PDA

View Full Version : Milled AK: Advantages/Disadvantages?

doughnut
03-03-10, 21:03
I'm looking for a new AK. My previous AK experience is with a well worn WASR-10 and a Saiga SGL-20. The Saiga is a nice gun and shoots great, it made me an AK family fan. Recently I came upon a fair deal on an Arsenal with a milled receiver (An SLR-95, I believe). I'm unfamiliar with milled AKs but it seems that most people I encounter at shops are of the opinion that they're outstanding. What are your thoughts about milled AKs? What are the advantages/disadvantages of a milled AK and would I be better of spending my hard-earned AK dollars on another stamped AK? Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

Jay Cunningham
03-03-10, 21:51
Some would say that stamped guns have a longer lifespan, but this would be measured in tens of thousands of rounds and IMO is not really applicable. Some say the milled guns a bit more accurate. A little more weight with the milled guns would mean a little more fatigue humping them but also helps with muzzle flip. Perhaps more furniture options with stamped guns.

Get both.

TOrrock
03-03-10, 23:16
What Katar said.

One thing I'll throw in that really isn't quantifiable is that milled guns seem to just feel better *for me*. The drop of the stock on a milled AK-47 vs. the straight back stock set up on an AKM or AK-74 fits me better.

Also, there is a certain "seriousness" about the way a milled gun feels in my hands vs. stamped. Again, not something you can measure and it's a very personal thing.

If you're looking at an SLR-95, is it unbanned? Does it still have the thumb hole stock on it, or has someone installed a buttstock and pistol grip? The SLR-95's lacked the lower tang to hold the standard milled buttstock on, so having that retrofitted is something to factor in.

Take a look through here...yes, some of the pricing and vendor info is a little dated, but overall there is still a lot of good info...

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=934

doughnut
03-04-10, 08:10
Katar, Templar, thanks for replying. The SLR-95 is actually a thumbhole stock but I intended on removing and finding a standard stock. Thanks to your info, I believe I will reconsider my options. Also thanks for the link, there's alot of good info there. I'm learning as I go.

TOrrock
03-04-10, 08:16
I'd recommend having a smith who is very familiar with milled AK's fit the lower tang to the receiver. To do it properly, you'll want it rivited to the receiver.

They're great rifles, and the SLR-95 was a sleeper of sorts.

brushy bill
03-04-10, 17:11
Katar and Templar,

I too am looking towards my first AK purchase and to that end, I've looked at numerous threads and stickys concerning AKs on this forum. Learned a lot even from the more dated info.

One thing I saw in this thread that you both agreed on and I'd somehow developed the opposite impression from other threads was that the stamped receiver is likely more durable than the milled. Somehow I thought the milled was more durable of the two. So in terms of long term durability, stamped would get the nod over the milled? Thanks for clearing that up, as it is pretty much the deciding factor for me, other things being roughly equivalent. Had been holding out for a milled rifle thinking it would have greater longevity, but if this is not the case, I can start looking at the stamped versions. Thanks again.

Jay Cunningham
03-04-10, 17:18
Katar and Templar,

I too am looking towards my first AK purchase and to that end, I've looked at numerous threads and stickys concerning AKs on this forum. Learned a lot even from the more dated info.

One thing I saw in this thread that you both agreed on and I'd somehow developed the opposite impression from other threads was that the stamped receiver is likely more durable than the milled. Somehow I thought the milled was more durable of the two. So in terms of long term durability, stamped would get the nod over the milled? Thanks for clearing that up, as it is pretty much the deciding factor for me, other things being roughly equivalent. Had been holding out for a milled rifle thinking it would have greater longevity, but if this is not the case, I can start looking at the stamped versions. Thanks again.

We are talking about 40, 50, 60 thousand rounds through the gun, most of them full auto.

I caution you against preoccupation with inconsequential increments.

TOrrock
03-04-10, 17:49
Brushy, you're not going to wear out a properly made stamped or milled receiver.

There were some US made stamped receivers that were not properly heat treated and I would worry about those, specifically Ohio Ordnance stamped receivers, "Krinks" receivers, and a couple others.

Original stamped receivers (Chinese, Hungarian, Romanian, Egyptian, Yugoslav are what you'll see here in the US), are good to go. DCI/Nodak and Arsenal USA/Global Trades/Armory USA/Elk River receivers are ok as well.

Chinese, Bulgarian, and the Arsenal Inc., and Firing Line receivers would be good to go.

Hope that helps. You're not, your kids won't, and I doubt your grand kids would wear out a good quality AK receiver of either type.

brushy bill
03-04-10, 20:09
Thanks Templar. I really appreciate you clearing that up for me.

SteyrAUG
03-05-10, 00:34
Fricking cool original AK goodness.

Heavy.

I tend to prefer AKMs myself.

armakraut
03-05-10, 04:13
Milled AK's look pretty, but the stamped 100 series rifles are more functional (lighter, better muzzle device, etc.) The prices are too astronomical on milled rifles for them to be seriously considered these days. If they were the same price, I'd just say it would be a personal preference.

Arsenal used to make the nicest, cheapest milled rifles in the business, but either the bulgarians don't like money, or Arsenal doesn't like ordering parts. Been my experience that the screwups are usually on the importers end (IE not paying your bills on time), especially when you're dealing with someone importing AK's. Considering milled AK's use nearly all the same parts as a stamped AK, the cost difference shouldn't be THAT extreme unless you're trying to replicate a type III AK-47.

It shouldn't be anywhere near an $800 premium for a milled AK, but it is... what it is.

rob_s
03-05-10, 04:28
When I bought my AK two years ago I called up Atlantic Firearms and told him what I wanted to do with it, and that I was willing to spend $1k on a milled gun if he told me I had to. He said not to bother and sent me on my way with a $500 stamped gun.

