PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Installed 10-8 Sights on Their Glock?

sundance435
03-02-10, 20:49
I purchased Glock brand rear and front sight tools to install 10-8 sights on both of my Glocks.

Has anyone done this themselves? If so, was there any fitting required and what tool did you use?

Thank You

Code3Patriot
03-02-10, 22:53
I installed a set with no problems on my 17L using the MGW sight tool and no fitting was required.

Most of my Glocks have mepros, but I like the 10-8s and plan on getting another set for a G19 I just picked up.

DaveC
03-02-10, 23:54
I have the older style Glock sight tool. I was unable to install the 10-8 sights with it and had to use the MGW sight tool.

cobb
03-03-10, 00:09
I installed the rear sight starting by hand, then used a wood block and rubber hammer. To sight in I had to use a brass punch and rubber hammer because the Glock brand sight pusher doesn't fit.

operator81
03-03-10, 00:45
I used a Glock rear sight tool to install Heinie Straight Eights. I had to tap them in about 1/2 way and then used the sight tool to get the rest. I broke 2...yes 2 sight tools doing this. Glock doesn't build their rear sight tool nearly as well as their pistols. Just use a brass punch and tap the sight in, it'll save you a lot of cursing. To Glock's credit, they did replace both sight tools no questions asked, which was good cause I borrowed it from a friend :D Their sight tools are only really good for standard Glock or other plastic sights.

sundance435
03-03-10, 07:21
To the folks who used the MGW tool, did you use the one for straight sided sights, or the slanted version? It appears to me that the 10-8 sights have straighter sides.

halfcocked
03-03-10, 08:57
I've installed these on several Glocks. Use the straight sided MGW sight pusher.

deuce9166
03-04-10, 07:58
I have the old style tool so I had to install mine with a brass punch. A couple I had to file a little off the bottom to get them to fit.

Robb Jensen
03-04-10, 08:11
Brass punch & hammer works well. If the sight fits the dovetail really tight you can oil up the sight and dovetail first.

SWATcop556
03-04-10, 17:27
Brass punch & hammer works well. If the sight fits the dovetail really tight you can oil up the sight and dovetail first.

This is how I installed all three of my sets.

Mark/MO
03-04-10, 17:46
I've installed these on several Glocks. Use the straight sided MGW sight pusher.

Where did you find this one? I have looked online and all I seem to be able to find are the slant sided models.

Code3Patriot
03-05-10, 00:25
To the folks who used the MGW tool, did you use the one for straight sided sights, or the slanted version? It appears to me that the 10-8 sights have straighter sides.

My MGW is slanted and I had zero problems with the 10-8 rear.

Robb Jensen
03-05-10, 05:41
Topgunsupply.com sells both style MGW Glock tools, be very careful installing sights with these. I only use these for sight adjustments and install sights with a brass drift and hammer.

sundance435
03-05-10, 21:22
Topgunsupply.com sells both style MGW Glock tools, be very careful installing sights with these. I only use these for sight adjustments and install sights with a brass drift and hammer.

Can you elaborate?

Robb Jensen
03-05-10, 21:30
Can you elaborate?

Be very careful using sight tools to install sights. I recently cracked a Glock 19 slide using a sight tool to install a rear sight. You are stressing the very thin slide rails when using a sight tool. Using a padded vise (one jaw on the top of the slide and the other on the bottom of the slide) to install sights with a drift and hammer is a much better solution without stressing the slide.

Mark/MO
03-06-10, 09:44
OK. You've convinced me to just use the drift and hammer, taking it nice and easy. Am I correct, take the sight out from left to right and install visa versa?

Robb Jensen
03-06-10, 09:50
OK. You've convinced me to just use the drift and hammer, taking it nice and easy. Am I correct, take the sight out from left to right and install visa versa?

Glock rear sights can go in/out from either side.
I use G96 gun blue to remove the brass left by the drift and then oil it with Rem-oil or CLP to prevent rust. The G96 gun blue removes all the oil.

Mark/MO
03-06-10, 10:05
Thanks. Not wanting to be a bother but I have not swapped sights on an auto before and don't want to screw something up. I appreciate the advice.

sundance435
03-07-10, 10:34
I ended up using the MGW tool to install the 10-8 sights. They were tight, but they went on without any filing. I took the pistol to the range, along with the MGW tool, to see if the sights were on. It took a little adjustment at the range, but they're gtg now.

I'm not being sarcastic when I say this, but after doing it myself, I don't know how you could crack the slide. I would think the metal that the slide rests on would warp or crack before the slide would.

gotm4 - what sight tool were you using?

kgwld1
03-10-10, 17:48
I just did 4 sets on my glocks. I froze them and heated the slide,brass drift and a hammer. I clamped the on my work bench and use a light oil and a few taps right in very easy maybe 10 minutes time total for all.