PDA

View Full Version : New M&P coming out later this year?

awmp
03-03-10, 20:02
Rumor is a new M&P will be coming out later this year, anyone have any info?

sevin8nin
03-03-10, 20:10
what's the rumor? Different caliber? Different size? what?

awmp
03-03-10, 20:12
I was told Glock 19 size 9mm M&P, but don't know if this is correct or not.

MichaelD
03-03-10, 20:34
This is the post I was referring to over on MP-Pistol.com:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=554317#post554317

brushy bill
03-03-10, 21:28
Got me excited for a minute...thought it might be a flat single stack...

LHS
03-03-10, 23:21
A G19-sized M&P certainly tickles my fancy.

NCPatrolAR
03-04-10, 00:53
I dont see the need in a G19-sized M&P. Anyways, I know Smith is coming out with a 5" .40 Pro this year. I didnt know there was really going to be anything else aside from the 380 and new revolver.

Business_Casual
03-04-10, 07:22
single stack...

I wish those words could be banned from the Internet.

Anyway, there is another thread with information on the new M&P pistols.

M_P

skyugo
03-04-10, 07:39

M_P

but dude that 1/8" in width would transform a glock into a perfect carry gun! :rolleyes:

Magsz
03-04-10, 10:36
I dont see the need in a G19-sized M&P. Anyways, I know Smith is coming out with a 5" .40 Pro this year. I didnt know there was really going to be anything else aside from the 380 and new revolver.

There may not be a "need" but there certainly seems to be a desire.

I personally would love a G19 sized M&P. I find that the grip length on the full size pistol is just a tad too long whereas the grip size on the compact is just a tad too short.

Something in between for me would be my perfect sized pistol. I think alot of other people feel this way hence the popularity of the G19 itself and the desire to see something similar in the M&P range.

rob_s
03-04-10, 10:48

I personally would love a G19 sized M&P. I find that the grip length on the full size pistol is just a tad too long whereas the grip size on the compact is just a tad too short.

Something in between for me would be my perfect sized pistol. I think alot of other people feel this way hence the popularity of the G19 itself and the desire to see something similar in the M&P range.

I agree. I find the sizing of the M&P line to be odd at best. That may well come from too long with the Glock line and familiarity with it, but if S&W had a G19 size and a .22 when I went back to plastic I very likely would have wound up choosing the M&P over the Glock. If they had a quality Airsoft version it would have sealed the deal.

As it is now I'm invested in the Glock. For me personally, S&W could come out with 15 different pistols in 25 different calibers & sizes and I won't likely be changing. But someone else on the precipice of the same choice I made might be swayed.

I find the "what do they need to do that for" kinds of posts odd. What do you care? It's not like the new model is going to take away from production of the regular models, or somehow hurt the brand. Don't like or need a G19-sized M&P? Don't buy one. ;)

Business_Casual
03-04-10, 12:22
but dude that 1/8" in width would transform a glock into a perfect carry gun! :rolleyes:

It is second only to "grip angle" on my annoyo-scale.

I will take a second look at the M&P line if there is a mid-size offered.

M_P

opmike
03-04-10, 14:02
It is second only to "grip angle" on my annoyo-scale.

I will take a second look at the M&P line if there is a mid-size offered.

M_P

The grip angle issue genuinely annoys you?

timbo813
03-04-10, 14:24
A glock 19 sized M&P 9mm would be a sure way to get me to buy another M&P.

Business_Casual
03-04-10, 14:28
The grip angle issue genuinely annoys you?

talking about it does - enough thread drift.

NCPatrolAR
03-04-10, 16:04

I would think Smith would weigh out the costs of making a new frame size that only removes a small portion at the bottom of the frame. To me, it wouldnt be worth it. And as I've stated before, I feel the difference in sizes between the two is minimal and is mainly an issue in peoples minds.

brushy bill
03-04-10, 16:13

M_P

No accounting for preferences...I've seen verbiage in your posts I didn't care for, but I'm polite enough to keep it to myself

Business_Casual
03-04-10, 16:57
No accounting for preferences...I've seen verbiage in your posts I didn't care for, but I'm polite enough to keep it to myself

OK, thanks for the heads up. ;)

M_P

ToddG
03-04-10, 23:42
And as I've stated before, I feel the difference in sizes between the two is minimal and is mainly an issue in peoples minds.

