PDA

View Full Version : LMT or COLT

trubiltman
03-02-10, 20:27
I am in the market for a new ar. I have narrowed my choices down to either a Colt 6920 or LMT Defender Standard Patrol 16. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

arptsprt
03-02-10, 20:47
I have both. I just bought a Colt 6920 and have had the LMT Defender since last year. The LMT has been great with no hiccups whatsoever. I have not shot the Colt yet as I just got it a few weeks ago.

The fit and finish are good on both but the LMT does have a better finish than the Colt. The phosphate finish on the Colt barrel is little on the rough side. This said, I am one that does not get too wrapped up around the axles about finish. As long as they both function flawlessly, that is what I am more concerned about.

By the way, I paid $999 for the LMT and $1199 for the Colt. Was the Colt worth the $200 more? Probably not. But, I have wanted a Colt to add to my AR collection so I finally did it. My money, my choice.

warpigM-4
03-02-10, 20:49
I say if in your budget, I would go Colt.it is after all "THE" true M4 :D.I have read nothing but good things about LMT ,But I have yet to handle one or seen one in person.I Like Colt! always have ,always will.I trained with a Colt M4 in the Army so I just went with Colt even after I started My build with a Double star Lower.Slowly all my parts became Colt and Now I have a second Lower that needs to be built.I know what I can do with a Colt and the abuse I can put it through and it still work.you can always Buy a LMT Lower and start a Build after you get a Colt ;)

Shotdown
03-02-10, 20:54
I have both and they are very reliable. Whichever one you pick is a great choice.

exotic-toys
03-02-10, 20:57
I've owned both. Honestly, you're basically comparing a couple high end steaks.

The Colt is a classic and the gold standard by which all others 'seem' to be judged. I do agree with Pomyc on the fit and finish of the colt vs the LMT. ;)

bkb0000
03-02-10, 21:02
LMT uses dowel pins at the FSB, Colt uses taper pins.. LMT ships with a C buffer (unmarked), Colt 6920s ship with H buffers.

Colt does those two things better than LMT. for what it's worth, i use LMT and don't use Colt for personal reasons.. but i'm equipped to make those two fixes (anybody can swap a buffer out), so it's not a hassle for me.

i'd get whichever you find the better deal on... to answer the question.

Belmont31R
03-02-10, 21:06
I would go with the Colt but LMT does make a nice weapon, too.

bkb0000
03-02-10, 21:07
I've owned both. Honestly, you're basically comparing a couple high end steaks.

The Colt is a classic and the gold standard by which all others 'seem' to be judged. I do agree with Pomyc on the fit and finish of the colt vs the LMT. ;)

there's no difference in finish between the two. if you took a pile of 20 receivers from different batches from each company, some would be cleanish, some would be a little chewed up, and if you mixed them up, you'd never know which belonged in which pile.

exotic-toys
03-02-10, 21:19
there's no difference in finish between the two. if you took a pile of 20 receivers from different batches from each company, some would be cleanish, some would be a little chewed up, and if you mixed them up, you'd never know which belonged in which pile.

probably so, but I can tell you my LMT had a nicer fit and finish. Just my humble opinion/observation and nothing more.

Mjolnir
03-02-10, 22:21
I'd choose the Colt - parkerization underneath the FSB, no MIM in the bolt carrier ass'y - are two things that 'bother' me about the LMT DI Systems. I ADORE their gas piston system but that's another answer seeking a question.

ColdDeadHands
03-02-10, 22:36
i'd get whichever you find the better deal on... to answer the question.

I'd say this is the best advice so far.

jhs1969
03-02-10, 23:27
I would say look closely at the chart and decide if any of LMT's "shortfalls" (if you can call them that) matter to you. I will also say that Colt is listed first for a reason.

With that being said, I do own both. And can say that both are excellent carbines and either would/should serve you well. Now, if pressed, if I only could have one it would definitely be the Colt. As far as new/current carbines go, I am a little disappointed that LMT has gone to a MIM gas key. I've had my LMT for over 3 years, before they changed to the MIM key. As far as factory supplied carbines, the Colt comes with a M16 carrier and H buffer, and the LMT comes with a AR15 carrier and a carbine buffer. I can tell the difference too, but I do not mean to imply the LMT would cause problems. Just something else to consider (the chart will show this as well). If price is of any concern, I would say you could probably get a Colt 6920 cheaper than a LMT at this time. I got my 6920 somewhere around a month ago for $1099 and if you shop some I'm sure you can still get that price. Check out Gunbroker, I don't think LMT's are that low right now.

IMHO, I think both are quality carbines but I do favor the Colt. But it is your choice and there isn't a bad choice between the two.

JBecker 72
03-03-10, 00:37
I have an LMT.
the buffer swap was easy, and Im probably gonna change out to taper pins soon just for peace of mind.
the parkerizing under the FSB doesnt bother me (or lack thereof)

buy whatever you can get a better deal on.

Count Chocula
03-03-10, 14:39
Both are great, I just like Colt more.