

Im thinking a .308 LTR, putting on a NightForce 3.5x15x56 NSX scope and all on a McMillian A-4 stock. This will take me a while to build but in time would this be worth it.
let me know.. be honest!
thanks

usaffarmer
04-26-07, 00:15
rifle is on its way, should have it mid next week!! sweet!

usaffarmer
04-27-07, 04:33
ok rifle is here.
what scope will best suit a 20 in barrel? really!!

javentre
04-27-07, 07:04
Before I can make a recommendation on a scope, I'd need to know the intended purpose of the gun.

Do you plan on shooting paper? At what distance? Do you always dial the knobs or use hold-overs or hold-unders? Do you need to range targets? Shooting movers?

I have a 20" .308 that I use for everything 1K and below .... from Known Distance (paper), UnKnown Distance (steel targets), to an occasional mover. I've got to range the targets, but mirage is often an issue for me so I need to dial down the power. Because of this, I opted for a first focal plane scope. I prefer to use my mils and holdovers at any power and not worry about the reticle values changing.

For my optics, the list of manufacturers ends and begins with US Optics, but I wouldn't turn down a S&B. I'm running an SN-3 3.2-17X with GAP reticle and EREK knob.

If I were only shooting paper at known distances, and not using my reticle for holds & ranging, I'd entertain a NF scope, but not a 56mm objective - at least not for a tac rifle.

Regardless of whether I went SFP or FFP, I'd make sure my knobs matched my reticle (mil/mil or moa/moa and not moa/mi)

themadhatter
05-02-07, 03:56
i have always wanted one, and now have some means to get one.

Im thinking a .308 LTR, putting on a NightForce 3.5x15x56 NSX scope and all on a McMillian A-4 stock. This will take me a while to build but in time would this be worth it.
let me know.. be honest!
thanks
i have that same set up but without the Mcmillian and with a NF 3.5x15x50

usaffarmer
05-29-07, 00:10
night force 20moa base, nf rings, and harris bipod. No scope yet. still putting money in the "secret squirel" account. Soon very soon. pics soon!