Agreed completely. The M&P Compact with "pinky" floorplate is about as big as a G19 in terms of grip in an overall smaller gun. For all the people who complain the G19 is too big but the G26 doesn't let them get a full grip, the M&P Compact is right there in the sweet spot.

The G19's size may be the darling of the internet CCW crowd, but it is too big for most casual or let's call them "uninformed" everyday people. The vast majority of people who complain that the Compact isn't big enough haven't put 200 rounds through a Compact, in my experience.

glocktogo
03-05-10, 01:51
There are a lot of CCW folks who would love to have a single stack Glock/XD/M&P due to hand size and flat profile for carrying under minimal clothing. I have a G-23 I carry in a Milt Sparks EX and it conceals fairly well. But when I carry my 3913 it definitely conceals better.

OneUp
03-05-10, 02:32
Agreed completely. The M&P Compact with "pinky" floorplate is about as big as a G19 in terms of grip in an overall smaller gun. For all the people who complain the G19 is too big but the G26 doesn't let them get a full grip, the M&P Compact is right there in the sweet spot.

The G19's size may be the darling of the internet CCW crowd, but it is too big for most casual or let's call them "uninformed" everyday people. The vast majority of people who complain that the Compact isn't big enough haven't put 200 rounds through a Compact, in my experience.

As a grown man with smallish hands, I consider the G19 a full size pistol :p

Alpha Sierra
03-05-10, 05:02
I dont see the need in a G19-sized M&P.
+1

The full size is splits the difference between the 17 and 19 in more ways than one. The marginal increase in sales to S&W will most likely not justify the tooling investment and additional SKU management involved.

rob_s
03-05-10, 05:16
The vast majority of people who complain that the Compact isn't big enough haven't put 200 rounds through a Compact, in my experience.
and they won't if they don't like the way it feels on the showroom floor.

I've fired the M&P compact. No recollection how many rounds but probably not 200 but more than 100. and I'm a guy that bought a Glock 26 first and shot it for thousands of rounds before I ever bought a G19.

As I said before, it may well be that it's just a matter of what people are familiar with, but so what? IF Smith is making a G19-sized M&P that has zero effect on those that like the existing sizes, and may bring more customers in to Smith, the platform, etc. and since so many people seem so obsessed with having everyone else use the same gun they do, someone shooting a mid-size M&P is closer to having a star on their belly than someone shooting a G19. ;)

John_Wayne777
03-05-10, 07:20
and they won't if they don't like the way it feels on the showroom floor.

That may be true...but then again, the worst firearms purchases I've ever made all seemed great in the showroom.

Because the 9C is more compact than the G19 it gives that extra bit of concealment that can be of great benefit if you are trying to minimize printing. When I purchased my 9C the G19 no longer got carried much because the 9C's slightly smaller size was the difference between a handgun that concealed well and a handgun that was basically invisible.

It accomplishes that without being any more difficult to shoot well than the full-sized M&P.

As I said before, it may well be that it's just a matter of what people are familiar with

I don't think it's just that. There's also this mantra out there that the G19 is the "perfect" size for a carry gun. It's a useful legend for Glock marketing, but it's not really true as "perfect" varies by individual. I still don't think I've found the "perfect" handgun...and I own an obscene number of them.

but so what?

Even legends can be debunked if enough fact is presented. ;) A lot of people are out there looking for answers on concealed carry...and unfortunately a lot of the people offering advice are no better qualified to offer an opinion than those who are asking the question.

The desire for a G19 sized M&P seems to come, at least from what I've seen, primarily from those who don't have a lot of trigger time on a compact M&P.

Magsz
03-05-10, 13:40
Guess im alone in the thought that should a G19 sized M&P be released i will probably exclusively shoot and carry that particular gun.

I love my 9C but i dont shoot it during formal training all that often simply because its a pain in the ass to reload. Its easy to shoot but its harder to manipulate when it comes down to the nitty gritty of it all. While this IS a training issue im still faster on my full size weapon due to the grip length. Yes, im aware of how stupid it is to NOT maximize time spent shooting my carry weapon. Im also aware of how stupid it is to worry about a tenth of a second in reload speed between the full size pistol and the compact.