Subsequently I am glad I got what I did, and I had owned an SLR-95 during the ban and found the stamped Lancaster to be significantly lighter to me.

I am nowhere near an expert, didn't fire thousands and thousands of AKs, etc. and I have no idea what the current AK market is like other than I seem to be seeing a lot more AK malfunctions from other shooters than I remember seeing in recent memory.

Moose-Knuckle
03-05-10, 06:51
Fricking cool original AK goodness.

Heavy.

I tend to prefer AKMs myself.

Agreed, lighter weight and less cash equals win - win IMHO. But if you are a collector then no collection is complete without a milled rifle.

Jay Cunningham
03-05-10, 08:07
I seem to be seeing a lot more AK malfunctions from other shooters than I remember seeing in recent memory.

Not unusual IMO. With "American built" AKs you have no idea what kind of cobbled-together POS you might have. There are some guys that absolutely know how to do it right, but it is an utter myth that it takes little skill to build an AK.

Moose-Knuckle
03-05-10, 10:54
Not unusual IMO. With "American built" AKs you have no idea what kind of cobbled-together POS you might have. There are some guys that absolutely know how to do it right, but it is an utter myth that it takes little skill to build an AK.

I can attest to this... :mad:

Right after the AWB sunsetted I couldn't hold my wad for an AKS-74 clone, so I bought one from a "AK Builder" built on a surplus Bulgarian kit and needless to say it has never funtioned properly. I gave up on kit guns and stick with my Arsenals and VEPR.

Jay Cunningham
03-05-10, 16:37
I have nothing to do with this, just happened to see it:

NIB Bulg. SAM7-A1 milled AK $1150 (http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/semi4sale.cgi?read=226838)

Iraqgunz
03-06-10, 04:26
Jay,

What are your thoughts on this? I may send my wife up to get one.

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/rifles/ak-47-and-rpk-rifles/p/polish-ak47-1960-model,-7-62x39,-w-milled-receiver-and-correct-type-1-bayonet-/cPath/214/products_id/4082?SID

doughnut
03-06-10, 06:04
Jay,

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/rifles/ak-47-and-rpk-rifles/p/polish-ak47-1960-model,-7-62x39,-w-milled-receiver-and-correct-type-1-bayonet-/cPath/214/products_id/4082?SID

My FFL got 3 of these in as well. When he said Century milled AKs I wasn't expecting much but they look very nice. Gas block, FSB, etc. are all straight and the milling looks quality. The action was very smooth. I have to say that I was actually impressed and for the hundreds of $ less than the SLR-95, I can afford to pick up one of the milled gun and a quality stamped gun.

ThirdWatcher
03-06-10, 07:45
I bought my first AK-47 a couple years ago, a WASR-10. (I was bored so I walked into a Gun Shop and asked to see the ugliest rifle they had that was for sale.) Since then, I bought an Arsenal Saiga SGL20-01 and I can't say it shoots any better than than my WASR.

Jay Cunningham
03-06-10, 09:13
Jay,

The Century Arms thing give me the willies a little bit, but I would have to see one in person.

warpigM-4
03-06-10, 10:47
I started My AK obsession in 86 with a Poly- tech Legend Milled under folder and I really shot 10 to 20 thousand rounds ,cases of ammo then was 65 bucks a case and me and my step dad went camping/shooting all the time up till the 90's.
For me the Poly tech was the best.then I sold it and got a Poly-tech AKS .Much lighter and I did not see any loss of hitting the target with the stamped.

Ban Hit and man did I make some cash
Picked up 2 SLR-95 and that was a Nice shooter ,But again the weight just bugged me
Picked up a Vepr one of the first to hit the US My Numbers where below the first 2000 .the Holy Grail????I thought until I lugged that bitch through the woods and the SAW 249 was lighter to me than the Vepr :D

so I picked up a saiga and turned it into a side folding AK-103 It is the Only AK I own now.I think stamped ones will do the job just as a milled one ,But it is your choice in the end and your Wallet!! the SLR-95 is one of the first that came in with Zig zag Comp that was pinned ans it help a lot with Muzzle flip and fit and finish was perfect .I got Us parts from KVAR to get rid of the Butthole stock But as stated the lower Tang Needs to be there. Good luck with your Purchase I am sure the AK will find a place in your heart .I love the M4 But the other woman is the AK-103 :D

NSR500
03-06-10, 19:24
Milled AK have always felt smoother to me for some reason. I currently have two NDS based guns, but will be getting a Milled gun before the end of the year.
As for the Century... I've handled the 1960, and their new Centurion. Compared to a Milled Arsenal gun, the Arsenal seemed like the action was on bearings. For whatever reason(s) the Century guns were not as smooth.

Joe Mamma
03-09-10, 16:03
Milled AK have always felt smoother to me for some reason. I currently have two NDS based guns, but will be getting a Milled gun before the end of the year.
As for the Century... I've handled the 1960, and their new Centurion. Compared to a Milled Arsenal gun, the Arsenal seemed like the action was on bearings. For whatever reason(s) the Century guns were not as smooth.

I am a milled fan too. But, both milled and stamped will work fine.

But, I compare cycling the bolt on an AK to closing a car door. When you close a car door on a really good car, it just feels different than a shit box car. It doesn't really mean one car is "better" (even though it usually is). When you pull back the bolt on an AK and let it slam a round into the chamber, the milled AK will feel and sound much better.

I like the solid feel of a milled gun. But, as everyone knows, it is slightly heavier. It's not much, but it's noticeable.

Joe Mamma