PDA

View Full Version : Ford Bronco II

jhs1969
03-03-10, 23:50
What can you tell me about these? I've found a couple to go look at, one has an auto trans, how do they last? Any tips or advice on these at all?

Preferred User
03-04-10, 06:58
Good in slow speed chases?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcyyCi2b2AY

sadmin
03-04-10, 07:24
ahhh.. the memories, my first ride. Eddie Bauer edition 4x4, i put some wider tires on that to increase the base width since they are known for turning over. i drove that thing hard, through yards, through woods, slid off the road in 2 ditches, and i would say as long as your not taking turns going 55+ its not gonna flip. The only issue I recall was alternator problems, and the thing had many miles on it. Parts were never difficult to come by, and I didnt use the internet back then. I raided a couple junk yards for spare hoses and such. im currently looking for another one 15 years later to have on our ranch.

Rider79
03-04-10, 07:49
Had one in high school into my first year in college. Blew up the auto trans 4wheeling with some buddies. Apparently when you get stuck in mud over the rims you can't gun it in forward and reverse. Had one near rollover when I took a tight turn too fast near my parents' house. It was a nice little truck, traded it for a Jeep Wrangler that I still have 15 years later. There's not a lot of accessories available, but I think James Duff still makes stuff for it.

xfyrfiter
03-04-10, 09:38
Not a bad 4x4 for what it is . The full size is quite a bit better IMO.

USMC1341
03-04-10, 10:01
Try limiting yourself to the last two model years of it 89-90. Not that the older ones were horrible, but the late models had all the updates of their time. The composite head lights also make them fit in better today. My neighbor has one and it looks like new. Looks like it could have been built in the last 10 years not 20 years ago. Another guy here drives an 84. it is straight, but it look it's age more with the old style sealed beams.
I had an 85 it was pretty fun, but I'd shy away from the 5 speed (expensive) and back then this was carb which isn't all bad, but the 2.8 isn't the later 2.9 which is a better engine.

All and all if you asked me today if I'd have another if circumstances lead me into a deal? You could bet on it. The little Bronco even completely stock isn't all that bad.

jhs1969
03-04-10, 10:09
Does anyone remember what kind of MPG you got? My father-in-law's girlfriend has two of them. One an auto and one a 5 speed. The 5 speed is a recent buy but she has been driving the auto for years (both have the 2.9 v6 I belive), and claims to get 26-28 mpg. Which I thought was impressive as my 2.4 4banger ranger gets 25-27 mpg. Her auto Bronco II has over 231K, which I thought was impressive as well. If I can get this kind of service I would like to get one. Any thoughts on parts? Especially engine and trans rebuild kits?

jhs1969
03-04-10, 10:17
Try limiting yourself to the last two model years of it 89-90. Not that the older ones were horrible, but the late models had all the updates of their time. The composite head lights also make them fit in better today. My neighbor has one and it looks like new. Looks like it could have been built in the last 10 years not 20 years ago. Another guy here drives an 84. it is straight, but it look it's age more with the old style sealed beams.
I had an 85 it was pretty fun, but I'd shy away from the 5 speed (expensive) and back then this was carb which isn't all bad, but the 2.8 isn't the later 2.9 which is a better engine.

All and all if you asked me today if I'd have another if circumstances lead me into a deal? You could bet on it. The little Bronco even completely stock isn't all that bad.

Thanks,

I was already hoping to find one in that model range. I've found an '86 auto to go look at, but a house nearby has had one sitting around for a few years that appears to be a 89-90 model. I thought I'd stop and see if it was for sell as well.

Why would you stay away for the 5 speed? I always thought a manual trans would out last an auto trans. Or am I missing something else?

Again thanks for the reply.

RSA-OTC
03-04-10, 12:08
I had an 87 2.9 v6 with 5 speed manual trans. It broke my heart to sell it. I loved that truck but needed a 4 door for family reasons. I got only 21 mpg.

Dependable as the day was long.

USAFR
03-04-10, 14:05
The auto trany went out twice, both times on the hi-way, and not in 4x4, I have a 70 now, that is a truck. I'd think twice before getting a II. Have you seen the Bronco Driver web sight, good place for all thing Bronco.

Goog luck

91Bravo
03-04-10, 22:47
I put a quarter million miles on a '88 B II and it was the most reliable vehicle I ever owned. 20-22 mpg. I just about lived in her for 10 years. Yeah I miss her.

USMC1341
03-05-10, 00:30
Thanks,

I was already hoping to find one in that model range. I've found an '86 auto to go look at, but a house nearby has had one sitting around for a few years that appears to be a 89-90 model. I thought I'd stop and see if it was for sell as well.

Why would you stay away for the 5 speed? I always thought a manual trans would out last an auto trans. Or am I missing something else?

Again thanks for the reply.

That little Mazda 5-speed isn't capable of too much abuse. They are fine if your just driving them. This comes from a guy while in high school I could've destroyed an M1 Abrams and walked away laughing about it. The little Bronco all in all is remarkable little unit. I just liked the originals better for topless summer fun factor, but my love will always be for the 78-79 full size.

Rider79
03-05-10, 01:36
My '86 had an auto trans, I changed the tires to LT235s from 205s and my gas mileage dropped to 13-14 mpg. Got rid of it a few months later for the Wrangler. Also had a '71 and '74 Bronco, which were both in too poor of shape for me to fix up at the time. The northeast is brutal on their bodies.