I spend most of the time shooting the 9c during my indoor range time just to keep proficient with it since its what i carry but its less than ideal for me.

Extending the grip slightly so that my pinky would have purchase on the firearm during reloads and malfunction clearing would be the bees knees for me but again, this is my personal preference.

vicious_cb
03-05-10, 15:31
This is something I would be interested in as well.

R Moran
03-05-10, 17:39
I've got a friend, who's biggest complaint with the M&P, is, there is no G19 size.

I don't get it. I do think S&W tried to split the difference of the 3 Glock sizes with just 2. I don't really see it as a problem. The fact that the gun fits me better, is way more important to me.

What I would like to see in the M&P line..

The .40 long slide, as noted earlier
A .22, prefer dedicated gun, but will be happy with a conversion kit
A full size slide, on the compact frame, in .40, kinda like the G17's cut down to G19 size, or a Commander slide on a Officers frame.

And while I'm no revolver guy, a 3" K frame .38, bead blasted, would be nice.

Bob

M4arc
03-05-10, 17:46
I guess I fall into the casual, uniformed, internet crowd on this one. :rolleyes:

I think the G19 is the great size for me. Since I’m not a big guy it allows me to carry a normal sized gun that conceals easily in most situations. It’s difficult for me to carry a G17 given my size and while the G26 is a great little gun that I carry quite often it still doesn’t give me the versatility that the G19 does. The size of the G19 gives me the benefits of a full sized gun with the ability to carry on a regular basis. I can run it in a class and turn around and carry it under a t-shirt.

It sounds cliché but it really does give me the one gun that can do everything that I need or want. Therefore I would be interested in a mid-sized, 15 round, M&P if it were available. That’s not to say that I wouldn’t own an M&Pc, and a full size but if S&W did produce this gun I would really only need to buy one.

However, I see that I’m no more qualified to give advice on this subject than those asking the question. It’s a good thing for the members here that we have qualified experts to point out our flawed logic and inadequate personal experiences while stroking their own egos.

Jesus H. Christ. If you guys want one and they become available by all means buy one. If you’re satisfied with your choices leave everyone else the **** alone.

Ian111
03-05-10, 18:08
Sometimes I yearn for a simpler a time when gun companies didn't seem to have a product for "the answer" or "solution" for every little thing. I'm not disparaging S&W for coming out with every imaginable variation for the M&P line, that's great for M&P fans. But it sure gets us to slit hairs over the smallest perceivable and theoretical advantages over these small differences. Glock fans aren't going to switch to M&P en masse because of a new size. Its still a M&P. M&P fans aren't going to switch to a Glock because the G26 is smaller than any M&P. Its still a Glock.

If the gun you prefer is too big to conceal you gotta work around it. If the gun you prefer is too small to effectively fight with you gotta work around it. We're gonna be stuck with whatever we have at any given moment. Nothing's changed unless you're in a video game and you can carry 5 different handguns, a shotgun, a PDW subgun, 2 different rifles, and an RPG all at the same time for every possible scenario.

LHS
03-05-10, 20:25
I guess I fall into the casual, uniformed, internet crowd on this one. :rolleyes:

I think the G19 is the great size for me. Since I’m not a big guy it allows me to carry a normal sized gun that conceals easily in most situations. It’s difficult for me to carry a G17 given my size and while the G26 is a great little gun that I carry quite often it still doesn’t give me the versatility that the G19 does. The size of the G19 gives me the benefits of a full sized gun with the ability to carry on a regular basis. I can run it in a class and turn around and carry it under a t-shirt.

It sounds cliché but it really does give me the one gun that can do everything that I need or want. Therefore I would be interested in a mid-sized, 15 round, M&P if it were available. That’s not to say that I wouldn’t own an M&Pc, and a full size but if S&W did produce this gun I would really only need to buy one.

However, I see that I’m no more qualified to give advice on this subject than those asking the question. It’s a good thing for the members here that we have qualified experts to point out our flawed logic and inadequate personal experiences while stroking their own egos.

Jesus H. Christ. If you guys want one and they become available by all means buy one. If you’re satisfied with your choices leave everyone else the **** alone.

I'm with you, except I'm one of those people who hates the Glock grip angle, too. I guess that makes me a retarded uninformed casual internet guy. An M&P9 or 40 in a G19-sized package, with the manual safety, would be near the top of my list for a daily carry gun, if it was as reliable as the full-size guns. I like the size of the 19. The 26 is too small for my big hands, and all I really want is something that fits me as well as my Beretta but is easier to conceal under casual clothes.

Guns are personal. There is no one-size-fits-all option. Why would another option out there be a bad thing?

Mike169
03-08-10, 20:20
Sometimes I yearn for a simpler a time when gun companies didn't seem to have a product for "the answer" or "solution" for every little thing. I'm not disparaging S&W for coming out with every imaginable variation for the M&P line, that's great for M&P fans. But it sure gets us to slit hairs over the smallest perceivable and theoretical advantages over these small differences. Glock fans aren't going to switch to M&P en masse because of a new size. Its still a M&P. M&P fans aren't going to switch to a Glock because the G26 is smaller than any M&P. Its still a Glock.

How many glock variations are there these days?

kjdoski
03-08-10, 20:31
Count me in as interested in a "mid size" M&P - I'll take one in 9 or 40, if the dimensions are similar to my G19/G23. For me, I think the full size M&P is just a little too big for concealed carry all the time, though I'll admit that I live in a very hot/humid climate.

I think going to a "midsize" M&P would free them up to make a "subcompact" version on their existing "compact" frame with a barrel just short enough to be workable in a good ankle rig for BUG or deep concealment.

AND, if they ship them with a better trigger/sear set up for more positive reset, they might very well take a BIG bite out of Glock's civilian CCW market...

Regards,

Kevin

RogerinTPA
03-08-10, 21:48
I bounce back and forth between the M&P9c and the full sized 9 and 40, depending on if I'm wearing a jacket or not. The grip on the 9c is a tad too small for my hand, so depending on the circumstances, I use a full sized M&P9 mag to compensate. I have trained with and carried it, over the last couple of years, so I've grown accustom to it.

boganz45
03-08-10, 22:18
Not my pics but they may be useful:

http://i34.tinypic.com/20v19uh.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/33oh0ur.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/fastbolt/MP40cG272.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/fastbolt/MP40cG273.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/fastbolt/MP40cG274.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/fastbolt/MP40cG27.jpg

sjc3081
03-09-10, 19:25
How about a full size M&P in 10mm Auto.

nwcatman
03-09-10, 21:31
How about a full size M&P in 10mm Auto.

yes! go to the head of the class!

Luckystiff
03-10-10, 02:32
How about a flat dark earth M&P9?

NCPatrolAR
03-10-10, 08:14
How many glock variations are there these days?

At least there are significant changes among the different Glock variants. What would the size differences between a fullsize M&P and a "Glock 19"/midsize M&P be?

Littlelebowski
03-10-10, 08:30

I am in the same boat. Well put. Cannot wait for the 4thGen G19s!

Beat Trash
03-10-10, 12:20
I have read many wishes for a Glock 19 size M&P on this thread. As a huge fan of the Glock 19, I think it would be interesting.

But what I would like to see is the gun our LE sales rep has been telling us has been in the works for the last 2-3 years.

This would be a sub-compact 9mm & 40 cal, single stack pistol. Remember the 9mm chief's special? Think that size gun in an M&P. Depending on the size, it would be something to compete with the Walther PPS, Kahr P9/PM9, and the new Taurus pistol.

If and when this gun comes to market, I am buying two of them...

DrMark
03-10-10, 12:40
I have read many wishes for a Glock 19 size M&P on this thread. As a huge fan of the Glock 19, I think it would be interesting.

IMO, they already make a Glock 19 sized M&P.

It's the M&P 45 Compact.

:)

Lee Indy
03-10-10, 13:20
how wide is the 45 compact compared to the 19?

NotDylan
03-10-10, 13:23

But what I would like to see is the gun our LE sales rep has been telling us has been in the works for the last 2-3 years.

This would be a sub-compact 9mm & 40 cal, single stack pistol. Remember the 9mm chief's special? Think that size gun in an M&P. Depending on the size, it would be something to compete with the Walther PPS, Kahr P9/PM9, and the new Taurus pistol.

If and when this gun comes to market, I am buying two of them...

What they really need is a G19 sized single stack, haha :D

DrMark
03-10-10, 14:14
how wide is the 45 compact compared to the 19?

S&W lists both the 45 and 9/40 at 1.2" wide, which I believe is pretty much what the G19 specs call out.

Someone can chime in with something more definitive.

Lee Indy
03-10-10, 14:55
i wish glock put out large frame in the mid size. we have a 20 and a 29 but where is the inbetween?

AllanRR
03-10-10, 18:04
How about a flat dark earth M&P9?

Yes!!!

Mike169
03-10-10, 20:26
At least there are significant changes among the different Glock variants. What would the size differences between a fullsize M&P and a "Glock 19"/midsize M&P be?

Really? It would be the same as the difference between the G17, G19, G26, etc... Different sizes for different applications/preferences....

M4arc
03-10-10, 20:48
IMO, they already make a Glock 19 sized M&P.

It's the M&P 45 Compact.

:)

The desire for a G19 sized M&P45 seems to come, at least from what I've seen, primarily from those who don't have a lot of trigger time on a compact M&P45.

Oh wait...:D

olds442tyguy
03-11-10, 04:27
The G19 is the smallest full size pistol I'll carry, and the largest carry pistol I'll use as a full size. If that makes me an internet idiot in the eyes of anyone, I really couldn't care less.

I think Glock hit a home run with the G19. Regardless of what anyone anywhere says bad about the G19 or the "idiots" who like it, it's success is the direct result of potentially being the most utilitarian pistol ever made. Small enough to comfortably conceal, but large enough to not shoot like shit.

As a disclaimer, when I say shoot like shit, I mean you can pick it up and run it just as fast and accurately as it's full size counterpart. I can't do that with a G26, M&PC, officer 1911, etcetera.

Beat Trash
03-11-10, 12:36
The G19 is the smallest full size pistol I'll carry, and the largest carry pistol I'll use as a full size. If that makes me an internet idiot in the eyes of anyone, I really couldn't care less.

I think Glock hit a home run with the G19. Regardless of what anyone anywhere says bad about the G19 or the "idiots" who like it, it's success is the direct result of potentially being the most utilitarian pistol ever made. Small enough to comfortably conceal, but large enough to not shoot like shit.

While the term "Internet Idiot" is an interesting concept, and there are enough of them out there, I don't think it applies to you just for being a fan of the Glock 19.

If there was ever such a thing as a "Jack of all trades" defensive handgun, it would be the Glock 19. As much as I have tried to warm up to am M&P9c as an off duty carry gun/CCW gun, I keep returning to my Glock 19 for the very reasons you mentioned.

I think a M&P in 22lr or a sub-compact would be nice to see.

While I would find a 9m M&P the size of a Glock very interesting, I'd be surprised if it ever happens. The difference between this new Glock 19 sized M&P and the M&P9c would be close enough that it might be perceived by S&W to cut into the M&P9c sales.

Guess we will all see in the next few months what is really coming out.

NCPatrolAR
03-11-10, 13:20
While the term "Internet Idiot" is an interesting concept, and there are enough of them out there, I don't think it applies to you just for being a fan of the Glock 19.

If there was ever such a thing as a "Jack of all trades" defensive handgun, it would be the Glock 19. As much as I have tried to warm up to am M&P9c as an off duty carry gun/CCW gun, I keep returning to my Glock 19 for the very reasons you mentioned.

I think a M&P in 22lr or a sub-compact would be nice to see.

While I would find a 9m M&P the size of a Glock very interesting, I'd be surprised if it ever happens. The difference between this new Glock 19 sized M&P and the M&P9c would be close enough that it might be perceived by S&W to cut into the M&P9c sales.

Guess we will all see in the next few months what is really coming out.

I compared my 19 to several of my full size M&Ps. In order to have a "19/midsize" M&P, Smith would only have to cut approximately 1/4" from the slide, 1/4" from the bottom of the grip, and remove the beavertail. I simply don't see it occuring

Alpha Sierra
03-11-10, 13:28
In order to have a "19/midsize" M&P, Smith would only have to cut approximately 1/4" from the slide, 1/4" from the bottom of the grip, and remove the beavertail. I simply don't see it occuring

Big difference, huh? ;)